PDA

View Full Version : Cat Dandruff

andrew021
27-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Jet sometimes gets dandruff on her back, think thats what it is.

Now its getting warmer she seems to be casting a lot of her hair and have noticed little white specks on her coat.

Could she be deficient in something or is this just natural (maybe more noticable as she is black).

Snoof
27-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Is her coat greasier or dryer than usual? It might be the change in the weather calls for a change in the production of grease (from the glands in her "scalp" - which for a cat really means every bit of skin :lol:) and that it's not going so well yet and she's having an adjustment period.

My first cat, Fred, often had this - but he was morbidly obese and couldn't groom everywhere, so we kind of took it as read and a lot of it came off with twice-daily brushing. Maybe you can groom her more for a bit until it abates?

Hreow
27-03-2006, 01:36 PM
All cats have dander, and I imagine that the flakes would get bigger when protected by a full winter coat. Could that be it? Is it generally when she sheds her winter fur?

andrew021
27-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Her coat is fine, not greasy or dry but soft and silky.

Its not all the time, just when she lies on me I have noticed it on her back near her rump, maybe I should groom her more.

Hreow
27-03-2006, 02:16 PM
That's the spot that seems the most difficult for the cat to clean him/her self. All my oldies would have periods of "dandruff" there, so I think you're right. Can get a bit itchy if left alone (again, judging from past oldies) but a quick brush or hand-grooming sorts it. And yes, black is a good colour for noticing. :-)