PDA

View Full Version : Photo of my seeds planted 19/03/06

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Just thought some of you keen gardeners would like to see the progress of my seeds I planted on Sunday, I am amazed how quickly they have germinated ;)

http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440seeds_003-med.jpg

from the left side

Mint - no show at the moment
Rocket - :)
Salad leaves - :)
Radishes = :)
Squash - first two at the front have germinated
Lemongrass - just starting to germinate /Tomato - :)

Mags
23-03-2006, 06:49 PM
They certainly have germinated quickly Emma!! Looking nice and healthy too!

Donna
23-03-2006, 06:53 PM
My seeds look positively sickly compared to yours Emma. You will get lots of plants out of all those.

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes they have done amazingly well, not sure why!!! lol I am going to plant some more rocket and salad leafs in a couple of weeks time so I have a good supply of them ;) The herbs are doing ok, although stupid me used some of my garden compost to plant them in, and there are loads of baby slugs in there!!!! arrggghhh so they have been munching :-D I think I have got all of them out, little devils only come out at night!!! lol

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 07:06 PM
My seeds look positively sickly compared to yours Emma. You will get lots of plants out of all those.

It might help in future Donna if you get a heat propagator although I am not sure whether it does make a lot of difference. They are very cheap as well, I paid less than £10 for mine at B&Q

Donna
23-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Your compost in those tubs look quite wet Emma. I have been afraid of over watering.

Donna
23-03-2006, 07:07 PM
It might help in future Donna if you get a heat propagator although I am not sure whether it does make a lot of difference. They are very cheap as well, I paid less than £10 for mine at B&Q

Well I will see if this year's seeds/plants are worth all the effort and if so maybe go further for next years seeds and get more gear!!

CJK
23-03-2006, 07:20 PM
wow theyre doing good arent they. mine also look sickly compared to those lol.
I dont have a propogator at all though, so maybe why.
If i carry on with my gardening then I will get one though

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Seeds are very much trial and error, also I do think that vegetables are easier to grow than flowers. I will pop some of those squash seeds in the post to you over the next few days and you have have a go at growing them, have you got a few pots or do you want me to post some as well??

The lid on my seeds are keeping them moist at the moment, the mint says that it shouldn't be watered so I have really touched that, once the seeds grow I try and gage how much water they need, and just keep it moist, also I have a watering mat underneath the tray which I keep wet as this combined with the lid keeps everything quite humid. It is like a tropical paradise in there at the moment :-D

Donna
23-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I will pop some of those squash seeds in the post to you over the next few days and you have have a go at growing them, have you got a few pots or do you want me to post some as well??

Well I will give it a go Emma, but what do i do with it once it has grown to a plant???:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Do have some pots so no worries there!!:-D

Planted some sunflower seeds this evening. One each for me, sean and emma. Do you ever grow these?

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Just make sure it is watered and keep your fingers crossed that it produced some squash!!! lol, you can grow them in pots ;)

I have never grown sunflowers ....yet!!! lol

CJ - would you like some squash seeds?? I have quite a few seeds if you want to give them a go??

Fran
23-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Looking good Donna ;)

Donna
23-03-2006, 09:03 PM
[quote=EmmaG]I have never grown sunflowers ....yet!!! lol

quote]

I'll send you some!!:-P

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 09:05 PM
yes please!!!! :)

Donna
23-03-2006, 09:07 PM
yes please!!!! :)

Okay will post them to you tomorrow!! No doubt they will be planted and grown about three inches or so by the weekend!!:p

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 09:12 PM
lol hmmmm possibly!!!! lol

dandysmom
23-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Emma, they're looking great; wonder why we all have such quick gwemination this year....have never grown lemongrass; didn't know you could do it from seed!! That would be handy to have in the garden; when I need some I just buy stalks at the market.:D

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi Dandysmon :) I have never grown it either, saw it in the garden centre and thought "looks like fun", actually I have never cooked with it either ;)

Very odd how nearly all have germinated I am sure one packet said 21 days!!! perhaps that was the mint!! lol

dandysmom
23-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Emma, after I posted I looked up lemon grass in my T & M catalogue; they have it, but say "slow germination"....and it grows to 5 feet!!:roll:

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 10:37 PM
lol 5 feet in that small space is going to be interesting!!! lol nah I will replant them in my veg plot when they get a bit bigger :)

I am going to check the seed packets tomorrow as I am sure nearly all of these were over a week to germinate, the only thing I can think of is I used a bit of seed compost and the rest was compost from my garden, perhaps the mix has caused them to germinate quicker????

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Dandysmom do you buy from T & M in the uk???

dandysmom
23-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Dandysmom do you buy from T & M in the uk???
Yes. Have for several years; excellent selection of things we can't find here in the States (Marmande tomato, for exmple); catalogue is lovely & very helpful; have sugested to CJK that she order one; think she might enjoy it. Just out of curiosity, why did you ask?? Actually, re-reading your post, I don't order from T & M IN the UK, I order from T & M's Stateside branch here; the seeds are FROM the UK, but I don't actually e-mail an order over there. Am I clear??

