PDA

View Full Version : Micro chipping

Elaine
15-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I am thinking about getting the cats micro chipped, especially if we plan to move to somewhere the cats can have a fair bit of access to the great outdoors. Eva goes out into the back garden at the moment but only when i am home. Bernie hasnt expressed any kind of wish to go outdoors as yet but he may well do when Eva has fully accepted him and he has more freedom around the house.
Anyway my real question is, how painful would it be to have them chipped? How much stress would it cause them?
I know many people have their cats chipped at the same time as they are being neutered, but at that time Eva was going to be an indoor cat and Bernie was one of Dawns rescues, as she is an independant rescue and has so many poorly ones to look after and neuter, she cannt be expected to get them all chipped as well.
All that aside, I would like to have them chipped but due to Eva's sensitive nature and fear of causing alot of distress to them both, I would like to know of peoples views and experiences.

Booktigger
15-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Are either due for any dentals or anything else that needs an anaesthetic? If so, it could be done then. Pebbles is the only one of mine to be done, she was fine with the needle being inserted, but then they had to press a button to release the chip, and she did try and bite the vet nurse at that point - she is known for being very temperamental. It is only seconds of a job though, so I do think it is worth it (although I am still debating with getting Ginger done, he is 14 now and is so well known in my area)

Snoof
15-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I think it's worth it even if you do have indoor cats, because you simply never know when they might accidentally get out. But I'm notoriously paranoid, and also our rescue microchips by default so it's not something I have to put them through separately, if that makes sense.

smudgley
15-03-2006, 10:43 AM
It takes 2 seconds to do.
I microchip dogs / cats & it is an easy simple process.
May be a little uncomfortable for a few seconds, but that is worth it for the benefits gained in my opinion.

Moli
15-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Although Casper & Oliver are indoor cats, I have made an appointment to have them both chipped....

Luke
15-03-2006, 11:22 AM
My two were both done when babies..Clementine was her usual self and didnt give two hoots but Elsa bawled the surgery down!
I think the few moments of uncomfortableness is outweighed by having your details stored in your cat for many years too come......

Elaine
15-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh I dont disagree that its a good thing to do.
I just worry about the pain or distress I may put them through. They are not due any dentals or anything at the mo'. Will they forgive me for putting them through it:lol:
My vet said its not painfull but I wonder how brave she is at the dentists:lol:

Emm
15-03-2006, 12:51 PM
its done in seconds a bit like getting them vaccinated - I'm sure they will forgive you - especially if you give them some nice tuna afterwards :lol:

Kay
15-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Tilly and Tate were microchipped when they were scanned for PKD as they had to have a microchip number to register the results of the scan and get their certificates. I knew there there wouldn't be a problem with Tate as he is so laid back and daft but Tilly is a stroppy so and so. She never even flinched. It was over so quick. I have since had Leila done at my vets with the chip that also tells the temperature and she never bothered either. I would definitely have it done it is such a quick procedure to get over they will have forgotton about it by the time they are home.

Kazz
15-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Mine haven't been done but thats due to age now BUT if I were thinking of moving like you may be I would have them done no matter what their age. Honestly.

And any other cats I get in the future I would microchip:) for my own peace of mind.:)

dinahsmum
15-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Haven't had my cats done but I would get any new one(s) chipped. It's nothing - honestly. Dinah was done when she had her first puppy jab @ 10 weeks. She was only a little thing (smaller than a cat; went to the vets in a cat carrier) and she didn't feel a thing.
Worst bit was holding her - half fascinated watching it done, half horrified. The fascinated won, especially when she disn't squeak!

yola
15-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Just something to consider; Darcy had been microchipped by his previous owner (I have all the paperwork), but I had him scanned at the vet on his last visit and nothing showed up on the scanner.

Can these chips go missing? If so, where? Surely they don't drop out? The vet ran the reader across his whole body and it didn't respond. Can the chip be faulty?

dinahsmum
15-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I think they can do both Yola (but rarely) - migrate within the body and either get lost to the scanner or pass somewhere where they can get to the outside world; or migrate back out through the skin.
Should ask the vet to scan every time they go for whatever purpose, to check they are still in place.

Mags
15-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Cassie hasn't been microchipped, she has all her information on her collar.....but it is something I am now considering....

Kazz
15-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Everytime I take the girls to the vets normaly for boosters I get the vet to check the microchip.;)

Donna
15-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Mine arnt chipped and dont go out much, but it is still something I think about getting done.

Julie84
16-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Both my indoor only boys are microchipped - my reasoning that if they did escape they would be less likely to find their way home. I had it down while they were under for their castration though as the needle scared me!! :lol:

CJK
16-03-2006, 01:20 PM
MR Darcy, twix and oatmeal were all chipped in januray.
I was worried silly about them, having heard some horror stories.
They were all fine, over in seconds, not one meow whinge or anything.

We got them all done for free!!! which was a bonus. Going to get PF done after she had her kittens, she'll be done for free too.
they even offerd to microchip all my bunnies for free too and said theyve done a snake!

Elaine
16-03-2006, 01:58 PM
How'd you manage to get them all done for free?

CJK
16-03-2006, 02:17 PM
well it a bit far ro you to travel, but we went to the college of animal welfare at wood green animal shelter, and let the trianee vets do it.

they were lovely, and very good.

maybe there a vetanry collage near you that do the same thing?

Sweet
16-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Violet was chipped at the same time as her big girly operation x

Jac
16-03-2006, 06:14 PM
My two are chipped and Blue. It takes a second and none of them were aware of it getting done, well that's not quite true Purrdie wasnt too happy but the vet was an idiot.

Naomi
16-03-2006, 09:03 PM
When Moli and Sox were chipped, neither of them took a blind bit of notice of what was going on.

logoes
16-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I had India chipped a couple of weeks back, I was holding her at the time and she didn't even flinch, she obviously never felt anything. Logoes