PDA

View Full Version : Question about cat fights?

janey83
26-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,
In a cat fight, there is always one cat lying low on the floor while the other is stood up looking down at them.
Does that mean that the one standing up is the boss of the two?

Hreow
26-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I would imagine so. Upness is a place of dominance, where as a really scared cat will go for low and small, hoping to not be noticed.

Emm
26-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm not really that clued up on cat behaviour but I always thought that a cats strongest fighting point was when they were on their back - so I would assume that the cat on their back would maybe be more dominant?

It would be really interesting to hear from any-one who has studied cat behaviour though :)

Hreow
26-03-2006, 11:44 AM
I can see that that would be a dandy pose to get all your weapons ready, and I haven't ever had multiple cats to observe (just mine interacting with neighbours), but doesn't the dominant cat generally ignore the "lesser" cats? Would dominant mean readying weapons, or calmly waiting to deal with whatever arose?
Good question, got me thinking. Will join Emm's plea for an answer from someone who knows better as I can only claim amateur cat-watcher. :-)

Added later: When Rover approaches another cat, he'll crawl almost on his belly in a very fetching "only a kitten coming to make friends" way (rather than the sneaking up on a bird crawl, I mean). The neutered male he met backed off, and Rover bounced up on all four. (Other cat obviously not sure about the 6' lunk the kitten was trailing on a lead, rather than scared of Rover. Don't tell him...) The fat, white madam who obviously wasn't going to stand any of his nonsense just stayed where she was, ears slightly more displeased. Rover rolled over half on his back - think he suddenly felt vulnerable. May be reading too much into that... Bad enough trying to wrestle with cat behaviour, without having to deal with human psychology as well... I'll go back to lurking for the expert now. :-)

dinahsmum
26-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I'll be interested in the expert response too.:)
I've only seen 2 friends play-fighting and from that I don't think 'top or bottom' gives any clue as to who is actually 'winning'.
Maybe the number of abscesses cats get on their front legs after real fights point to the top cat being bitten by the cat on its back, but then again, those at the base of the tail are indicative of two cats on 4 legs each, with the winner chasing the loser.
So, where is our expert?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_109v.gif

smudgley
26-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Dog behaviour :cat1

Cat behaviour :cat11

janey83
26-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok thanx everyone for trying to figure it out.

Its just that Tigger was nearly in a cat fight this morn, he was really low on the floor, while the white n ginger cat (don't know if its male or female!) was looking down at tigger.

So i would of said that the white n ginger cat was the more dominant one of those two.

Tigger i thought you were a hard man. puuffttt!:)

Donna
26-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Misty and Chloe fight a bit (think its playing) and they take it in turns to be laying down or standing up. Depends how they end up after a tumble!!! Not sure who is more dominant in our house. Think its Misty as she is bigger and heavier and has more of a character, but Chloe some days seems to have the upper hand. I am as confused as everyone!!