PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 - The Falling Man

dinahsmum
16-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Will you watch this - 9pm, Channel 4 tonight?
I will record, and decide whether to watch later.
9/11 was probably the busiest, or one of the busiest days of my working life. We had a huge & very lucrative conference booked and I was rostered to do more or less 36 hours straight, from Tuesday morning to Wednesday fternoon, well before the event. I must be one of the few people not to have really been aware of what was going on until tea-time the next day. We knew of the event, but had no means of seeing a TV.
Even all those hours later, I can still recall the feelings on seeing the impacts......................
I'm not sure watching people chose to die quickly rather than slowly is a good way to watch TV

I think I would have jumped...........but maybe not. :(

CJK
16-03-2006, 03:36 PM
I had gone out shopping when it happened, and remember seeing a tv had been put out the front of every shop that sold them and people were crowded around. The first shop i saw this at i thought maybe they were demmonstrating soemthing or having a huge sale. wasnt until the next shop I went to see.
People stood around the tv's crying and watching it, there was nobody left shopping.
Dont think I could watch the prog without crying and get upset so I think i'll miss it.

yola
16-03-2006, 04:45 PM
The voyeouristic part of me is compelled to watch it - however common decency tells me to miss it. I think to build a programme about someone's tragic last moments is obscene and insensitive.

I think we can all remember where we were and what we were doing at the time. I watched it unfold in the ad agency I worked in at the time on their big meeting room monitor. I heard that a plane had flown into a building, but we all anticipated it to be a light aircraft that had gone astray - the true enormity of it was waaay to much to comprehend when we realised what was going on and saw the 2nd jet . . .

One guy around the table was laughing, but most of us were just struck dumb by shock. I was dealing with a supplier in New York at the time, and was on the phone to her a couple of hours after it happened and I just was lost for words as to what to say to her.

Sweet
16-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Knew nothing until late evening.....was at my Mums Funeral

dinahsmum
16-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I believe the prog is as much about the media coverage as it is with the event. e.g. One of the students working with us came in to say he had been watching people jumping, but that had all been ironed out of the coverage by the time I saw it next day.

We had a conference for the US State Dept 2 weeks later (think it started on 19th Sept). Our contact was in the Pentagon............ Much relief when she responded to our 'are you OK?' emails. We weren't sure the conference would go ahead, but it did. We went from extraordinarily laid back but efficient (our hallmark!) to security +++. (Amazing how the local cops always turned up to check everything was OK at coffee + mini-Danish or tea and rich fruit case time! :roll: :) )

dinahsmum
16-03-2006, 05:10 PM
oh Sweet.......................:(

Kim
16-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I will probably watch it, although I know it will be incredibly sad. I don't think it is obscene and hopefully will have been done sensitively, I think it is difficult for us to comprehend the choice those people had and will help us to realise the enormity and consequences of this moment in history.

Jac
16-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh sweet, I'm so sorry

Donna
16-03-2006, 05:37 PM

So sorry Sweet x

Donna
16-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I heard it on the radio in my car waiting for the children to come out of school. Sat glued to the TV all evening in a state of dis-belief. Not sure if I want to watch the programme or not.

Mags
16-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I was making my granddaughter's 1st birthday cake at the time...all the enjoyment suddenly went out of it:( I don't think I could watch it again, far too sad........

EmmaG
16-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I remember being at work when it happened and I was on the BBC website when the news broke. We couldn't believe what was happening and it just got worse.

I don't think I will be watching it tonight, it must be incredibly sad for the relatives and loved ones of that man who jumped, and if it was me, I wouldn't want to see the death of my OH broadcasted on TV :(

EmmaG
16-03-2006, 07:51 PM

I am so sorry Sweet :( :cry:

Elaine
16-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I am so sorry Sweet :( :cry:

Me too:(:cry:

Elaine
16-03-2006, 08:13 PM
I probably wont watch it coz I find it too disturbing and very very sad:(

andy
16-03-2006, 08:14 PM
dont know if I will watch ,I remember seeing it unfold on the tv , was bad enough then

EmmaG
16-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Also I don't wish to give the monsters who did this any air time.

bobbie3917
18-03-2006, 12:06 AM
i watched it and i have to say that i think i would of jumped as well i think he and the others done the right thing in doing it as well

knowing i was doing to die i would rather pick the way it would happen rather then be killed by these mad men.

i was at my daughters school and didnt know anything about it till getting home as i turnd the TV on the second plain hit

Sorry Sweet