PDA

View Full Version : Is the prolonged winter affecting your cats ?

tillytails
19-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering how your cats are coping with this long winter we're having. One of mine, who normally loves roaming around chasing mices isn't bothering at the moment. Just wondering if it's the weather or if there's cause for concern. I'd say she's not really been herself since December when she had her last booster and health check. Or maybe it's just her age (she was 9 this month). She's eating ok but I just feel she isn't 'right', kind of depressed and quiet.

Anyone else seeing that in their cats ? I'm hoping some warmer weather will sort things out, but it still seems some way off. :(

Thanks in advance.

bobbie3917
19-03-2006, 09:58 PM
hi TT both mine have been fine i have not noticed that either of them are missing the sunny/warmer days
do your girls go out? if so then she might justnot like the cold so much (join the club) so is a little down cos of that

Mags
19-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi TT....Cassie is also 9 this month! She is an outdoor cat but definately doesn't like the winter. She will go out a couple of times a day for about 10 mins and then rush back in to the warmth (knows where the comfort is!:roll: :lol: ). It's a completely different story in the warmer weather when she is out more than she is in. In the summer there are a lot more things to hold their interest like flies and butterflies and other crawlies.:-P

Sweet
19-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Talking of insects Mags, Violet was out chasing them today it was funny to watch x

Mags
19-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Cassie makes me laugh when she taps the crawlies with her paw and they still manage to crawl away from her!:lol:

Rosie
20-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Rosie is 8 this year but doesn't seem to mind the winter although she does like to snuggle on the bed at night whereas in summer she would be out most of the night. I really don't think there are that many mice about at this time of year. I know Rosie catches the odd one or two in winter but it is summer that she brings most of them in:p I think if a cat is eating normally there isn't too much to worry about.

Julie84
20-03-2006, 11:55 AM
My boys stay inside but as we don't have the heating on they do notice the temperature drops and the prolonged periods of cold (although it's obviously not as cold as outside!) and I have noticed Tom looking very scruffy recently - as though he had thought about moulting when it started getting warmer (when he left his fur everywhere!!) and then stopped when it got cold again!! :lol: He gets brushed every day because he has long hair but he's a tatty looking thing at the moment!

They enjoy basking in the afternoon sun or, if the sun is in, curling up in lots of blankets. I have found that all my animals, and me and my OH, have been much healthier over this winter period with no heating on.

tillytails
20-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I think if a cat is eating normally there isn't too much to worry about.

That's what I'm hoping. She gets so stressed in the car so a trip to the vets (to be told they can find nothing wrong with her) is my last resort.

I think on my list of possible reasons for her quietness is the long, cold winter, her age, being stressed with a new cat coming into her territory, a reaction to the booster or something serious. Don't you wish they could talk ?!

Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

Donna
20-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Funny you should post this, but Chloe has been "a bit down" for a few days, but she doesnt spend a lot of time outside.

Rosie
21-03-2006, 12:46 PM
have found that all my animals, and me and my OH, have been much healthier over this winter period with no heating on.

Totally agree I only have my heating on for a couple of hours a day when it is really cold just to stop the place getting too damp. Then I have a big fake fur throw that I get under on the soffa and Holly and Rosie join me and we are as warm as a bug in a rug but the air around us is cool. I now find it very uncomfortable in other people's houses who insist on having the temperature like the tropics!! Also I have noticed that Holly and Rosie haven't moulted as much this winter.