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes very clear, I was wondering if you ordered from the UK if it cost a lot in postage, but as you order from the US obviously not :) Their seeds are very good. Do you order from any US seed producers??

dandysmom
24-03-2006, 04:00 AM
Yes. I imagine the postage would be rather horrible! I have ordered from so many US seed companies over the years that I can't really remember all the names: Shepherd's Seeds was a favorite but they were taken over by some large congomerate & the catalogue just didn't seem to have the selection it used to have. I've pretty much settled on T & M; have always been satisfied.

Sweet
24-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Well Done with your seeds x

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Looking good Emma.
Interested to hear about the lemon grass - is that 5' growth in one year and die back with the frost????? Wow!
My seeds are up quickly too. I wonder if it's because we're actually a bit later sowing, because of the awful weather, and the length of daylight is getting them moving? I think daylight hours is the most crucial factor in plant growth?

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Emma, DMUS
Have you tried Pak Choi (maybe Bok Choi US?). Very quick growing and great in stir fry type cooking. Nice & compact, so doesn't take all your garden. I really like it, to grow and cook.

EmmaG
24-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Never grown it before DM, but I have cooked with it, it is very versatile :)

dandysmom
24-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Dinahsmum, think the 5 feet is probably in one year, as the T & M catalogue lists it as a half-hardy perennial, which means it can't tolerate frost. Makes sense when you think about it, as it comes, I think,from tropical or semi-tropical areas. Will Google this later...yes, I like Bok Choi!

EmmaG
25-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Another update, so this has been a week, the only two have haven't come up yet are the mint, although one has got something sprouting in it and the other is one of the squash.

http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440seedsa.jpg

EmmaG
25-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh and the radish at the front is taking a bow to all of the catpages !!! lol

Donna
25-03-2006, 12:52 PM
They have grown so quick!!! Just got my post Emma - thanks for the seeds. Will give them a go!!! What do you do with lemongrass????

Also can I grow in pots as I dont have room in my garden for veg and Chloe uses the only bits of earth spare for "her business"!!

EmmaG
25-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes Donna you can grow them in pots, all of them although the lemon grass bit need a slightly bigger pot. The lemon grass you can use it in currys and stirfrys and to flavour chicken and meat.

No problem about the seeds, ;) My other squash have started to sprout so one of them just takes a bit longer. I think it is the butternut which is slower.

Thanks for the sunflower seeds, I am going to pot some up tomorrow and I will see how quickly they grow ;)

dandysmom
25-03-2006, 10:03 PM
The radishes in my front planter had all sprouted & were looking good...then one of the #+&**%#* squirrels got in it & uprooted a lot of them....HATE the beasties!!!:cry: :mad: :mad: Will re-plant.....:mad:

EmmaG
25-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Dandysmon, at least they grow very quickly.

dandysmom
25-03-2006, 10:30 PM
That they do! I'm going to cover the planter with an old, discarded oven rack, which, hopefully will be too heavy for them to dislodge; the neighbors will probably wonder what that crazy woman is doing, but don't care...want my radishes!!

dinahsmum
26-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Dandysmom - old fashioned moth balls, planted with your seeds/bulbs are reputed to keep the varmints at bay. I haven't tried it, so can't speak from experience........and I wouldn't know where to look for moth balls

dandysmom
26-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, appreciate it; HOWEVER.....it doesn't work!! My friend & I both detest the varmints & tried that; no luck; tried using blood meal which was also supposed to work; didn't; and last Summer I actually sent away for (you're not going to believe this!) some coyote urine in a spray bottle which they said absolutely, positively would deter them....you guessed it!! There was recently a short bit in Newsweek about tiger dung repelling feral goats.....Hmmmm, I wonder....snigger :roll: :-D We do have tigers here at the National Zoo....????

dandysmom
26-03-2006, 11:28 PM
In case you're wondering, I DIDN'T make that up about tiger dung...Google "tiger dung goats" & you'll get a lot of hits on the Australian research about this!! I have a good imagination, but not to make up something as weird as that...:roll: :-D :-D

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Well the second tray of seeds I have planted in the propagator have started to germinate, sweet basil, cucumber and cabbage are all showing signs of life ;), I planted these on Sunday ;)

Hreow
29-03-2006, 08:57 PM
And we'll all be 'round your place for a great sallad in a month? Two months? :grin:
Nice time of year, when things start to grow. When can you plant them out? May?

