PDA

View Full Version : Need info on cystitis...

smudgley
21-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone got any info / good links?

CJK
21-03-2006, 09:24 PM
for humans???
there a herbal remedy you can buy, froget what it called now.
cranberry juice is a good un, flushed out kidneys etc. Drink plenty water too.

Elaine
21-03-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/cat_cystitis.htm
found this....;)

smudgley
21-03-2006, 09:28 PM
for humans???
there a herbal remedy you can buy, froget what it called now.
cranberry juice is a good un, flushed out kidneys etc. Drink plenty water too.

:smt017 we're in the cat health section CJ ;)

CJK
21-03-2006, 09:30 PM
wasnt sure if you meant for humans

Elaine
21-03-2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.vetinfo.com/caturinary.html

Booktigger
21-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I think the FAB has a good article I have read loads of articles on this, as Tom has chronic cystitis, but can't think of any off the top of my head. Vets advice has been to avoid stress, only give him wet food, and get more fluids into him (not easy, he doesn't drink when given wet food only) - my vet doesn't prescribe prescription food as she has been to lectures that say they aren't necessary - and being on Hills CD didn't prevent him having a flare up, being on wet food only did till Casey arrived (3 months though, think she has caused him to be a bit stressed) - she thinks Cystaid is better than prescription food, it costs about £6 for a months supply, and he has Metacam for any inflammation. She also doesn't think cranberry is worth it, she feels that cats wont tolerate it - have to say I have tried it with two cats, and they did still eat (although maybe not as much). Also, a recent study found the cats most likely to get it are overweight, unneutered black and white males (which is exactly what Tom is!!).

smudgley
21-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I think the FAB has a good article I have read loads of articles on this, as Tom has chronic cystitis, but can't think of any off the top of my head. Vets advice has been to avoid stress, only give him wet food, and get more fluids into him (not easy, he doesn't drink when given wet food only) - my vet doesn't prescribe prescription food as she has been to lectures that say they aren't necessary - and being on Hills CD didn't prevent him having a flare up, being on wet food only did till Casey arrived (3 months though, think she has caused him to be a bit stressed) - she thinks Cystaid is better than prescription food, it costs about £6 for a months supply, and he has Metacam for any inflammation. She also doesn't think cranberry is worth it, she feels that cats wont tolerate it - have to say I have tried it with two cats, and they did still eat (although maybe not as much). Also, a recent study found the cats most likely to get it are overweight, unneutered black and white males (which is exactly what Tom is!!).

thanks for the info.

Couldn't be further away though according to the study.

This is a slim, neutered, torti & white female.:roll: (not mine)

Booktigger
21-03-2006, 11:07 PM
It is rare for females to suffer with blockages though, as they have a wider uretha than males. Fingers crossed for her - I have had 2 females with it, neither overweight, although one was black and white. Both responded well to antibiotics (although both did need two courses, one wasn't quite enough). My vet says they aren't allowed dry food when they have it, although Pebbles has been fine with dry food since, and has had no further recurrences (unlike Tom, but he is a scaredy cat in general, totally unlike Pebbles, who bit me hard last night just for moving my arm). You can get prescription food from the vet, but mine have all got over it just on wet food mixed with extra water.

CJK
22-03-2006, 12:28 PM
hows the cat doing today? any luck sorting seomthing out?

yola
22-03-2006, 01:35 PM
My Balie has had several bouts of cystitis - I just get anti biotics from the vet (it's the only thing that works for me too). They've tested and he has no crystals in his urine, but just seems susceptible.

My neighbour's cat nearly died from a blockage, it was only me leaving a note on their door saying they should rush the cat to the vet (he ran into their house and collapsed before I could catch him) that allerted them to to the fact - they weren't very cat savvy :roll: . However, I don't know if the blockage was as a direct result of a bout of cystitis not being treated or whether the 2 are unrelated.

Good luck with the tortie girl Smudgely!

smudgley
22-03-2006, 02:27 PM
hows the cat doing today? any luck sorting seomthing out?

It's a cat I rehomed a month ago & I said I'd try & research it for the lady who now owns her.