PDA

View Full Version : Homechecks

Rosie
22-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Is the garden secure, would the cat be kept in at night, who my vet is, any busy roads nearby, other pets, how much time will the cat be spending alone

I read this on the rehoming site and just wondered the following:

How do you secure a garden to stop a cat getting out?
Why would you have to keep an outdoor cat in at night?
Is the inference that a working home (how much time will the cat be spending alone) would be a no no for a cat?

smudgley
22-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I would think they would be looking for a safe / secure garden as opposed to an enclosed garden that the cat can't escape from.
Cats are much safer indoors overnight.
Lots of people work & have cats without any problems. Again I would think this is a question asked to get an idea of the home you would be offering as certain cats need more contact than others. EG a very timid cat or a young kitten would not benefit from being home alone for many hours during the day.

Julie84
22-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Building from what Smudgley says, I think also, mnay rescues would use this sort of questions to gauge what sort of person you are, how you view pet ownership, you're thinking on things etc. rather than there being a definite right and wrong answer to those questions.

Also, as Smudgley suggested, some cat have different needs to others. I would be unlikely to rehome a cat that was used to having free access to the outdoors because I think it would be unfair to confine an adult cat that was used to this but also I feel I would be unable to allow any cat of mine to go outside, especially when my present boys don't.

Does that make sense?

Julie84
22-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh and with regards to your securing a garden question, there are ways that you can adapt a garden to keep cats in (and other cats out) but I'm afraid I can't recall at the moment the website I saw it on. It involved a construction on top of fences/trellis/walls around the perimeter of the garden made of salmon net (I think salmon? A fairly wibbly netting that cats wouldn't feel safe climbing on) at a 45° angle into the garden.

I think personally, when I have a garden eventually, I would rather build a purpose built run/enclosure for my cats though?

Booktigger
22-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I think there are two different companies that do cat proofing - one is Securacat, can't think of the other one. I wouldn't want to home to someone who would leave them out all night regularly (Ginger has spent the odd night outside when he is refusing to come in, although I try every method to get him in first - he was a stray for 3 years though, I don't think I will ever get it out of him!!)
Julie - makes perfect sense. I foster, but have cats that are allowed outside, and it can be incredibly difficult!! And I only have one door, which makes it harder.

candyshandy
22-03-2006, 05:54 PM
I have had my garden cat-proofed and it is fantastic, much better than a run as they have full access to the whole garden and I can leave the door open so they can come in when they wish. They are only allowed out though when I am at home and in the summer months.

I got my system from Secur-A-Cat

Donna
22-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I have had my garden cat-proofed and it is fantastic, much better than a run as they have full access to the whole garden and I can leave the door open so they can come in when they wish. They are only allowed out though when I am at home and in the summer months.

I got my system from Secur-A-Cat

Have you any piccies?

Julie84
22-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Hmm, yes, maybe that would be better, Candyshandy?

I hadn't thought that, even if cat proofed, I could still choose when my cats could go in the garden (ie if I was around to supervise) and of course that way I could spend some outdoor time with them (I don't fancy sitting in a cat run that much! :lol: )

Hmm, much to think about and consider for when I have a garden (hopefully 6 months to a year - yay!) :lol:

candyshandy
22-03-2006, 09:15 PM
They're not great ones but here you go :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/Fencing2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/Fabianplanningtheescape2.jpg

Julie84
23-03-2006, 11:47 AM
They look really good. Love the second photo! :)

Does it need maintaining much or do you just have it installed and forget about it?

candyshandy
23-03-2006, 02:06 PM
You just have to check nothing has nibbled at the netting and made a hole. I also trim the trees at the back so that they don't interfere with the netting.

I also installed it myself over a weekend :D