PDA

View Full Version : indoor or outdoor cat

jenny
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
are your cats indoor or outdoor cats? and do you give them a choice?

also, what are everyones views on this

smudgley
09-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Mine can do whatever they want. Emily doesn't go out much. Smudge is always in & out! (Like a yo-yo):roll:

Personally I wouldn't want a house cat. However I have experienced having one killed in a RTA so can understand why some people would choose to keep theirs inside, but it's not for me.

JemBob
09-03-2006, 10:27 PM
erm.... perfer to keep them inside due to cars and other accidents but a outdoor to but would be worried all day

Snoof
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Mine can do whatever they want. Emily doesn't go out much. Smudge is always in & out! (Like a yo-yo):roll:

Personally I wouldn't want a house cat. However I have experienced having one killed in a RTA so can understand why some people would choose to keep theirs inside, but it's not for me. This, although I have had inside cats as well, but I was somewhat forced by circumstance (moved somewhere else, found out later our neighbours' dogs ate cats and decided not to let the mogs out).

Additionally, Ninja becomes very unhappy when he's not allowed to come and go as he pleases. His behaviour has gotten incredibly much better since we started allowing it, it really improved dramatically immediately (then plateau'd for a few months before ameliorating again).

jenny
09-03-2006, 10:44 PM
im a bit back and forth with it to be honest. Ive lost 4 cats and nearly a fifth to being hit by a car. 2 when we lived in an estate and 2 again when we lived in the country side.

i dont know if its more cruel to keep them in, or more cruel to let them out where they could be knocked over.
perhaps it just depends on each individual cats personality ?

just un decided about wether or not we should let our cat out when we get him. we are moving to an estate, but with a railway line close by and main roads 5 min drive out of the estate. im scared to death of losing another cat to roads :(
i used to think it was incredibly cruel to keep a cat indoors when their natural instincts tell them to go outside, but ive read that it can be ok depending on the cat and if u provide sufficient mental and physical stimulation

Phill
09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi my cats have the choose jack is out all the time and dougal would if he could spend all his time led in the door way half in half out.:cat24

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Both my cats are kept in during the week when we are out to work, but we let them out at the weekends or when we are here. Bronwyn isn't very bothered about going outside but Arthur does love to go outside but he has adapted very well being kept in during the week days.

I would never now let my cats out when it is dark though, far far to many things to worry about.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 11:11 PM
im a bit back and forth with it to be honest. Ive lost 4 cats and nearly a fifth to being hit by a car. 2 when we lived in an estate and 2 again when we lived in the country side.

i dont know if its more cruel to keep them in, or more cruel to let them out where they could be knocked over.
perhaps it just depends on each individual cats personality ?

just un decided about wether or not we should let our cat out when we get him. we are moving to an estate, but with a railway line close by and main roads 5 min drive out of the estate. im scared to death of losing another cat to roads :(
i used to think it was incredibly cruel to keep a cat indoors when their natural instincts tell them to go outside, but ive read that it can be ok depending on the cat and if u provide sufficient mental and physical stimulation
Fred and Jake both needed to go out. They were cats who were ok being inside for most of the day, but they had to be outside for a few hours every day or they got really grouchy and violent. But when I had them we lived somewhere it was impossible for them to get to a road unless they climbed over a 3-story house somewhere. Dishrag, Manfish and Rajah were perfectly happy staying inside all day. Ninja rebelled terribly against being kept inside by refusing to poop in his litter tray - our hallway was his most regular victim. But he doesn't go far - he's either in our yard, in the yard a few houses down, or in between somewhere. We are, however, home all day, almost every day. The times when nobody is home are about 2 months between.

You'll have to see what the cat's like as he grows up :)

Kazz
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi Jen,:) welcome.

I have lost a cat Archie to a road accident but wouldn't keep mine in - although saying that I wouldn't have a cat and live on a main road :? so I choose to live places (since Archie) that I deem suitable for cats to have a chance my two love being out especialy Oscar in his younger days - he adored being out and about. Cleo has always been a home bird - never roaming far. Whereas Oz was always miles from homeso I suspect he would have done the same where ever we lived.

I'm no help am I sorry.

Karen

Mags
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Cassie has access to the outside world but I always make sure she is in during the night....

