PDA

View Full Version : Operation Secret Garden - underway

Kazz
28-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Well remember I said I was going to take over the "waste ground" for want of a better word next to my house well today I popped into the local garden centre, for something and came out with seeds (for the secret garden) I figure thiswill be a quicker and easier and cheaper was of bringing the ground to life at least for the first year I spent about £12 and got a couple of free packs of seeds too buy two packs and get certain marked packs free.

So this is what we have so far;)

3 packs of Flanders Poppies you know those lovely scarlet/red poppies that grow in cornfields (remind you of poppy day) so there are approx 2000 seeds in each pack:)
Burgundy Frills a alternative poppy (with red frilled edges and a yellow eye in the centre) approx 100 seeds in that pack
Wallflowers (to flower next year;) ) and they are fragrant as you all know appox in that pack
Linum (look like daisy's) colours are crimson, white, salmon approx 130 seeds in that pack.
Pack of Wild Flower mix (meant to encourage wildlife such as butterflies bees etc) approx 1000 in that pack
Corn Marigolds. Bright yellow Chrysanthemums. :) approx 450 seeds in that pack.
A pack of Mixed Flowers (Tall varieties) between 2-3ft. aPROX 2500 seeds in
that pack.
The two free packs are
Poppies, Double Tangerine Gem (bright orange) approx100
Godetia Shamini (semi double flowers of deep rose with soft pink edges) approx 250 seeds.

My plan is to mix all the seeds togther seperate them into 4 or 5 groups so I can sow them throughtout the spring. ;) Therefore extending the flowering
I am going to mix them with compost/sand and sew them that way just speading over the area what comes up comes up but they are mostly self seeding (hoping they take off themselves)

I have had a word with a lady who looks after the council greenery etc and asked her for another tree;) and for hr chaps to come and dig it over first and if they have any plants going spare:roll: we can have and for them to plant them shrubs etc. She is coming to have a word next week.
So maybe maybe.

Karen

Elaine
28-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Sounds good:D Has also given me an idea for our comunal back garden;)

Kazz
28-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Give it a go Elaine what the worst that can happen you get surronded by flowers;)

Mags
28-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Sounds brilliant Kazz....if you can get the Council to dig it over that will be a good start for you. The seeds sound just the job.....good luck with everything!

EmmaG
28-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Good luck Karen, after reading that article and site everytime I drive somewhere local and am keeping my eye out for a bits of land that need a spruce up :) I told the other half about it (he thought I had gone completely bonkers ;) ) and he said "what you are going to go out in the middle of the night and do some gardening???" lol lol we will see. We have got a parameter piece of land that stretches across the bottom of our garden, and I sprinkled about 1,000 poppy seeds down there at the weekend ;) I will see if they come up ;)

Elaine
28-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Give it a go Elaine what the worst that can happen you get surronded by flowers;)

I'm quite exctied by that prospect Kazz:D

Kazz
28-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Good luck Karen, after reading that article and site everytime I drive somewhere local and am keeping my eye out for a bits of land that need a spruce up :) I told the other half about it (he thought I had gone completely bonkers ;) ) and he said "what you are going to go out in the middle of the night and do some gardening???" lol lol we will see. We have got a parameter piece of land that stretches across the bottom of our garden, and I sprinkled about 1,000 poppy seeds down there at the weekend ;) I will see if they come up ;)

That was their idea I think Emma, Ifigure if every 5th person does something I mean what will it cost? seeds cost next to nothing and some come free on magazines etc.
I told my sister and she thinks I'm bonkers:roll: well more bonkers than normal, and I hadn't mentioned the night time gardening at that point.:shock:

Although, before I'd seen the article my Dad had and said to my Mom "Thats what Karen would do":)

I hope your poppies come up - and poppies self seed :-D

And Elaine what else could happen good on ya give it a go.:) Join the nutters me and Emma. :?

CJK
28-03-2006, 06:51 PM
wow, sounds great and I am sure pletny of people will appreciate it

Hreow
28-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I've got some spare flower-seed if anyone else is keen to ninja a garden. Mostly poppy, some peppers, some random flowers. About ten packets in all, off magazines and free with other seed orders. I only have planting-right to a set of tubs, and they're all bursting with things, so no space left.

Kazz: Linum? To make your own linen from? Or am I barking up the wrong tree...

dandysmom
28-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Hreow, she could if she were "sow" inclined...ooh, bad pun:oops: Garden Linum is flax & a gorgeous shade of blue; have grown it; easy. The poppies will be stunning; see if you can find some larkspur seed also; the blue is great wth poppies & also re-seeds. Are we going to see Before & After oicies???

Julie84
29-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh wow, that sounds great. I'd love to see before and after photos too - I bet it will look amazing full of flowers, lovely colours and wildlife. :)

Kazz
29-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Right I will take before and after pictures. Thanks all for the interest I hope the poppies etc do reseed.:D

Hreow
29-03-2006, 07:13 PM
If they grow and flower, they will reseed. I like poppies - they go mad in such a nice and pretty way. :-)

Donna
29-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to the photos Kazz!

Fran
29-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Good luck with this Kazz...looking forward to the piccies :)

Mags
29-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Looking forward to the photos Kazz....hope it all goes well!

Kazz
29-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks both.:)

Moli
29-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Just caught up with this thread! Good for you Kazz, can't wait to see the pictures...Sounds like it going to be beautiful!

Kazz
29-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Anyone scattered any seeds today?;)

Mags
29-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been doing a bit of potting today!!:D
Some seeds have been scattered your way Kazz, you should get them tomorrow! ;):)

Moli
29-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a few packets if you nwould like them Kazz??

Kazz
29-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I wasn't hinting about the seeds, if you don't need them then yesplease Moli but why not scatter them by you on the verge outside your house?

Hreow
29-03-2006, 10:31 PM
May I send you the spare seed I have as well? I really can't grow any more in my allowance of pots. : /

Moli
29-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I wasn't hinting about the seeds, if you don't need them then yesplease Moli but why not scatter them by you on the verge outside your house?I know you were not hinting Kazz:D I have a lot of seeds I got with my gardening magazines, too many for me to use, will send them on to you....:D

Kazz
30-03-2006, 03:39 PM
May I send you the spare seed I have as well? I really can't grow any more in my allowance of pots. : /

The more seed the merrier Thanks I will PM you my address.:) Thank you very much,

Azz I know before you tell me giving out my address is not advised but I figure with my guard cat on duty I should be fine;) Thanks

Kazz
30-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I know you were not hinting Kazz:D I have a lot of seeds I got with my gardening magazines, too many for me to use, will send them on to you....:D

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Karen

Kazz
30-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Mags I received yours this morning Thank you very much very kind of you.

Karen

CJK
31-03-2006, 07:19 PM
i be happy to donate a few packets of cheap seeds. sorry can only be cheap ones, but if any2 wants to do one of these gardens it may help....

Kazz
31-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I do not need anymore seeds - Thanks to everyone I now have enough seeds to reseed the whole of the West Midlands and then some:roll:

Thanks to everyone. Thank you.

CJK thanks for the offer but I have enough Thanks though.:)

Hreow
31-03-2006, 10:40 PM
But poppies is *so* West Midlands colours... :-) S'what you get for doing good deeds. :grin:

Kazz
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
But poppies is *so* West Midlands colours... :-) S'what you get for doing good deeds. :grin:

I get nothing I apart from a smile on my face when Iwalk past the flowers:)