PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Chemical sprays

Mags
29-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Apply to foliage at the rate of

As an alternative to chemical sprays, garlic (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A241994) sprays can be made in the home and used to discourage slugs, flies and other insect pests.
Ingredients
75g (3 oz) chopped garlic
2 teaspoons paraffin oil
30g soft soap mixed in 600mls waterMethod
Soak the garlic in the paraffin oil for 24 hours, then add the water. Mix well and store in a plastic container.
Apply to foliage at the rate of 50mls to 1 litre of clean water.
Pests
Garlic planted amongst the roses, (one clove to each plant) will assist in the control of aphids. The roots are said to take up a substance from the soil fatal to the pest. Even if a few survive the garlic, they cannot reproduce nor will they linger for very long. If the garlic is allowed to flower, it may affect the scent of the rose. Other members of the onion family are also detrimental to the survival of aphids, but garlic is the only completely efficient answer.
2 teaspoons paraffin oil
Soak the garlic in the paraffin oil for 24 hours, then add the water. Mix well and store in a plastic container.
Apply to foliage at the rate of 50mls to 1 litre of clean water.As an alternative to chemical sprays, sprays can be made in the home and used to discourage slugs, flies and other insect pests.
Ingredients
2 teaspoons paraffin oil

50mls to 1 litre of clean water.

Fran
29-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Garlic has so many therapeutic properties. It's so versatile. We put garlic in bootsy's food daily and it helps deter the flies in summer. It also helps with the respiratory system. I do believe that given to cats and dogs it can help deter fleas....I love garlic it's wonderful! :-D

Hreow
29-03-2006, 06:55 PM
In what form do you add garlic? Just choped finely? Do they need to get used to the taste?

Fran
29-03-2006, 07:03 PM
In what form do you add garlic? Just choped finely? Do they need to get used to the taste?

Bootsy is a horse so we give it in powder form in his food. If I were going to give to my dogs I would give it in capsule form. Not sure how I would administer it to cats tho :?

Hreow
29-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I've just never known a garlic-eating horse. Extrordinary Emma drew a picture of Bootsy, as I recall, so I knew that bit. Powder noted for future reference. Thanks!

Surely you don't need to keep flies away from a cat, they do that themselves! :grin: Rover's breeder recommended capsules for him, should he show symptoms of cultivating red gums, so I suppose same as for dogs there.

Fran
29-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I've just never known a garlic-eating horse. Extrordinary Emma drew a picture of Bootsy, as I recall, so I knew that bit. Powder noted for future reference. Thanks!

Surely you don't need to keep flies away from a cat, they do that themselves! :grin: Rover's breeder recommended capsules for him, should he show symptoms of cultivating red gums, so I suppose same as for dogs there.

Yup we buy the garlic powder from the horse feed merchant. Most horses I know are fed garlic.

Garlic for cats and dogs is supposed to keep fleas away not flies Hreow :-D

Hreow
29-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Sloppy reading - sorry. : / Fleas make more sense, that's why I misread it, I guess. :-)

Fran
29-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Sloppy reading - sorry. : / Fleas make more sense, that's why I misread it, I guess. :-)

:D

We feed Bailey's garlic, Baileys are a horse feed manufacturer. We used to have three horses and all of them were fed garlic :) It is good also if you get a horse who is a fussy eater, most horses love garlic. My dogs love garlic, they often have the left over garlic naan bread or popadoms after we have a curry ;) Don't think my cats would entertain eating garlic capsules though :shock:

yola
29-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think I'll be feeding the cats garlic; they're breath's rank enough as it is (and they've just got a clean bill of health over their teeth) ;)

However - the garlic in the garden sounds like and excellent idea . . . I am plagued by snails and this limits the kind of summer flowers I can have so I snall be trying that!