PDA

View Full Version : the 46 year pregnancy

CJK
28-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Did anybody else watch this last night?

I was amazed by it, and also disgusted with those doctors.

PLEASE DONT READ ON IF YOU ARE EASILY DISTURBED BY MEDICAL THINGS

they sawed this "stone" baby in half, and were handling it with no repsect for that fact that it was a human life. I felt so sorry for the poor mother.

And the other woman, who had triplets,twins being carried normally, and a third baby that was growing in her stomach cavity. All three survived. It amazed me, but then I think it's my nursing background that makes me intersted in things like this.

yola
28-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I didn't see this as I watched the Tony Robinson programme. I'm a bit wary of the 'sensationalist' medical documentary programmes as they can (as it sounds in this case) be a bit expoitative towards the patient.

WAS it actually a pregnancy though? Sometimes the titles can be misleading . . .

CJK
28-03-2006, 10:10 AM
what happened was a woman in a small vilalge in morrocco was pregnant, she went into labour, was taken to a hospital 2 days later as the baby still hadn.t arrived, and was told she needed a section. this was back in 1955 or 1956. In the bed next to her she saw a woman die in chidbirth, god scared and ran away from the hospital. After about 5 days the pains stopped and she never delivered the baby. BUt belived in a local legend about if a baby dies inside you it is only sleeping and will be born when it wakes again.
46 years later, she gets terrible pains again, and the doctors duscover this calicfied baby inside her. it was def a baby, you could see it;s head, and an arm etc. But was totally calcified. They cut it open lengthways and you could see all the rognas etc. I thought that very disrespectful, and didnt see the point of it. the mother should have been allowed to bury the child and finally have her chacne to grieve.

have heard a few times before things about calcified babiesI (woops italics) they did a thing on casualty about it once, but nobody has gone 46 years with one inside them before.

it's a shame for the woman invovled, i mean she was 76 or 74 9i forgot which now) years old when they removed the baby.

Julie84
28-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I didn't see it (I too was watching the Tony Robinson programme and crying my eyes out! :oops: ) but I agree that in many situations like this the patient's feelings are often ignored because of scientific interest. However, sensationalist documentaries can make anything into what they want. I know of someone who was filmed at work for almost 12 hours and they cut what she had said and stuck it back together so it sounded like she was agreeing with their point of view (which she hadn't at all) - using about 30 seconds of footage. Always beware of the media!

dinahsmum
28-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I didn't see it (I too was watching the Tony Robinson programme and crying my eyes out! :oops: ) but I agree that in many situations like this the patient's feelings are often ignored because of scientific interest. However, sensationalist documentaries can make anything into what they want. I know of someone who was filmed at work for almost 12 hours and they cut what she had said and stuck it back together so it sounded like she was agreeing with their point of view (which she hadn't at all) - using about 30 seconds of footage. Always beware of the media!
Agree absolutely.
There was a time when 'documentaries' were non-sensational and interesting. Now they just seem to be out for sensation.
Don't watch a lot of TV now.....maybe I'm just so old I've seen it all before?:roll:

Fran
28-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Didn't watch it...must say that I don't think I would have enjoyed it :(

Mags
28-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I didn't watch it either :? I'm glad I didn't watch any TV last night if those were a sample of the night's viewing! :shock:

CJK
28-03-2006, 03:05 PM
the rest of it seemed very fact absed and informative, but didn't like the wya they cut this baby in half instead of having it buried and finally laid to rest

Elaine
28-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I forgot all about that programe, these thing interest me, morbid curiousity I guess.

A woman sho died aged 92 had been carrying her dead baby, long since calcified, for 60 years.:shock: The foetus was discovered after she went to a Viennese hospital suffering from senile dementia and pneumonia. She had a large abdominal mass extending from the pelvis to the right upper abdomen. Radiography showed "lithopaedion" (a stone child). The woman died a week later and an autopsy revealed that the baby had reached 31 weeks gestation. The woman's son said she had become pregnant for the fourth time at 32, developed abdominal pain and then recovered. Her mensrual periods resumed. She had no subsequent serious illness, apart from infertillity.
The earliest documented case of a stone child comes from a 1200 BC grave in the USA. The complication of extra uterine pregnancy is very rare because ectopic gestation escapes surgical treatment less frequently than before. Stone children now occur once in every 250,000 pregnancies. The body forms calcium on dead tissue too large to be absorbed. This latest case was probably the longest time a woman had carried a calcified foetus.

Report by Doctors Paul Speiser and Konrad Brezina. University of Vienna Medical School.

bobbie3917
28-03-2006, 05:32 PM
i watched it and i did enjoy it
i do agree that the baby should of been buryed but maybe thats not what she wanted maybe she didnt know to know after the baby was removed who knows.

CJK
28-03-2006, 06:49 PM
I find it intersting too Elaine, but i like anything medical.

Kim
28-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I wish I had seen it, it sounds fascinating, but I too like all things medical. Suppose because of my nursing background too.

CJK
28-03-2006, 08:29 PM
oh how many nurses we got on CP??? that's now three i know of!!!

Tom
28-03-2006, 08:56 PM
lol good job i have fran who is a trained nurse lol i'm always injuring myeslf or getting run over :roll: LOL