Moli
09-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Mine go out when I am at home and can have the back door open...If I go out they are in...Never leave them out at night..

Donna
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
My two kitties are let out first thing in the morning for a brisk ten minute run around, then they are in and flap locked (to stop nasty cats getting in as well as stop them getting out). I get home at four and open the flap. They go in and out (but are mostly in) until around 8pm when the flap is shut for the night.

They are scared to go out due to neighbouring cats so do not wander anywhere. I just like them to get some fresh air.

Kim
10-03-2006, 12:22 AM
When we lived in London we lost one cat to an RTA which I was devastated about. When we moved to Leics I was determined to find a house that was in a cul-de-sac! We are the second house from the end of the road and as there is only 3 houses we get very little traffic and any cars would be going slow! If we lived on a main road I would keep them in, but I think most cats love some freedom. Sasha hardly ever goes out and only in the garden. Rosie & Sidney enjoy going out, but are in a lot too, Misty is the wanderer, he would go mad if he was kept in. He will be 9 in May, so even though he is pedigree and I do worry, he enjoys his life and I feel he needs to be free. Sorry, I'm waffling again. To answer your question, I really think it depends on the circumstances and the cat(s)

random
10-03-2006, 12:37 AM
inside now i have read the article in the sun :cry:

Luke
10-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Mine have the option..its up too them what they do. Clem was more a house cat before..then after her jaunt away she liked to spend more time outside, Elsa is just easy going and likes to go for a wander and a hutn but prefers inside with the terriers..

Mags
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
If you haven't had Elsa spayed yet Luke, she may come back with a little surprise for you one day!:shock:

Kay
10-03-2006, 01:07 PM
All 9 of mine are indoor cats and have always been. They are Persians and have very little natural instinct and even less sense. There is also the threat of somebody stealing them as just about everyone knows what a Persian cat looks like. My kittens are sold under contract to indoor homes only unless kept in a purpose built cat run. I do feel it is much safer for the cat to be kept indoors and if done from a young kitten there shouldn't be a problem. You do not run the risk of RTAs, fights with other cats and the possibility of catching infectious, possible fatal diseases, being chased, or worse, by dogs and of course the cruelty that seems to be more and more evident in our society. Just my opinion though

Het
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Fortunately because of where I live mine are able to come and go as they please....even the Siamese. I do however like to get Jazz, Max and Giz in at bedtime and keep them in, they have their own bedroom all set up. Its where they were born and they don't seem to mind...Jazz likes to have her 2 'babies' in at night and howls if i put them to bed and Max is still out. He has a large territory and does spend most of his time patrolling it, even in winter.

William is the only one who would allow anyone outside to approach her..the rest would scarper if someone got to close. The main thing to worry about with the Siamese is their curiousity...the girls have a habit of following Max, who is extremely nosy. So normally if one is stuck up a tree they all are!!!

If I lived in town though the Siamese would probably have to be house cats.

Hez
11-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Definitely outdoor!!!!:lol:

My cat has been quite ill lately and has been an indoor cat for well over a month and she's climbing the walls!:lol: It's just soooo handy to shot her outside when she's making a nuisance of herself!:lol:

bobbie3917
11-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Jenny i would be just as scared of some 1 taking him, pedigree cats go missing just as much as pedigree dogs do

after paying any sort of money i wouldn't let it wonder i hate losing money

my cats are in door only for 3 reasons

1) when i had Mittens (my ragdoll) if i had let her out ppl would of pinched her im sure and as i plan on having more ragdolls i think it wise to keep the 1s i have in now. Maine Coons are not so pretty but im sure some1 would walk off with either Scarlott or Minx (a blue kitten has gone missing just this week in my St)

2) my cats are used to dogs and i have lost a cat to a dog cos he thought they were all like my lot i watched it happen and could do nothing i shouted and screamed and couldn't stop the dog or get the cat to move away from him

3) i don't see any difference from a dog to a cat and i would never let my dogs roam. other ppls cats can be a right pain in the bum digging up ppls gardens ripping there rubbish bags peeing every where.

say your cat got in some1s garden and was digging it up all the time so they went out and got a cat trap and sent your cat to a local pound you can do nothing and that person is in the right 100%

Naomi
12-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Moli's started spending more time outside, even runs past the back door when we open it to let her in :roll: She has definately started to become an outdoor cat and will spend all day outside either in our garden or under the hedge between us and next door. Only yesterday, OH was working on a few cars and she sat there on the bonet of one of the cars watching him, it was funny to see. She stayed with him all day, the only time she left his side was when she wanted something to eat and came in for that then legged it back outside. She just gone out again this morning and it's snowing here.

