PDA

View Full Version : Spot on chin

yola
20-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Fifi has a big spot on her chin (well, just underneath it). It's surrounded by little black flecks, that dust off. Darcy has the flecks but no spot.

Does anyone know what this is and how I can remove it/them? They don't seem to shift with water on cotton wool and I don't really want to use soap or anything astringent.

Fifi has her bi-annual vet check up and boosters on Friday when of course I'll show this to the vet, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do in the interim.

EmmaG
20-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Yola what sort of bowls do your cats eat out of???

Strange about the black flecks???

candyshandy
20-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Sounds like feline acne (seriously), Foofoo gets it but evrytime I take her to the vets it clears up :?

Here's a link

http://www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html

yola
20-03-2006, 08:29 PM
They eat dry food out of standard cat bowls. Sloping sides and a deep dish. One of the bowls is raised on 2 yellow pages coz Darcy n Balie prefer eating out of a raised dish.

I thought of acne - but thought it'd be like with humans; lots of spots rather than just the 1

EmmaG
20-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Yola I have heard that metal dishes can cause spots, just thought it might be the case here.

yola
20-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Yola I have heard that metal dishes can cause spots, just thought it might be the case here.

They're ceramic bowls.

EmmaG
20-03-2006, 09:39 PM
so much for that idea...lol

candyshandy
20-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Plastic bowls can spread feline acne but I don't think they are the cause. I too feed my lot from ceramic bowls. I would ask the vet to take a look next time you go, in the meantime bathe with sterilised water.

Sweet
21-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Violet has plastic bowls, I shall go and buy her ceramic ones during the week x

Mags
21-03-2006, 12:09 AM
I've got metal dishes for Cassie :?

candyshandy
21-03-2006, 12:14 AM
I must admit I've not heard of stainless steel ones being a problem :?

Fran
21-03-2006, 12:17 AM
All mine have stainless steel too :? Good luck with this Yola, let us know what the vet thinks..

EmmaG
21-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I read it on another cat site where a few people had problems with them, if your cats are ok, dont change.

yola
21-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, I've looked at the link that Candice kindly posted and the black flecks are exactly what Fifi and Darcy have. It's greasy, and water isn't shifting them at all. I will see what the vet says on Friday and let you know.

Thanks for the answers!

Kay
23-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi Yola

It certainly sounds like feline acne. Persians are prone to it. Ceramic bowls and stainless bowls are fine but don't use plastic as this makes it worse. Too stop infection setting in bathe with bicarbonate of soda mixed in water. The vet may give you some antibiotics but if it isn't serious then he may leave it. Angel has this but we have never had to have antibiotics for her. My friend on the other hand has a cat who has it so severe all her face is affected and is red raw a lot of the time. She is on a special diet to help.