PDA

View Full Version : Me and My Mum - Channel 4 now

Kazz
27-03-2006, 09:03 PM
The programme looks like it will be sad yet maybe eye opening - Me and My Mum channel 4 now.

Karen

dinahsmum
28-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Bit too close to home I think.
I didn't watch it.

CJK
28-03-2006, 08:43 AM
i was watching something else

yola
28-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I did watch it - it was very touching, and not at all mawkish or sensationalist. Tony Robinson presented a very wise, balanced and rational argument concerning elderly people in care homes and elderly people being cared for by family at home.The fact that he used his own family and terminally ill mother as a case study made it all the more poignant.

It certainly provoked some discussion in our house as I have strong feelings about elderly parent care.

dinahsmum
28-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I read a preview in Sunday's paper where it reported that the matron of one of these homes said that she was prepared for her own old age and 'had the pills ready'. :?
Nuff said :(

Mags
28-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I didn't watch it as I have had experience of it and the last thing I would want is a reminder ........
DM, I would definately agree with that matron :(

Fran
28-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I didn't watch it either but it sounded like it was quite an emotive programme..

Julie84
28-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I watched it too, and agree with Yola, it was a fantastic documentary, very balanced. I thought Tony Robinson approached it really well, he was very honest and the scenes with his own mother were very poignant.

I think the matron's comment about having pills ready was more of a flippant one and certainly not the focus of the programme, from the way I watched it anyway.

I'm still not sure how I feel towards elderly parental care. My own parents are still very young (my mum is still in her 30s) but I'm not sure they would be particularly keen on either option, being cared for by a child or being in a care home. It's certainly difficult.