PDA

View Full Version : Best nutrition for kittens.

Snoof
18-03-2006, 05:28 PM
In the interest of continuing to prepare for military action (:lol:) I'm going to buy about a week's worth of food for the kittens a week from Tuesday. It's been about 8 years since I last had a kitten myself, and I remember there being special kittenfood, which I'm fine on. Is there a special kitten dry food? I remember it existing but that was in a different country and I've not seen it here :roll: Probably cause I wasn't looking properly :roll:

Do they need anything else nutrition-wise?

bobbie3917
18-03-2006, 05:33 PM
i would just get what the kitten is beeing feed on now cos if you change it, it will have a bad tummy. Royal canin do a nice kitten food i put it down for Scarlott as she is feeding kittens and she eats that before her wet food

bobbie3917
18-03-2006, 05:34 PM
ps when my kittens are eating i will have royal canin and burns kitten down for them

Snoof
18-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I'll ask the rescue what they feed, Nat. Thanks!

Kay
18-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I have to agree with Nat. Fed them what they have been used to while the settle with you and if you want to change it to one of the better quality foods, rescues find it very hard to feed their amount of cats on the expensive foods, introduce it slowly over 3-4 days. Slowly weaning out the other food. Royal Canin is an excellent kitten food and follow up with a vast range of adult foods. All my kittens are raised on Royal Canin and my adults are fed on Royal Canin Fit. I have to ring Royal Canin to order some food within the next week so I will ask where your nearest stockist is.

Snoof
18-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Wow Kay, thanks :)

I can't believe it didn't occur to me that their tummies might get upset if I switched them right away :oops: So glad I asked, now! I'll ring the rescue tomorrow or Monday (they're open seven days a week) and ask them what they feed just so I can get some in and make sure I'm stocked up for when they come... I like to be prepared, could give CJ a run for her money I think :lol:

smudgley
19-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Agree with others.
Continue with the same brand of food whilst settling in. I would keep them on that for 2 weeks. Then gradually wean over to your "chosen" food, slowly introducing a little each meal time. Do this over 5 days & you should have no probs.

Brands of food. Royal Canin & Purina proplan are top of my list, but both premium quality & expensive.
I think whiskas is a general all round good brand at a much cheaper price.

Snoof
19-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks a lot Smudgley :)