PDA

View Full Version : Choose Bath or Shower?

Kazz
16-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I am seriously considering removing the bath andhaving a walk in shower put in as I am not considering moving (not leaving Oscar) resale won't matter. Just a bit undecided - at the moment have a bath with a shower over.

Karen

EmmaG
16-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmmm I like both, bath in the winter and showers in the summer, I also have a shower over the bath, is your bathroom big enough to get both in??

Donna
16-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I like showers in the morning to wake me up then a bath in the evening to send me to sleep!

yola
17-03-2006, 09:55 AM
We've had showers only for the past 6 years here, and to be honest have not missed a bath one little bit. I am now seriously considering putting a bath back in with a new baby on it's way and Dominik refusing showers (and growing out of his baby bath), it's looking more and more like a neccesity :( . So I think a shower over the bath will be a bit of a compromise for a while but will have to be done.

As you say - resale is an issue, if you plan to stay in your current house (as we did), then it's not really a concern. You can get some amazing walk-in showers or even consider a wet room if you're feeling really brave.

We built our shower out of glass bricks with custom made toughened glass splashbacks rather that tiles . . . you can see the edge of it here . . . it's built into the corner of the room and is nice and spacious :-D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/House/Bathroom.jpg

dinahsmum
17-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Both have their attractions but there is a strong case for a really good walk-in shower with power features etc.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_3_110v.gif
If I did that I'd also try to find room for a bidet. Really don't know why we don't have them as standard.........both for their proper pupose and for foot soaking! :oops:

Julie84
17-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I prefer showers but only if they are really good (and am not really a fan of over the bath jobbies!). We have a shower over our bath but I only ever have baths because the shower is awful. I think I would like the choice even if we had a great shower. And as Yola pointed out, a shower only can be a bit of a problem when you have children.

We have been having lots of power cuts recently and as I don't want the cats anywhere near candles, me and Neil were confining ourselves to one room and making sure the cats weren't in it (notice how we shut ourselves in a room so the cats have the run of the rest of the house rather than the other way round!!! :roll: ). Anyway, the other night I put lots of candles round the bath (no electricity again!) and had a nice long soak and Neil sat on the floor talking to me, it was really lovely - showers are so functional in comparison! :lol:

Jac
17-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Kazz
I had my bath removed a few months ago in favour of a walk in shower. It's the best thing I have done, I love it. Unfortunatly it was for health reasons but it's great amd opens up the room. We have so much more room now. I even have big plants in there!

Kim
17-03-2006, 12:59 PM
I love a shower in the mornings to wake me up and great for hair washing, but I love a soak in a warm bubble bath after a hard day, nothing like it. I suppose we are lucky that we have a shower in the en-suite and a bath in the bathroom, if we didn't I think the best compromise is a shower over the bath.

EmmaG
17-03-2006, 01:23 PM
We've had showers only for the past 6 years here, and to be honest have not missed a bath one little bit. I am now seriously considering putting a bath back in with a new baby on it's way and Dominik refusing showers (and growing out of his baby bath), it's looking more and more like a neccesity :( . So I think a shower over the bath will be a bit of a compromise for a while but will have to be done.

As you say - resale is an issue, if you plan to stay in your current house (as we did), then it's not really a concern. You can get some amazing walk-in showers or even consider a wet room if you're feeling really brave.

We built our shower out of glass bricks with custom made toughened glass splashbacks rather that tiles . . . you can see the edge of it here . . . it's built into the corner of the room and is nice and spacious :-D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/House/Bathroom.jpg

Yola what a beautiful looking bathroom :)

Julie84
17-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Yola what a beautiful looking bathroom :)

I agree, it is very nice! :)

yola
17-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks!

Julie - the picture you describe of a bath surrounded with candles and your man sitting chatting with you whilst you soak is so romantic it makes me want to run out and get a bath installed pronto ;) .

dinahsmum
17-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Great shower Yola - but it is such a nice thing to sit by the bath whilst a little one (or both your little ones) have a fun time and a nice wind down at the end of the day. Dilemma! :?

yola
17-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I know DM . . . I think the bath's a foregone conclusion now :( . Still - I've seen some nice contemporary ones that'll look great ;) and any excuse for a bit of a bathroom makeover ;)

Sweet
17-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I enjoy both x