PDA

View Full Version : What made you buy your house?

Kazz
16-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay just a thought when you brought your house why did you fall in love with it,

What made you love that house; the feel, the area, the neighbours, a specific room like the kitchen - even if you knew you would change it later? what was it that made you choose your house?????

Karen

Jac
16-03-2006, 05:31 PM
He he OH lived in it. He had a bigger council house so we moved in. Bought it as an investment.

Donna
16-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I chose my house when I had left the ex and was homeless for four months! I was living between my sisters and my mum and dads with the children so was keenly looking. I could of picked very neat two/three bed house in the area I chose but wanted a three separate bedroom house so chose my one.

Was very tatty. Old 1970's brown carpet tiles throughout, nasty old wallpaper, horrendous loo and bathroom and dreary kitchen - but it had three separate bedrooms and original victorian fireplaces so chose this one and have done it all up!!

Just the kitchen left which is going to be delivered in April!!

dinahsmum
16-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Love it. Has everything we need. Room over (oversized) garage for OH's office, almost traffic free road for the cats, 3 different walks for the dog and a 20foot square bedroom in the attic for me. Brewery 400 yards away..............what more could anyone want!

Kazz
16-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I knew this would bring people to life;)

dinahsmum
16-03-2006, 05:37 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Whassa??????????

yola
16-03-2006, 06:06 PM
We were renting so had to move quickly. We just missed out on a Victorian house, and this one wasn't even on the market, but the agent had just that day taken an instruction. We went to see it, and just fell in love with it and made an offer for the full asking price - the space (4 floors), the style (regency), the proximity to the town centre (a double edged sword), and really just its uniqueness and potential together with the fact that we just felt at home immediately did it for us. Sometimes I still can't believe we live in it!! (won't say own coz that honour belongs to the mortgage co)

It was covered in white-painted wood-chip and we have done a lot to it over the 8 years and 1 day we've been here - all that remains of any real significance is the kitchen!!

Front . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/House/Cat_pictures_014.jpg

Back . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/House/Cat_pictures_007.jpg

Moli
16-03-2006, 06:28 PM
We chose our new bungalow mainly because it has a huge conservatory!!!something I have always wanted!

Jac
16-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Well I have an in door toilet! non comunal washing machine and 6 people to live in it:D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Moli
16-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Well I have an in door toilet! non comunal washing machine and 6 people to live in it:D :D :D :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jac
16-03-2006, 06:44 PM
That was for Bob:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just re read my first post. It sounds like we all live in the washing machine.

EmmaG
16-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Moli and Andy I hope you settle into your new homes soon.

Well are neighbours are very good, one side is very quiet and keep themselves to themselves, and the other are two pensioners who we get on well with, since living here (about 8 years) nearly every year we have invited each other over for New Years Eve, also their neighbours who moved in also host new years eve so it is really nice. As I grow veg and they do too we have competitions who can grow the best of certain veg, it is very entertaining and very interesting how different plots do.

When we first saw the bungalow we now live in I thought we could do a lot to this, and it felt like home more or less straight away. The road we live down is fairly quiet we have some undesirables living up the road but they have always been pleasant to me, the other neighbours moan about them a bit.

Jac
16-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Well I know first hand about Moli's neighbours from when I stayed with her. I dont know how she's kept the head for so long. Me, well cant say I would have been so patient.
My neighbours are my OH's ex brother in law. Brilliant NOT. In the sumer his ex comes to sun worship in there garden and talks and laughs really loudley just to get to me. As for them it's a wonder I haven't killed them. When I had my daughter they went out there way to play there music really loudly. Mind you because of that she can sleep through anything.

yola
16-03-2006, 08:40 PM
When I had my daughter they went out there way to play there music really loudly.