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Well some of my seeds that I first planted in the propagator I have planted out in my veggie plot :) The radishes and squash went in at the weekend (I covered them in homemade bells using water bottles with the tops cut off them :) ) I also planted a lot of seeds straight in the ground, my gardening style is very relaxed to say the least, just a case of bung everything in and keep my fingers crossed, but it seems to work lol

The first lot of seeds are now down the shed and seems to be doing great :)

Hreow
29-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Do you get slaughtered for bad puns here? Can I say "Clever cloche"? :-)

Sounds like you have very green fingers. I have light-green fingers for chile-peppers and tomatoes, nothing else. : /

Fran
29-03-2006, 09:08 PM
My fingers are anything but green :roll: Well done Emma!!

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Do you get slaughtered for bad puns here? Can I say "Clever cloche"? :-)

lol very good!!! lol

Not sure about the green fingers but I think the relaxed attitude helps a lot ;)

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks Fran ;)

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Here is a photo of the second try of seeds, cabbage, basil and cucumber are the ones from the left that have germinated ;)

http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440seeds_004a.jpg

Mags
29-03-2006, 09:37 PM
They're coming on well Emma!

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks Mags, good to see the four cabbage seeds, and four cucumber seeds have all germinated at the same time!!! lol

Mags
29-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Looks like you'll have some nice produce this summer!

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Hmm I have a feeling if all of the seeds that I have planted in my veggie plots come up and all of these seeds in the propagator germinate I might be slightly overrun with veg!!! lol

I have planted loads of veg in my plots!!!! onion sets, more squash, radishes, leeks, carrots, parsnips, peas, spring onions, cauliflowers..... lol when/if they germinate I will take some photos :)

dandysmom
29-03-2006, 09:52 PM
All my tomato seedlings have their first true leaves now, also the miniature dahlias. Both basils & one pepper emerged today; no signs yet of the larkspur & the other miniature dahlias. First wek in May is safe to plant oursidde here.

Hreow
29-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Car-boot sale for the superfluous plants? The local botanical garden does a plant-sale every year here. Great for picking up things you haven't grown (oh dear...:-)) or sell/trade the plans you really can't shoehorn into soil anywhere.
If it's just the produce, see my earlier comment and invite us locusts for tea. ;-)

Hmm I have a feeling if all of the seeds that I have planted in my veggie plots come up and all of these seeds in the propagator germinate I might be slightly overrun with veg!!! lol

I have planted loads of veg in my plots!!!! onion sets, more squash, radishes, leeks, carrots, parsnips, peas, spring onions, cauliflowers..... lol when/if they germinate I will take some photos :)

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Dandysmom you forgot one important thing....pictures!!!! lol

Good to hear your tomatoes have got their first true leaves, I don't think mine will have until next week. What type of basil are you growing?

EmmaG
29-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Car-boot sale for the superfluous plants? The local botanical garden does a plant-sale every year here. Great for picking up things you haven't grown (oh dear...:-)) or sell/trade the plans you really can't shoehorn into soil anywhere.

That's a good idea, I usually give them away to anybody who is interested :-D I made the mistake once of planting ALL of the seeds from a packet of tomates, I had well over 60 plants!!!!! :-D

dandysmom
30-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Oh Emma, you've forgotten that I am hopeless at getting things out of Photobucket; have tried everything anyone has suggested to no avail; even sent an e-mail to Photobucket asking if problem was that I have a Mac rather than a PC; answer just repeated the same stuff that was already in their tutorial:roll:! anyway, the only pictures in there are cat pictures.So, I have taken a "great leap forward" and ordered a digital camera! It comes with a USB cable that supposedly will let me transfer pictures to the computer...maybe then I can take pictures & send them??? The ones in Photobucket are from a Kodak One-Time-Use digital camera that I got last Summer. Maybe, if I can figure out how to use this one I can post piccies also ...am really tickled at how well the seedlings are doing this year...am trying Thai basil this year; actually prefer Genoa basil but they were all sold out! Rats!! :roll: :-D :-D Notice that you didn't comment on my crack in the Dinner thread about using hot pepper flakes in my pasta sauce...snigger!!:-D

EmmaG
30-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Notice that you didn't comment on my crack in the Dinner thread about using hot pepper flakes in my pasta sauce...snigger!!:-D

I saw your comment about the hot pepper flakes!!!! lol was it hot enough for you, I bet you munch on scotch bonnet peppers as a snack :-D :roll:

dandysmom
30-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't use THAT much hot pepper flakes in the sauce, justt enough to give a little bite!!lol And I hate to admit it, but as I said in a post to Hreow, Habaneros (Scotch Bonnet) are too hot for me:oops: :-D :-D Another basil up today & somehing I don't recognize, may be the larkspur???

EmmaG
30-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't use THAT much hot pepper flakes in the sauce, justt enough to give a little bite!!lol And I hate to admit it, but as I said in a post to Hreow, Habaneros (Scotch Bonnet) are too hot for me:oops: :-D :-D Another basil up today & somehing I don't recognize, may be the larkspur???

too hot!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: is that possible :-D

dandysmom
31-03-2006, 04:05 AM
Sad, but true!! If you think Madras curry is hot, then, please, don't EVER try Habaneros (Scotsh Bonnets!!!) lol