PDA

View Full Version : So dry - will we change our gardens?

dinahsmum
21-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Have you noticed how dry it is everywhere? Going on the train to Brum last week all the fields looked so dry, the hedgerows are grey and dusty and the ploughed fields look droughted.
The garden is very dry and my allotment is really solid where I have not done any spring digging.
Already talk of hose-pipe bans, no car washing etc :roll:
Maybe we ought to start taking the warnings seriously and plant up Mediterranean drought resistant gardens, reduce our lawns etc?
It will be very sad if we lose a lot of our greenness. I had thought things were grey now because of the cold but am starting to wonder if it's not the start of drought 2006 already.

Or maybe once it warms up we'll have 6 months solid rain.........eek!

Sweet
21-03-2006, 06:27 PM
.......runs off to find her brolley just incase LOL !

Donna
21-03-2006, 07:01 PM
It is a serious consideration. I only have a small garden, but even so, love seeing a nice patch of green grass looking healthy in the sunshine. But if there are hosepipe bans and no rain, then it will be burnt straw by the end of summer.

Does seem the obvious thing to do is to turn the garden into a paved courtyard style garden to save the plants and grass from dying.

Mags
21-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Many people already seem to be 'doing away with' their gardens in favour of paving, chippings etc and container plants. I suppose it makes sense as it cuts down on work and saves on watering but I personally love to see a well kept garden.

Allotments are getting very popular now....my SIL has just got one and is taking it very serious!:lol:

dinahsmum
21-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Allotments are getting very popular now....my SIL has just got one and is taking it very serious!:lol:
They're addictive!
It's good for the soul to work the soil, grow things and eat them!
Together with exercise and companionship - better than bowls!

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I have considered getting an allotment, but I think the OH would complain that he would never see me!!! lol

I will stick to the veggie patch ;)

It is interesting what you say DM about gardens and watering as I live not far away from Beth Chatto gardens and she never waters her plants and it is totally amazing. Her website is here http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/index.html

dinahsmum
21-03-2006, 08:07 PM
and do you remember the allotment programme we both watched for the second time a couple of weeks ago? :roll: - the asian gardener who never waters, never picks out stones etc and his produce was great. In theory, once produce is growing it should create its own microclimate, keep the moisture in, send down roots to find water etc.
When you consider how kind our climate is, compared with many.........

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh yes I remember that programme!!! :) I didn't blame him for not picking out the stones and I don't normally (unless I am growing root veg) I must admit my veg plot I hardly ever water, and this time when we put the fresh compost in, one half of one of the plots, I lined with newspaper as I have heard that it helps to keep the moisture, you can even notice it now as the soil is a darker colour from being more moist :)