My neighbours (on one side) at the time when Dominik was born was a gay guy who had lost his job shortly after buying the house and subsequently populated it with his little gay mates (them prancing around the garden in face packs was funny). What was not quite so funny was their very loud party 2 days after I brought Domi home. Hubby did his usual 'turn over and go to sleep' :roll: , so I picked up a big fat paintbrush we'd been decorating with, stormed up to the front door and pounded on it 'hardish' ;) with the brush. Broke the brush and dented their door . . . they were too chicken to come out :shock: but the music got turned down sharpish and they'd moved less that a year later :lol:

(Vicious hormones I put it down to . . . ;) )

Moli
16-03-2006, 08:42 PM
My neighbours (on one side) at the time when Dominik was born was a gay guy who had lost his job shortly after buying the house and subsequently populated it with his little gay mates (them prancing around the garden in face packs was funny). What was not quite so funny was their very loud party 2 days after I brought Domi home. Hubby did his usual 'turn over and go to sleep' :roll: , so I picked up a big fat paintbrush we'd been decorating with, stormed up to the front door and pounded on it 'hardish' ;) with the brush. Broke the brush and dented their door . . . they were too chicken to come out :shock: but the music got turned down sharpish and they'd moved less that a year later :lol:

(Vicious hormones I put it down to . . . ;) )Thats the way to do it Yola!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Naomi
16-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I wouldn't say I 'loved' my house. We were desperate to get out of our mid-terrace house as the kids were growing we had the dog and just generally needed more space, however I do love my kitchen it's 16' x 12' approx and there is soooo much space in it and I like my garden (well will do once it's finished) cos that's huge aswell. We are putting up a double garage approx 5.5m x 5.4m and we still have room for 2 garden sheds without compromising on the space for kiddies to play.

I wasn't really comfortable when I first went into the house as the previous owners were into Voodoo and stuff like that but once we'd started stripping the posters they'd left on the walls the place felt a lot calmer and I'm begining to enjoy living here, it's only taken me 4 years lol

Kazz
16-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi Naomi

How is the garage coming on.........I must tell you though once its finished I will be sad I am kinda "hooked" on hearing about the serial of getting it built ;)

logoes
16-03-2006, 09:16 PM
We had been house-hunting for 18 months, then sold our old house and had to get out in four weeks, so moved in here as the best at that time. That was 10 years ago and are still here. Have got itchy feet again but think we are stuck here for a few more years. We do have a great view across a valley and can see the Lakeland Fells and the Pennines. Lots of wildlife to watch and easy-going neighbours to talk to. Logoes.

dandysmom
16-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Location, location, location as the realtors say: the house is only 6 blocks from the rental house I grew up in; it's on the bus line (very important), within walking distance of almost everything you could want: 3 markets, library, laundromat, bank, liquor store, hardware store, pizzeria & great variety of restaraunts! Also, nice big back yard that I could fence in & front porch that I could screen..did both. It's roomy, & the one thing I loved was that it was the end row house so I had sun coming in 3 sides!!! I grew up in an inside row. Been here 42 years now!!

Kazz
16-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Location, location, location as the realtors say: the house is only 6 blocks from the rental house I grew up in; it's on the bus line (very important), within walking distance of almost everything you could want: 3 markets, library, laundromat, bank, liquor store, hardware store, pizzeria & great variety of restaraunts! Also, nice big back yard that I could fence in & front porch that I could screen..did both. It's roomy, & the one thing I loved was that it was the end row house so I had sun coming in 3 sides!!! I grew up in an inside row. Been here 42 years now!!

Sounds pretty much perfect. Only thing missing is me as your neighbour;) not that you'd want me.:roll:

dandysmom
16-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I'd love to have you for a neighbor!! But I do love my neighbor, who actually was a friend before he bought the house...the former owner was in her 90's & very quiet, never gave parties (!!) & I was so spoiled for all the years with the quiet...well, what goes around, comes around, as they say...Chris had it practically gutted inside & rebuilt...over a year of hammering and banging...if he weren't one of my dearest friends I would have killed him:roll: :-D I am not a dog person, but admit I rather like his 2 little Jack Russell terriers....Leia takes a VERY dim view of them....:roll:

Moli
16-03-2006, 10:43 PM
That was for Bob:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just re read my first post. It sounds like we all live in the washing machine.Made a point of showing Bob that post Jac....:lol: :lol: