PDA

View Full Version : Winston

Pages : [1] 2

Elaine
21-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Took Winston to the vets today because he has been looking fat and puffy lately. Got into a bit of a panic last night after it was suggested it may be fluid retention related to heart probs as this CAN occur, especially in crf cats.
Anyway thought it best to get him checked. The vet agreed that he looks puffy and he has gone from 5.4kg to 5.8kg in a month:shock: He was a very grumpy and dare I say angry cat at the vets which isnt like him at all. She couldnt find anything obviously wrong, said he may be a little dehydrated but that i should keep a close eye on him and take him back if I am worried about anything.

yola
21-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh Elaine - I hope it's nothing to worry about and just a little 'blip' for Winston. I don't have any direct experience of this so can't offer any tangible advice.

Hugs to Winston :smt049

Donna
21-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Dont worry Elaine, I am sure Winston will be fine. I dont have any experience in elderly cats but keeping fingers crossed for you x

Kazz
21-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Well I have experience of older cats but everything I suggest you already do - see great minds think alike.;)

Elaine
21-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I think its mothers instinct Kazz:lol:
He is happily curled up in his donut at the moment, doesnt really want much to eat but am putting that down to the stress of the vet visit.;)
Will just keep a close eye on the old boy as the vet said, like I ever do anything else LOL

CJK
21-03-2006, 07:39 PM
oooh poor win boy! Hope he is ok. Tell Him PF Md twix and oatmeal are sending him good vibes to pickup back to his usual self!

dinahsmum
21-03-2006, 07:42 PM
All the best to Winston - he needs sunshine like the rest of us.

Mags
21-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I hope Winston will be ok Elaine.....

Fran
21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
fingers crossed for Winston here Elaine x

Elaine
21-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanx for the well wishes every one, I think he will be ok, well atleast till the next time..... He is failing and he is old. I know he will leave me one day but not just yet. After all he still has his party to look forward to;)

CatGirl
21-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi Elaine,keeping my fingers crossed for him,give him a hug from me.(((xx)))

Booktigger
21-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Have everything crossed for him Elaine.

Sweet
22-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Violet is sending Winston big paw huggles x x x

Julie84
22-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Fingers crossed for Winston, Elaine. I think that party is going to be very special. :)

Elaine
22-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Not convinced that all is well with the boy. Have made another appointment for him to go in tomorrow evening after work, which will give me time to try to get a urine sample. I'm thinking it may be his water works again. Cannt put my finger on anything too specific but I know my boy aint right.

Mags
22-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I hope Winston is alright Elaine....I have my fingers crossed for him.....

Elaine
22-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanx Mags, I am feeling a little on edge about it to be honest:cry:

CJK
22-03-2006, 01:12 PM
awwww poor winston - boy!!!

I hope he is ok the little darling. Fingers crossed all is ok with him.

Snoof
22-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Fingers, toes and paws crossed for Winston here, Elaine...

yola
22-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Hang on in there Elaine. Think positive as much as you can until you know some facts. We can sense when are animals aren't right but hopefully it's just a small wobble for the old boy.

Good luck at the vets - we'll all be thinking of you both {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Fran
22-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Thinking of you and Winston Elaine...hope all goes well at the vets x

Julie84
22-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Good luck at the vets. Everything crossed for Winston and you.

Booktigger
22-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Good luck at the vets.

Donna
22-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Good luck at the vets Elaine. Sending best wishes for Winston x

Elaine
22-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanx folks I will let you know the outcome tomorrow night but he has eaten a little more this evening, so feel happier about that. He has also had a pee but not as much as normal and before I had a chance to clean out the tray to put in the stuff for collecting a sample. Timing huh?

Dee
22-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Hope it all goes Ok Elaine. thinking of you both.

Kazz
22-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Elaine sorry to read this, as we both know age and the dreaded CRF combine to make life one of ups and occasionaly downs.

Hope he feels alright, and more importantly you don't worry to much he may just have decided it ain't time for Spring yet and is reserving his energy for butterfly chasing.;)

dandysmom
22-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Thinking about you & hoping all will go well at the vet's...Leia sends purrs & head-butts to Winston...

