PDA

View Full Version : Things you've learned from Catpages?

Snoof
14-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I thought this might be a fun thread as I was thinking about it earlier today in my medicine-induced daze :lol: It actually came about reading the threads about breeders and rulechanges, and looking at the picture of Emlyn the Gremlin.

- I don't know of any ugly cats. I used to dislike Persians, not for their personality or anything but purely based on looks... Thought they looked sneaky (sorry, I really can't remember why, this was when I was a kid and I only knew one Persian, none between then and now!). Nowadays I think they're cats... And therefore beautiful.

- I am not the only person who obsesses about their cat(s) and what will make them happy, healthy and personable :lol:

- My views on breeding have changed massively since I participated in a debate about breeding moggies. They haven't solidified yet, but I do know that anyone who's not going to breed on purpose needs to spay or neuter their pets, and I have fairly clear expectations of those who do breed on purpose. I still feel the most important part of breeding is the temperament and health-related analysis of ancestry, at least when it comes to pet-grade breeding, but I think I'm having trouble reconciling the details of rat-breeding (which I know slightly more about) with the details of cat-breeding. They're two very different things, but my views of one kind of colour my views of the other, if that makes sense. I'm working on fixing it ;)

What have you learned from CP?

Moli
14-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I have learned a lot about my own breeds, such as behaviours and feeding..But the biggest thing is seeing and learning about all the other breeds on here, Breeds I knew nothing about before...

Naomi
14-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I've learned about how many variety of colours there are in any one breed of cat

How many different breeds of cats are out there and how many I never knew existed

Mags
14-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Having a moggy, I have learned so much about different pedigree breeds, the different diets people give their cats and above all enjoyed the lovely photos of everyones cats....

Kazz
15-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Catpages has in reinforced my opinion of the many nice people out there. And I've learnt how much people care for their cats - and how much work goes into rescue mostly via Smudgley.:)

Elaine
15-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Catpages has in reinforced my opinion of the many nice people out there. And I've learnt how much people care for their cats - and how much work goes into rescue mostly via Smudgley.:)

I agree with the above but have to add not just through catpages but a few other site i visit too.

I have always had more patience with animals than humans, although I am pretty patient with both. I understand alot more about what makes my cats tick and find it easier to understand them and why they do the things they do, but not alway as like everyone else, I am still learning.

Also through this site and a few others i have learned to relax more and take each day as it comes, this is with regard to my old boy Winston and CRF. Before finding sites like this, I would spend hours reading and finding out about the illness, its complications etc and for a short time became so consumed and overwhelmed by it all that I had lost sight of Winston and how he was feeling. Makes me cry actually to think about it. But finding others who are or have gone through the same things as Winston and I made me realise that this wasnt about me trying to fight his illness for him, its about me and Winston, loving the time we have left together, which may be a few years yet hopefully, and listening to his personal needs and demands.

Oh heck i've gone all gushy again.

Snoof
15-03-2006, 10:47 AM
But finding others who are or have gone through the same things as Winston and I made me realise that this wasnt about me trying to fight his illness for him, its about me and Winston, loving the time we have left together, which may be a few years yet hopefully, and listening to his personal needs and demands.
That's really poignant, Elaine. I hope I can keep sight of that when and if I'm ever in a similar situation. He's a lucky cat :)

Emm
15-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I have learned that there are more people out there that care about cats as well. Most people think I'm mad - they don't understand why I devote so much of my time with animals.

I love hearing about the rescue work and seeing pictures from Smudgeley of the lucky cats that are going to find a good home.
I also love seeing the pictures of the new kittens - and I've learned a wee bit about the breeding side of cats and the different breeds out there.

And most importantly knowing that it is possible to have a close community of people with different views being able to get on with each other - brilliant!

dandysmom
15-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Emm, you covered my feelings exactly...can't add anything more,you said it all!!:D

Donna
15-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Learnt so much about looking after my cats (never had cats before) so that has been a big help. From feeding, to speying to vaccinations, to behaviour etc etc.

Also learnt about growing seeds for the first time and cooking better meals for me and my children!!!

All round CP has improved my life immensly!

Mags
15-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Learnt so much about looking after my cats (never had cats before) so that has been a big help. From feeding, to speying to vaccinations, to behaviour etc etc.

Also learnt about growing seeds for the first time and cooking better meals for me and my children!!!

All round CP has improved my life immensly!
.....and you've made lots of friends Donna!:-P

Donna
15-03-2006, 10:24 PM
.....and you've made lots of friends Donna!:-P

That goes without saying Mags!!! :p

smudgley
15-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I've learnt that there just aren't enough hours in the day to fit in everything I need to do....:roll:

JemBob
25-03-2006, 09:54 PM
That its not just me who love my cat the same as i love my own brother and sister :lol: