PDA

View Full Version : Ninja is learning!

Snoof
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I've just fed Ninja his dinner, and while I was emptying the pouch in his bowl (crouching in front of it :roll:) he got off his ledge and walked past me, rubbing against my **** in a loving sort of way (:lol:). Then he walked round me and when I was done and looking around to tell him his foodies were ready to be eaten, he was sitting in the door opening between the conservatory and the kitchen :shock: (quite a step, given he knows very well that I have to walk past that spot to go back into the house!).

So I reached out and he loved on my hand for a little bit, then I stood up and he crossed in front of me (in front of my feet even!) and went to his bowl.

:shock:

I'm so proud of him! He's doing so well, I really wasn't expecting him to recover this fast from the carrier thing, but this is something he's never done - and he didn't seem scared-but-brave through any of it! I have never had him be so close to my feet while I was standing up straight of his own volition (though I have walked past him this close, but then he was eating breakfast, at which point the world could explode for all he cares :lol:).

He's also gone back to squeaking when I come toward him for petting (I have never heard him meow a full meow, more like a clipped version or a squeak - very cute). He still hisses when anyone who isn't me comes near (unless I am there, and if he knows them he will let them pet him - but he hisses a little warning at first, very short and concise). Earlier, I was walking toward him (he was on his ledge) and held out my hand, and he hissed a hiss that ended up garbled and then turned out to be a purr and rubbed his head against my hand :cat4 So I think the hissing is, with me, more habit than aught else (although with me, he's not done it in ages and I think that one was a mistake). With others, I think it's a warning, but he really enjoys being petted once they're at it.

I have told everyone who's here lots that they have to stop petting before he gets tired of it. I don't mean to keep him yearning for more, but I want petting to be an exclusively positive experience and not something he gets bored with until he's doing better.

I think this time, we're well and truly on the road to recovery, and not a lot's going to blast us back to Go (do not collect £200). It makes me really, really happy :)

And there I go again, waffling on... Just remember, it's for posterity :lol:

dandysmom
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Snoof, what great news! I'm so happy he is really coming to trust you: you've been so gentle & patient with him, & it is working!!!!! :D

Mags
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
That's great news Snoof...sounds like he is slowly gaining confidence....

CJK
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
excellent news, he's doing so well!!!!

Snoof
10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Snoof, what great news! I'm so happy he is really coming to trust you: you've been so gentle & patient with him, & it is working!!!!! :D
I've had times when I thought he would never come round and got a little discouraged - mostly during the time when he was being kept inside and hiding as much as he could, and when he'd been doing excellently but withdrew after I accidentally walked into him.

I'm so glad I never actually gave up. Seeing him gain confidence and trust is incredibly rewarding :D

Thanks Mags and CJ :)

Moli
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
He is begining to come round, soon be sitting of your lap purring!

Donna
11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Its great when they start to trust and become more friendly. Mine were a bit skittish due to my daughter constantly picking them up as kittens, but now my daughter has stopped doing this, they are getting better every day.

Elaine
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Such good news Snoof;)