PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cat Food

Donna
16-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Both my cats love dry cat food, but for some reason if they have it one or both of them is always sicking it up in the night.

They are currently on Go-Kat fish or Go-Kat meat variety - do any of you use this brand, or can you recommend a brand that you do use that I could try? Dont want to stop the biscuits as they enjoy crunching on them, but dont relish the thought of clearing sick every morning.:roll:

Thanks.

smudgley
16-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Donna - I use different types of dry for the rescues.
The only brand that *some* cats vomit back up is the Go-Cat.
Some cats are fine on it, but I've had a few that just sick it back :?
Try a different brand & I bet they won't do it. ;)

...... whiskas?

DiddyDawn
16-03-2006, 11:50 PM
I normally use Proplan which mine absolutely love......another good one is Hill's, mine love that as well but was a little bit rich for a few of them so it tended to give them iffy tummies :roll: Also, Royal Canin is very good......mine loved that one as well :wink:

Donna
16-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Donna - I use different types of dry for the rescues.
The only brand that *some* cats vomit back up is the Go-Cat.
Some cats are fine on it, but I've had a few that just sick it back :?
Try a different brand & I bet they won't do it. ;)

...... whiskas?

That would make sense Smudgley as it has only been happening recently. And I used to get a different brand before Go-Kat, but my local shop only sells a limited stock so had to go with the Go-Kat this time round.

Thought Misty might of been gulping them, but makes sense it is the brand rather than the cats.

Back to Whiskas or Felix biscuits - Thanks!

Snoof
I think I've just got a weird cat - he's fine on Go-Cat but he vomits every time he gets one of the Whiskas dry treats (the ones that come in the kitty-head-shaped plastic tubs). :?

Donna
I normally use Proplan which mine absolutely love......another good one is Hill's, mine love that as well but was a little bit rich for a few of them so it tended to give them iffy tummies :roll: Also, Royal Canin is very good......mine loved that one as well :wink:

I have to be careful with the richness of food as Misty's tummy is a bit temperamental!! But thanks for the ideas!

DiddyDawn
17-03-2006, 12:00 AM
I get the ProPlan Delicate and it seems to suit mine better.......I deal with ferals and a few of them have iffy tummies, also my Maine Coone is an absolute nightmare ;)

candyshandy
17-03-2006, 12:23 AM
My 3 have Royal Canin and Hills but especially love Royal Canin :D

Sweet
17-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Violet has Hills x

CathyW
17-03-2006, 07:35 PM
have u seen the go-cats food for indoor cats, my lot love it :D

bobbie3917
17-03-2006, 11:48 PM
it all depends on what you want to spend hills is good and so is royal canin but they both cost a lot proplan is a lot cheeper and it always seams 2 be on offer around here so maybe give that a go

Booktigger
18-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Dry food like Go Cat and Whiskas tends to make cats sick because of the cereal content. JWB is a rice based food, and is classed as hypoallergenic. Can't remember whether Hills etc are rice or corn based. Corn can cause allergies in cats as well.

Kazz
18-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Over the years I've tried almost every type of dried cat food on and off - mostly summer (as its easier to leave down - hate the thought of flies:mad: ) but Cleo has always thrown them back up. Doesn't matter which one it is cheapest - expensive the best out there. I have given up now and don't bother.

Karen

Ruthlynn
18-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Lily's now on Oscars and really likes it - with no regurge in the night!:D she was on Felix and Burns but I noticed she was sick a couple of times. She;s fine with oscars

bobbie3917
18-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Dry food like Go Cat and Whiskas tends to make cats sick because of the cereal content. JWB is a rice based food, and is classed as hypoallergenic. Can't remember whether Hills etc are rice or corn based. Corn can cause allergies in cats as well.

Burns also do a hypoallergenic cat food and they have also started doing a kitten food as well

Kay
19-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Mine are all fed on Royal Canin Fit and love it. Occassionally they have brought it back but it is when they have a hairball which is inevitable with Persians.

candyshandy
19-03-2006, 06:59 PM
As soon as I put down the Royal Canin they loved it, I've also just tried them with the Silhouette type and same again - amazing considering its low fat!

My mum has recently adopted an older persian who wouldn't touch biccies. Tried him on a few varieties and he too has taken to munching the RC.

The only time I find any sick is if they have a hairball.