PDA

View Full Version : Guerilla gardeners

Kazz
23-03-2006, 04:44 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea like minded people with no axe to grind and nothing to gain join forces and go out find an area of unused/neglected/rubbish tip of a piece of ground that no one cares for and in the middle of the night transform it into a "garden" It appears as of yet they only do "London" from what I can see but it is a brilliant idea.

This is the link to the story by the BBC. Anyone wanting their link to guerilla gardeners PM and I will let you have it then you can see the work they've done. Karen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4828396.stm

CJK
23-03-2006, 04:48 PM
what a great idea. I know when I lived in and around london there were plenty of shabby areas needing some sprucing up

Kazz
23-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I tell you its really got my imagination especially as there is a "something" to the side of my house an area that should be a "garden" looked after by the council - well it should be there are two tree's in there and then some shrubs but no one seems to care for it. Its fenced off with some nice wrought iron fencing and a gate but I'll tell you the story - no one cares for it - I have been considering for some time sowing seeds you know poppies etc etc and planting some lavender etc in there this has spurred me on.

Forward on onward,:D

CJK
23-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I reckon it may even take on all over the country. And it is amazing waht a difference a little bit of work can make in cheering things up

Julie84
23-03-2006, 06:00 PM
It is a lovely story. :)

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Great idea, it would also be nice to do this for say elderly neighbours that cannot do any gardening and perhaps have hardly and relatives (or ones that don't care a lot) how many older people love to see their gardens look nice but cannot due to ill health.

I always keep an eye on my neighbours as they love their garden but they are starting to suffer from health problems, I have always told them if they need a hand just shout, I am more than happy to lend a hand ;)

Mags
23-03-2006, 06:46 PM
What a great idea! It's a lot better than letting waste ground 'go to seed'.......

Kazz
23-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Right I will take before and after pictures of my "waste ground" and show you the difference I will do somehting with it that I promise you
I will give you regular updates maybe get the neighbours and children involved.;)

Karen

Mags
23-03-2006, 11:39 PM
That's going to be interesting Kazz...as you say, you may be able to get a few of the neighbours interested. I'll look forward to seeing how it progresses!!

Moli
23-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea....Look forward to your pictures Kazz:D

Kazz
23-03-2006, 11:46 PM
That's going to be interesting Kazz...as you say, you may be able to get a few of the neighbours interested. I'll look forward to seeing how it progresses!!

Well even if they dont I'm doing it anyhow may get Louis (my nephew)and some of the other lads who are my neighbours (aged between 6-12) to build me some bird boxes;)

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Good idea Kazz, shame I don't live a bit nearer as I would pop over and give you a hand ;)

If you want any free bulbs I have quite a few I don't know what to do with, I would prefer to give them a good home, and I have no idea what some of them are!!! lol you would be more than welcome to them :)

Mags
23-03-2006, 11:52 PM
You never know Kazz, if it gets in the local press, other people may follow your idea and there won't be any waste ground in Birmingham!!:-P

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 09:17 AM
That's a great idea and it's a good time now for scrounging for 'no longer wanted' perennials, and for sowing seeds. Poppies are dead easy and very forgiving, buddlia grows anywhere and is good for the butterflies. If you can leave a few wild clumps it will help the insects and thus the birds.
looking forward to the pics!

Sweet
24-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Brilliant, will look out for the updates x

Kazz
24-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Well will take some before during and after pictures :D

dandysmom
24-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Obviously I didn't see the show you all are referring to, but this is an idea that's catching on in popularity here in Washington: people reclaiming vacant lots & such to turn into community gardens , making little mini-wildflower gardens in small spaces, etc....gets written up every so often in the local papers...a great idea; we can't have too much green space!!