PDA

View Full Version : Crazy tomato seeds

dandysmom
21-03-2006, 04:21 AM
I started all my seeds on Thursday; well. when I went upstairs this afternoon to see if the pots needed watering, 3 of the tomatoes and 3 of the bedding miniature dahlias had sprouted!! Usually 7 days or so...was amazed, moved the pots to the windowsill to get the remaining sunshine...so, snow is forecast for tomorrow, so no sunshine:roll: :-D Don't think I have ever had them germinate so fast

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 09:05 AM
lol Tomatoes don't you just love them!!! lol I warned Donna if she grew Tomatoes that most of the seeds tend to germinate, made that mistake first time I grew them and I think I had about 60 + tomato plants

CJK
21-03-2006, 09:10 AM
we grew them in a growbag one yeear for Ryan when he was about 4, he loves gardening.

dinahsmum
21-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Mine are doing fine too.
They are vigorous little suckers! :)
I sow the seeds singly now, either in peat pellets where they stay and get placed in bigger pots before being planted out, or in sections of a propapack.
I've got 2 plants growing of about 5 varieties, including some yellow 'Tumbling Tom' which will growin baskets hanging from the garden fence,but would be equally happy in medium patio pots.

We could almost have a 'virtual vegetable show' later in the year!

Donna
21-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I am definately gonna try tomato seeds!!!

Seems I cant fail to get one healthy plant out of a packet of seeds!!!

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 07:35 PM
lol Dandysmom, well I planted my seeds on Sunday and the salad leaves, rocket, and tomatoes have all germinated!!!!! lol talk about fast!!! lol

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Oh and my radishes are sprouting too!!!! lol

dandysmom
21-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow, Emma, that was fast also!! Today 2 more tomatoes & I think 2 of the peppers are up; hard to tell at this stage since the seed-leaves look so much alike; later it's easy because the tomato stems are hairy. I know what you mean about tomato germination...I do mine in individual pots rather than in a flat, so always plant 2 seeds to a pot in case one doesn't come up...and both always do:roll: We'll be pulling fresh radishes before we know it:D

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 11:12 PM
I know dandysmom I cannot believe how quickly they have germinated!! Mind you they are on my kitchen windowsill and I do have a heat propagator. As soon as they all germinate I will take them out of the heated propagator and put them either on a windowsill or they can go down the shed

dandysmom
22-03-2006, 03:30 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I have a small yard, so do individual pots...put them in an old litter box & cover with bubble wrap to keep the humidity in (the kind with the small bubbles, not the huge ones) then move the pots to a sunny window when they've sprouted...that keeps me very busy every afternoon from now till first week in May when they can be planted outside...I carry all 25 pots from the South window in the afternoon to the West window so they'll get the most sunshine, and then back to the South window so they'll get it in the morning...:roll: :-D