PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in the Greater Manchester area??

Booktigger
20-03-2006, 04:48 PM
My vets had a 10 year old taken to be pts last week - apparently he wasn't eating or drinking and was soiling the house. One of the receptionists took him home, and he is eating and drinking well - he does have the runs, but it may be due to a change in diet. Her German Shepherd doesn't like the cat though, so we do need to find an alternative home for him, or they may have to comply with the owners original wish. I can't help until the beginning of April, as I am having some major home imps done between now and then, and already 5 cats to keep safe. I am talking to the vet later on today, so may know more then

Booktigger
21-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Have spoken to the vet, and she is suspicious that he has something underlying, so not sure what will happen to him yet - if he has an illness, it is unlikely that we will find someone to take him on (I really can't afford another sick cat, and that woudl take me to 4 permanent and 1 long term cats, so fostering would be tricky)

Sweet
21-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Poor Kitty - I cannot help Im Bristol - but hope he finds a new home and not have an illness or be put to sleep x

Fran
21-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Fingers crossed that it is nothing serious and he will make a full recovery and be lucky enough to find a new loving forever home x

Booktigger
21-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think there is going to be a happy ending for this cat - he can't stay at the vets, as my branch aren't supposed to keep cats overnight, and I have no room due to home imps next week - the woman I foster for also has no room, and the only other rescue I know that do take in oldies have been saying they are full since September. Although I might ring them anyway.

Booktigger
24-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Can anyone tell me how to edit the title of this? The cat is still safe, the vet was holding him to see if his diarrhea passed, and it has. He has also had bloodtests and his organs are all fine, so we all want to give him a chance. He has to go out of the area though. He is pure black, very friendly and affectionate, and doens't mind other cats and dogs. I am picking him up tonight, but would prefer if an alternative home could be found for him.

Fran
24-03-2006, 12:37 PM
BT - I am not sure that you will be able to change the title of this thread now. PM Az and see if can help

Great news about the cat! Hope he soon finds that forever loving home he so needs x

janey83
24-03-2006, 06:17 PM
sorry cant help, hope all is well

Booktigger
24-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, the vet forgot to pick the cage up for me!! The receptionist is going to try taking him home over the weekend - despite her husband saying she could only have one cat!! So fingers crossed for him - everyone at the surgery loves him. They will let me know next week how they have got on and if they still need me.

Donna
25-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Fingers crossed for the kitty here x

Booktigger
29-03-2006, 06:57 PM
WEll, I managed to find a foster home for him, and the vet rang to say she had just found a tumour near his intestines, so she is going to have to send him to heaven. Will be either tomorrow or Mon, depends if the receptionist gets her way and takes him home for the weekend. She didn't feel it last week, but he was gassy due to diarrhea, and his appetite isn't good. I met him yesterday though, and he rolled on his belly to have a fuss, he was lovely, I can understand why they all fell in love with him.

Fran
29-03-2006, 07:05 PM
How very sad :(

How has the vet diagnosed the tumour? If he has been opened up you would think that it would have been better to let him slip away under the anaesthetic rather than go through the trauma of coming round to be put to sleep a couple of days later :?

yola
29-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that :( Run free little kit.

Mags
29-03-2006, 08:31 PM
How sad that is.....:(

Booktigger
30-03-2006, 05:18 PM
He hasn't been opened up, the vet has felt it - she said it was between the size of a grape and a golf ball (neither of us could remember the size in between). She did say something about her experience with tumours in that area, I can't remember what though. And the main prob is that this cat doesn't officially belong to anybody, and the vet didn't think it was fair to let him go to a house for a couple of days, he has either lost weight or not put any on, and his appetite is going.