CJK
12-03-2006, 10:15 AM
twix and oatemal are allowed in and out as they please.

BUt Mr Darcy and princess are ekpt in for the reasons Kay mentioned, thier a little dumb about road sense and would get pinched. Theyre both happy with it, MR Darcy doesnt even TRY and get out the cat flap of the door.
I ahve taken him into the garden 2-3 times, first time he jumped up intomy arms and stayed there, so now sometimes i carry him around the garden. Big softy!!!

soon as we move hubby going to sort some inverted fencing out so PF and MD can go in the garden, also going to build a conservatroy type room on the back of the house for the cats

Elaine
12-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Think I am what they call an over protective mum LOL.
Winston has always been an indoor cat because when he was a kitten, we also had his brother Mutley. Mutley was blind and so it didnt seem fair to let one out but no the other. Having said that, Mutley was the one with no sense of fear. When we moved here, we have a back garden which is enclosed by a big wall. Mutley used to wonder outside with me and was very funny to watch because his movements were different from a cat with sight. Winston had the option to come out too but would only ever come to the back door and watch. Mutley sadly died at the age of 5.
Woody, Winstons long time companion was also an indoor cat. If I ever went down stairs to hang out washing or sit in the garden, I always left the doors open, so they could come out if they wanted to but they never did. Both prefered to sit at the back door and watch. Woody died 2 years ago.
Then came Eva. As a kitten, obviously, she was always indoors. As she got older she began to express a wish to go out. After she was spayed we started to let her out the back but only with supervision at first, Graham was always scared that some one would steal his little princess. All last summer, Eva would be outside with me and she loved it. We never let her out when we are not home to keep an eye on her. Then builders knocked down the boundary wall which left access to a very busy road, so we felt it wasnt safe for her anymore. The wall has now been re-instated but she so hates the rain and snow and for now preffers to sit on the stairwell windows or the back door.
Bernie has been indoors since his arrival and hasnt expressed a wish to go outside as yet. I would like him to have the choice just as soon as Eva becomes more accepting of him. Having said that though, I think we would have to put up some cat proof fencing as Bernie is much more agile than Eva and I fear he may be able to get up and over the wall.
Having said all that, if we get our house in the country then we will probably have to rethink everything again but dont know till I see tha layout of house/garden etc.

Having no wish or desire for children, my cats are my babies and i want them to be safe and happy. It is my responsibility to try to make sure that no harm comes to them.

Booktigger
12-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Mine are allowed out, as are the two long termers. Took me ages to let Molly out though cos of the weather and the fact she only showed an interest at night!! All apart from Ginger are in during the day - Ginger is only allowed to stay out cos he goes to my neighbours, so I know he is somewhere during the day. Ginger could never be an indoor only cat, he had to stay in for 10 days after an op the other year, and he got really depressed. It does depend on your cat and where you live though - I have to say I would pick the next house on what it is like for the cats.

candyshandy
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
All my three are indoor for the reasons mentioned by Kay. However, I have had the garden cat-proofed so that they can go out in the back garden in the summer (only when I am at home though). They have loads of toys and activity centres to keep them amused in the meantime :)

DiddyDawn
12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
All my babes are indoor, I had 3 poisoned by my neighbour last year....something I don't want to go through again :( At least indoor you know they are safe and no harm is going to come to them ;)

Mine have also got plenty of toys and cat posts to keep them amused and they also have plenty of friends ;)

CJK
12-03-2006, 02:04 PM
All my babes are indoor, I had 3 poisoned by my neighbour last year....something I don't want to go through again :( At least indoor you know they are safe and no harm is going to come to them ;)

Mine have also got plenty of toys and cat posts to keep them amused and they also have plenty of friends ;)

thats horrid of your neighbour, are all the cats ok now??
bles them, how nasty can you be??

what happened about it? Did the neighbour get in trouble or anything? poor cats

DiddyDawn
12-03-2006, 02:13 PM
The 3 that were poisoned all died within a day of each other :cry: :cry:

We have woods at the back of us and that's where they all hung out but they all stuck together.....the neighbour knew where they all went and we only have him next door to us. I caught him in there a few times but it's private property so he shouldn't have been there unless he was up to no good :mad: I did inform the police but proving it is a different story........he will get payback in time ;)

Kay
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM

The same thing happened to one of my moggies many years ago, again by a neighbour. Unfortunately he died. Our vet did a PM on him and said he had been feed weedkiller in milk deliberately. He went from being a big beautiful ginger tom to nothing in 24 hours and had to be pts. He was in agony. So I totally agree with you.