Elaine
23-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Winston seems a little more like himself today. He has eaten and came for a cuddle before I got up this morning, something he hasnt done for the last few days. Still waiting for him to have a pee though so we can get a sample in. I think he is looking a little less puffy today but will still take him into the vets this evening just to make sure all is well. All in all I feel a little happier about him today.:)

Julie84
23-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Glad you're feeling happier today, Elaine, and Winston is seeming more himself - I think that's the worst thing when they are ill.

Kazz
23-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Pleased to hear he's a little better see "healthy thoughts" do work I sent them all evening.:-D

CJK
23-03-2006, 04:53 PM
wonder what time winn boys going to vets? Hoping he ok, been thinking of the ole boy all day!

Elaine
23-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok just got back from the vets. We dont know whats going on with Winston really. He has a slight temp' and was given some fluids for his dehydration. Didnt manage to get a sample as he hasnt had a pee all day:shock: but his bladder isnt full either:shock: If there is no major improvement by tomorrow I have to take him back at 5.30 and they may put him on a drip and take an x-ray of his abdomen to see whats happening. Still need to get a urine sample too.
If this is the start of more major probs for the old boy, I may have to consider letting him go and I am terrified of that prospect:cry:

Fran
23-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh Elaine, I really hope it doesn't come to that :( I'm praying that the news is good after the vet's visit tomorrow {{{Hugs}}}

candyshandy
23-03-2006, 08:35 PM
(((hugs))) to you and Winston

xx

Donna
23-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Am hoping things will improve Elaine x

CJK
23-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh no elaine, i hope things improve for Winston. Poor old boy!!!!
Really do hope he going to be ok.

Elaine
23-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanx folks I do hope so too. He has been quite subdued since coming home. My head is realling thinking about the possibility of making that horrid decision, I really hope it doesnt come to that yet. The vet did keep saying to me that he IS an OLD cat. But he is still MY baby.
On a lighter note Graham thinks I have been going to Eva's school of drama, cheeky git.

Mags
23-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I really hope Winston improves Elaine.....

Kazz
23-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Elaine I so sorry to read this (but you know that) I will wait and see what hapens tomorrow. I can't say I know how you feel - but I know how I felt and wish I could do something to prevent you from feeling the same. And this may be hard to accept at this point and harder to write (because I know what its like) but remember he is your cat, and he relies on you. (but you know that too)

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

I swear one of the worst sentences in the World is... "IS an OLD cat"... people should be banned from stringing those 4 words together because the meaning behind those four innocent words breaks your damned heart doesn't it my friend. I think this is the worst of times and the best of times.

Please please take care Karen

Snoof
23-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh Elaine, I hope it doesn't come to that yet :( Fingers are crossed here.

Elaine
23-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Elaine I so sorry to read this (but you know that) I will wait and see what hapens tomorrow. I can't say I know how you feel - but I know how I felt and wish I could do something to prevent you from feeling the same. And this may be hard to accept at this point and harder to write (because I know what its like) but remember he is your cat, and he relies on you. (but you know that too)

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

I swear one of the worst sentences in the World is... "IS an OLD cat"... people should be banned from stringing those 4 words together because the meaning behind those four innocent words breaks your damned heart doesn't it my friend. I think this is the worst of times and the best of times.

Please please take care Karen

Oh god Karen that really brought on the water works:cry: Had to go take a moment there. Thankyou for your lovely words of kindness and support.
Thanks to every one.
The battle may not be lost yet but I do have to think long and hard about how much I am prepared to put him through and my own selfishness for wanting him to live forever.
Will see what tomorrow brings because Winston has a knack of looking and behaving like he is on deaths door and then bounces back triumphantly.
I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Kazz
23-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Daft souls aren't we? we get upset while the cats sleep through it all we forget something they have no concept of "whats to come" they only live in the present - that they are warm, comfortable, fed, secure and loved.

Anyhow take care and all the best is wished for you. This may not be the easiest of times but I guarantee you will surprise youself at how strong you can be - when you need to be.

