PDA

View Full Version : Letting Jet Out

andrew021
24-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Now the evenings are going to be brighter and warmer, my cat will be looking out and will stay out longer.

That is not a problem but she will not stay in the vicinity of the house. She would much rather go across the road into the neighbours back garden, wish she would stay on my side of the road.

I worry in case she gets hit by a car as I have watched her before crossing the road. She sits at the front gate watching then runs across. I am out checking every 15 mins to see where she is. Times she will vanish for ages or other times she will sit in the front garden waiting to get back into the house.

You read stories of cats vanishing, either they are lifted by someone or have been killed somewhere, I do worry when she is out but dont want to have a house cat either.

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 10:01 AM
It's the eternal dilemma with cats.
You've made your choice and you accept the consequences - that's life.
Gosh that sounds harsh - didn't mean to. Just saying you balance the benefits of an action with the possible risks and take your own decision and that's fine. Other people might keep their cat in, and that's fine too.

Fingers crossed that Jet learns the Highway Code!

andrew021
24-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I wish she would but there is a dog across the road that chases her and she just runs right onto the road.

The other week I saw her lying in the middle of the road watching a bird. I went out and she was that engrossed she didnt even hear me walking up to her.

I have a large back garden as do the neighbours for her to roam around in but I think she uses the neighbours across the road as her private toilet.

Her mother and father are 'country' cats and Jet loves to be out, maybe its in her blood. It would be cruel to keep her in.

As you say, I will just have to accept any consequences that happen to her.

smudgley
24-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Having experienced one of my cats get run over & killed - I can totally understand your worry.
However for me personally (& this is just my personal view) I feel it's important for my cats to go outside - therefore they do. One of them walks across the road and thinks she owns it - she just knows the cars will wait until she's finished crossing :? But as DM says you make your choice & take the chance.
For me weighing up the risks / benefits... I allow them to go out.
If I could turn the clock back & bring Mitten back I would & I'd do anything for her to be here now - but I don't regret letting her go out as I know how much she loved to run & chase & catch mice & go off mooching. SO I know she had a happy life - even if it was ended too short.

Luke
24-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Something i was allways brought up too believe with cats..They are the most independant of domestic animals and should be allowed too live a natural life, despite the time length of this life.
The old saying quality not quantity comes into affect here...But this is JMO of course!:D
Mine are allowed to do as they wish..Clementine likes to spend a lot of her time over the fields and by the river hunting whereas Elsa stays in the garden IF she goes out at all.
Its just part of having cats..they are the most independant domestic creature there is!

Julie84
24-03-2006, 11:56 AM
If you have a large garden, how about making a compromise and securing the garden so that Jet can only stay in your garden? It would less worry for you and Jet would still get outside time?

Fran
24-03-2006, 12:41 PM
It is a very difficult decision and as other's have said you have to weigh up benefits against the risks and make your own choice. A good compromise would be to try and cat proof the garden so that you can let her out safe in the knowledge that she cannot get near the road..

Rosie
24-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Just saying you balance the benefits of an action with the possible risks and take your own decision and that's fine. Other people might keep their cat in, and that's fine too.

Totally agree I have always had outdoor cats and could not comprehend having to lock one inside the house. I sometimes see neighbours cats sat inside longingly looking out and feel sorry for them (although I am sure they are fine). I know my cats have always loved hunting and if I ever get up in the middle of the night I will often find Rosie sitting on the garden bench outside - she loves it. My friend has two house cats who are shut in the kitchen all day because the alarm has to be on. They lost their other cat when they let it out so are now paranoid but I think it is such a small world for a cat shut in the house.

Snoof
24-03-2006, 02:36 PM
I agree with Smudgley. I don't know for sure what I'll do with the kittens, but I'm 99% sure we'll end up doing the same thing we do with Ninja and give them the key to the door when they're old enough, have been spayed and neutered and have all their vaccinations.

I feel cats are independent animals and should be allowed to determine the terms of their life to this extent. I wouldn't keep a cat in any more than I would force one to be outside. I have had inside-only cats - three of them. Two because we ended up moving to a house nextdoor to dogs who ate cats and whose owners did not leash them when outside, and one because she didn't want to go out and we lived in a bad neighbourhood when I first got her.

It's a personal decision everyone has to make for themselves. I'm fine with a cat being inside all the time, or even out all the time - but unless there are serious mitigating circumstances I feel it has to be their choice.

andrew021
24-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I couldnt cat proof the garden as my neighbour has a 8 foot fench and Jet can climb onto it and over it.

Just have to take the risk and let her out and about.

I would never let her stay out all night and keep her in during the day when at work, she probably sleeps all day anyhow.

Just as long as she is car aware, she should be OK.

Sweet
24-03-2006, 05:57 PM
When I am at home I let Violet out, she gets called in when I need to go to work (I work 4 hrs per day roughly) or to the shops etc.... In school holidays she will stay out alot longer (I work in a School).

Shes always in at night x

Hreow
24-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Could you make your garden more attractive to your cat in some way? Build some nice frames to climb on for an observation-post, possibly a bird-feeder (as cat-safe as possible, of course).... Any clues why Jet likes the neighbours garden better? One of mine liked the neighbours tall, cool grass, for instance.