PDA

View Full Version : Introducing cats to dogs

dinahsmum
15-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Anyone any experience/advice on introducing the two species, particularly young adults of both.
I can imagine people involved in rescue would have most experience.
Thanks in advance

Luke
15-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Well we did the un-thinkable and took on Elsa when florrie (westie x dandie dinmont) was only 6 and half (ish) months old....and i will be honest that was hell as the pair of them became thick as thieves and were like vikings...destroying everything in their path.
In a sense in our house the pets have no 'formal' introduction...the baby/babies just make a casual 'appearence' in the lounge one day..and the other animals sort of note their there but have far more important things too do then worry about the wee darlings that have just entered the home.
i found from day one, Elsa was best mates with both the terriers and she still to this day, doesnt like to be to far away from them. We had more a problem with the ahem..other feline of the house feeling as if her nose had been pushed out of joint, but that changed with time.
If i remember rightly one day Elsa was playing on the sofa when the dogs barged in ( :roll: ), and then they had a sniff and Elsa did a bit of her thunderbum stuff (hissing and growling!) then after a few hours she was fine...
I think the main thing is not too leave it to long in introducing the pets once the 'babies' have come to the house, and mainly not to worry to much.
Our lot are 'thrown' together and they sort their own battles out...in our case it works, whereas i know if we tried to pacify each pet member of the house to get them to accept the new addition they would just go the other way and not accept them just to get more attention!
We are lucky in a sense we have 'The Queen Of The House', polly our JRT who has seen so many baby animals over her years she has no quarrel with putting them in their place..
I think Dinah and any new kittens you get will be fine given time DM!:D

Rosie
15-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I use to own a large working breed and now have a lurcher. They have all lived with cats but the introduction time was approx 2 days for them to calm down. I usually bring the cat in in a cat box and keep the dogs on a lead at a distance and let them eye each other for a couple of hours. I then put the cat into a spare room with all the necessaries i.e. cat litter, food and water. The dogs can sniff around outside and then leave it until the next day. I then open the door for the cat to nosey round but keep the dog on a lead so that the dog can see the cat but not be able to get to it. As I say I keep this going for up to 2 days or more if necessary. Things usually settle down fine after that once the dog knows that the cat is "family".

dinahsmum
15-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks both.
There's a 3 year old cream bsh needing a new home...............................
*goes off for even more thinking*

Emm
15-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I had my cats long before I had my dogs and they hated dogs! But I didn't make a fuss about them I just let them get on with it - it took time but they now tolerate each other and when the sun is out they will all sleep together in the sun.

The dogs just need to learn that cats don't appreciate being herded :lol:

When I fostered Tippy Toes she hated cats and dogs but I just brought her home let her go in my living room and she actually bonded with my dogs before she did with the cats - she never liked the other cats.

Kay
15-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Never had a problem with any of mine. We had three cats first and then got 2 dogs followed by more cats then another dog and another cat. They have all just got on really well. Persians are very laid back though.

JemBob
15-03-2006, 03:00 PM
oscar was 5 when i got him introduced this to oscar hated him from the first second he saw him lol but they live together so to speak no fights its pretty good and you saw th pic before on how close they were together rocky likes oscar but oscar hates rocky :roll: :lol: honestly!