Thinking of you, oh Cleo would be too if she'd stay awake long enough that is :roll: Karen

EmmaG
23-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Christ you two!!! I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face!! :( I hope Winston does perk up soon Elaine, he is a fighter and a lovely one at that :) You will both be in my thoughts :) hugs to you both xxxxx

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Hugs to you Elaine (and Kazz).
I'm very sad for you (and worried for myself - Tizzie is drinking gallons!)
Deep breath, arm round shoulder "If the only reason for being alive is not being dead, that is no reason at all"
I really really hope it's not that time yet, but we're none of us immortal. Look after your kits now, as you have done all their lives, and put their best interests first.
Hugs and sniffs xxxxx

Fran
24-03-2006, 12:49 PM
How is Winston today Elaine? I have fingers crossed there has been some improvement overnight x

Elaine
24-03-2006, 01:07 PM
There is a little improvement in respect that he is more alert but he is not eating or drinking much so the vet wants him in tonight for fluids and an xray. Finally managed to get a urine sample this morning. He was in and out of his litter box all evening but produced nothing then at 2 am I hear him in the box again so got up and he had done a poo. Hear him again at 5 am and this time I got the sample. Have kind of been sleeping with one ear and one eye open all night so am pretty knackered.
Will let you know more later after I get home from the vets.
Thankyou again for all your words of kindness and support for the old boy.

Fran
24-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Glad you managed to get the sample Elaine. Hope all goes well at the vets tonight for Winston. Fingers and toes crossed here for him x

Mags
24-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Hope all goes well at the vets tonight Elaine......

Kazz
24-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Thinking of you

CatGirl
24-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Lots of love and the best of luck with Winston.((((xxxx)))) Some of these messages make me cry.

Elaine
24-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Got home from the vets a wee while ago and I am struggling to keep it together at the moment so bear with me please.
At this moment things are not looking too good for my handsome old boy. His urine was very dillute which may mean that his kidneys are no longer functioning. They decided to do a blood test to see the state of play. His blood is clotting very quickly and they cannt get an acurate reading. They have decided to keep him in tonight on fluids and try again tomorrow. They have also given him an apetite stimulant to try to get him to eat a little more.
If his creatinine and urea have risen to the levels they seem to think they may have, I will have to let him go.
Just gonna wait and see what tomorrow brings first and take it from there.

EmmaG
24-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh Elaine, I am so so sorry :(

smudgley
24-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh dear Elaine - sorry to hear about Winston.
hoping he picks up overnight. x

Fran
24-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh Elaine {{{{Hugs}}}} I am praying for Winston and you. I really hope things are not as bad as they seem right now :(

Kazz
24-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry I did not read this post before sending the PM. No need to reply to that - I am sorry to bother you, :(

I am sorry to hear this really I am I was hoping above hope it was a urinary infection - but had a feeling it may not have been.

I can't say it looks to good as it obviously doesn't and you are far from daft, so all I can say is its better to let him go before he "needs" to be let go.

Karen

CJK
24-03-2006, 10:24 PM
oh no Elaine, I am so sorry to hear this. I think winston is an adorable cat, and I just love the name! I hope he will be ok. I know you will be missing him,a nd will be very worreid about him. I also know that no matter how hard you will do whatever is best for Winston. Just hope it turns out to be something that can be treated and that you get some more time with him, poor old boy.

dandysmom
24-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm praying for you & Winston...it is SO hard when we finally have to make thst awful decision...I wish I could say something that could make you feel better...and, yes, the expresion "He IS an OLD cat" should be banned from all vet's offices...I am crying too...

Donna
25-03-2006, 09:54 AM
So sorry to hear this, I hope you get some better news from the vets soon xx

janey83
25-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I do hope that Winston will be ok, he is so lovely. *wishes*

dinahsmum
25-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Oh Elaine. :cry:
Really hope today's news is better, but.....................
if it's his time, let him go. Poor boy, he is tired.
So sorry

CJK
25-03-2006, 01:08 PM
been thinking of you and winston all morning........

hope everything is ok.

Fran
25-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Been thinking about you and Winston too Elaine x Hope things are ok..

yola
25-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Elaine - I'm so sorry, I hadn't realised things'd taken a turn for the worse.

Your love for Winston will come through - you've spent many, many years with him and you better than most will know what decision will need to be made and when.

Lots of love and thoughts of strength to you at this very trying time.

Elaine
25-03-2006, 04:38 PM
:cry: I cannt stop bloody crying:cry:
Winston didnt come home today, the vet said he is "comfortable" and he is doing all the things they "expect him to do". He is still getting fluids and I have to phone them tomorrow at 10.30. They havent done his bloods today coz they want him to rest and will do the bloods tomorrow instead. Everything is hanging in the balance of the blood test and results. But then again what if his blood tests are pretty much the same as before? Do I hang on to him till the next heartbreaking trauma. Either way the decision looms large, I have so many questions and only one or two answers.
I also feel really bad for not being able to see him for myself today, by the time i managed to get cover at work and got down there they were closed.:cry:

Snoof
25-03-2006, 04:51 PM
*hugs*

It's got to be so hard for you, Elaine... I'm still hoping he'll pull through in time for his birthday.

Elaine
25-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Because I'm only human,
it's sometimes hard to be
the wise, all knowing creature
that my cat expects of me.

And so I pray for special help,
to somehow understand
the subtle implications,
of each proud miaowed command.

Oh, let me not forget that chairs
were put on earth to shred;
and what I like to call a lap
is actually a cat-bed.

I know it's really lots to ask
but please, oh please, take pity;
and though I'm only human,
make me worthy of my kitty!

...Author Unknown

CJK
25-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Elaine, i hope all goes well tomorrow for Winston. Poor old boy isnt he. He's solvoed though, and that's something to be proud of, that you've got him to this ripe age and filled his life with love and care and affection.

Really do hope all goes well, will be thinking of you

EmmaG
25-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't get to see Winston today :( i think you have some hard decisions to make soon, but you will do what is right by him, just trust your instincts and the advice the vets give you. You love him, always have done, always will, that love is all that matters now.

Fran
25-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Fingers still crossed here for you and Winston Elaine x

Booktigger
25-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Was hoping for better news for you Elaine. You will do the best by him whatever that may be, and he has already proved the vets wrong once. Maybe you need to ask the vets a few hard questions, and ask them to be completely honest and also what they would do?

Donna
25-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Am thinking of you Elaine. This must be so hard for you to deal with, but I know you will do your best for Winston, whatever the outcome x

CJK
26-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Morning elaine, i hope it is good news at the vets today, fingers crossed. Give the old boy a tickle behind the ear from me. Thinking of you

dinahsmum
26-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Thinking of you Elaine.

yola
26-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Elaine - I hope today brings some better news for you. Thinking good thoughts for you m'dear . . .

Elaine
26-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Winston is home:D I love that old man to bits and have really missed him. ;)
Now the serious stuff, I havent had a chance yet to really look at his blood results but as far as the vet said and I can see, they dont really seem to have changed much from the last time, so he still has kidney function. I spoke to the vet but it was not a vet i have seen before, he said as he didnt know Winstons history etc he didnt want to make a judgement on a final outcome for the boy. He said that Winston was a fiesty old man and seemed to have some fight left in him but that i would be better talking to the vet that knows him and me better. I am going to talk to Heidi(vet) tomorrow. I trust her completely and she has always been very good with Winston.
I had made a decision over the weekend that I will not prolong his life more than necessary and i dont think Winston or me can go through another weekend like this so I will be discussing all this with the vet and will take it from there. Hopefully, as he is eating and looking well, he will be with us for a few more weeks and we will celebrate his birthday in style. After that I think we may be saying our goodbyes to my loyal and loving friend.
Thanyou all for your support again and I will keep you updated as to what the vet says tomorrow. You have all been a tower of strength, especially you Kazz. I hope I can help others as much as you have all helped me but hopefully none of you will be facing this for some time to come.

Fran
26-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I am so please Winston is home Elaine :D Good luck with chatting to the vet tomorrow. Hope all looks good for him to celebrate his 21st in style!!

dinahsmum
26-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm so pleased you've got him home Elaine, and haven't been bounced into a decision. He'll let you know. xx

Hreow
26-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm glad you got him back! So good to have a chance to make your mind up "in advance" so to speak, and to be given the chance to say goodbye while he's still his old self. I'm sure you will both make as much as you can of the time you still have. Precious days, weeks or years.

CJK
26-03-2006, 12:06 PM
glad you ahve him home

CatGirl
26-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Thinking positive thoughts for you and Winston.(((xx)))

Mags
26-03-2006, 01:32 PM
So glad Winston is home with you Elaine....

Kazz
26-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm pleased you brought him home - :)

Now's the time to think carefully though as you say neither of you could go through that again - each of us is different because I wouldn't go through it once. Getting him home is good for both of you. I wish you many days of happiness, its easier to make all sorts of plans when they are curled up on your lap, or asleep on the bed isn't it.

And bear in mind he doesn't know when his birthday is he's a cat.;)

Take care, I know its hard but remember its only hard because we think so much of them. Karen

Snoof
26-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm glad he's home, Elaine. He's looking better, too.

Elaine
26-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I know I know, I humanise him too much;)
I havent as yet changed my mind about letting him go very soon but I do want to discuss it all with the vet first for a bit more guidance.
Have to say it would be very easy to change my mind looking at how well he is today. He even ate Eva's lunch as well as his own:shock:. I know as well as any one with a crf cat, that their demeanor can change daily and although he looks good today, he may not tomorrow. I will get all the facts and home truths tomorrow from Heidi and as i have said before I trust her and we listen to eachother. Gonna love the time we have left though and spoil him rotten, sorry kazz but I am:D

Kazz
26-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Oi Lady I never said don't spoil him ;) don't blame me because you want all the cream for yourself:D

Elaine
26-03-2006, 06:29 PM
:d :d :d.....

Donna
26-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Glad he is home Elaine x

Kazz
26-03-2006, 06:32 PM
:d :d :d.....

D D D and dot to you too ;) :roll:

EmmaG
26-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear that he is back with you Elaine, just cherish the time you have left with him :)

Elaine
26-03-2006, 07:40 PM
D D D and dot to you too ;) :roll:

They were laughing faces but for some reason didnt come out like that.:roll:

Hreow
26-03-2006, 07:43 PM
And there's me thinking "There's the perfect emoticon for a cat licking cream off its nose". :-) Went so well with an earlier comment.

Elaine
27-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok, here's the good news:D
Winston is still looking good. Had a very long chat with the vet this morning. I had been given antibiotics home with him yesterday but the vet I spoke to then didnt know why he had antibiotics:shock: Anyway had a mega talk with Heidi(vet), she said she thinks Winston had picked up a small virus and that it wasnt related to his kidneys, hence the antibiotics. She said that she had called the surgery a few times over the weekend to check up on him and that the nurses had reported good improvements everytime she called. She said inspite of Winstons age, she feels he is strong and has a lust for life and therefore she wouldnt consider having him pts at this point in time. I have asked her to guide me and be very very blunt with me should she ever feel the time is aproaching or arrived. She said she would but feels he still has a good quality of life and is in no way miserable. If i have any worries or concerns i should contact her imediately.
I am happy and confident to let her guide me through this and was so proud of all the lovely things she said about my boy.
Thankyou all once again for being a tower of support and strength over the last week.:D

dinahsmum
27-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Good, good, good.
Now, come out of 'patient' mode and just move back to 'lovely pet' mode.
Enjoy each other
So good that this crisis has passed!

Hreow
27-03-2006, 11:47 AM
That's *great* news! Good when things turn out alright. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Fran
27-03-2006, 11:52 AM
What excellent news!!!! So so pleased for you and Winston x

Snoof
27-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh Elaine, this is the best news I could've hoped to wake up to this morning :-D I'm so happy for you and Winston!

yola
27-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Elaine - you have no idea how happy reading that has made me (ok - well maybe you do have a slight inkling . . . ;) ).

It must be a huge relief for you, so lets now have lots more pictures of our super boy Winston for us to oooooh and aaaaaah over :-D

Mags
27-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Excellentnews Elaine! I feel so happy for you and Winston........looking forward to seeing lots more of the old boy!

Booktigger
27-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I am so so pleased to hear that. It sounds like you have a fab vet who will make sure Winston has the best treatment.