CJK
12-03-2006, 02:16 PM
oh, im sorry, I didnt mean to drag up bad memories like that. WHy is it the police dont do anything when you need them to?

i cant understand why aybody would poison someones pets, it's horrid

DiddyDawn
12-03-2006, 02:18 PM
oh, im sorry, I didnt mean to drag up bad memories like that.

It's never gone away......I'm still not over it, probably never will be but slowly coping with it, I'll get there in the end ;)

bobbie3917
12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
so sorry to hear of your bad news DiddyDawn the same happend to my sisters dog and she was in there own garden

i cant understand why aybody would poison someones pets, it's horrid

thats the thing see Cj not every 1 is a cat person and you might not think that your cat (im not saying you just any1) goes in any1 else garden but i bet they do and cat can make a lot of mess on a nice garden and the smell they can leave behind if a tom is bad and if its not there pet they should not have to put up with it.

doing what they did is wrong. but in the long run with cats what can you do?

Im not saying i agree with what was done but i can see maybe why it was done

DiddyDawn
12-03-2006, 03:48 PM
No cats can get in my neighbours garden......he has mesh going round. Mine all used to be in the woods or the garden but I'd had a run in with the neighbour a couple of years back when he killed some baby blue tits that were nesting in the wall......I had the police out to him. The only way he could get back at me was through my cats :cry:

Mags
12-03-2006, 03:50 PM
It would be alright if every cat was like Cassie....she will only go in our garden....it means we have to do regular daily clean up jobs behind her but at least we know the neighbours are happy!!

bobbie3917
12-03-2006, 04:05 PM
No cats can get in my neighbours garden......he has mesh going round. Mine all used to be in the woods or the garden but I'd had a run in with the neighbour a couple of years back when he killed some baby blue tits that were nesting in the wall......I had the police out to him. The only way he could get back at me was through my cats :cry:

HI DD
i was not saying that your cats did go in his garden he sounds like a man that has no feelings at all not a nice man from the sound of it i was just saying if a cat goes out and the owner didn't know where they dont know what problems they are coasing other ppl

Rosie
13-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I have lost one or two cats over many years but would still let mine out. Rosie has a cat flap and hops in and out all day and all night (summer nights mostly). Cats are such independent creatures I would hate to confine them to the house. Rosie loves to hunt and often brings home a contribution to tea of the mousy variety:-P Only ever had moggies though.

Julie84
13-03-2006, 04:47 PM
My boys are both indoors only basically for all the reasons Kay mentioned.

We live on a main road and also near two secondary schools and a primary school. I would be terrified constantly that Tom or Murphy might be killed (or worse, hit and left in agony until found :( ), attacked or terrorised by children or get lost.

Both boys are very dopey and also very people friendly (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned but not necessarily with strangers). Murphy will just fall over if he sees someone as he is so excited to have someone new to rub his tummy! (He's also fallen down the stairs many times doing this so I wouldn't fancy his chances near a car!)

Also, cats can be a nuisance to other people. If they are outside all day they will need to go to the toilet somewhere and they won't necessarily come home to do it. Some people like to watch birds in their garden and I would be distraught if they threw water over my cats to get them out their garden - or if indeed my cats killed a bird that they liked to watch or feed.

Although castrated, I can't guarantee that my boys wouldn't try to chase and kill small animals, get into fights (whether they started it or not), annoy queens in season or start spraying if they felt the need to.

Essentially, I wouldn't have chosen to have had cats where we are living at the moment. We were due to move house 8 weeks after we got the boys but it all fell through at the last minute. However, my feelings wouldn't change if we lived somewhere else, I just feel it is too risky and I love the boys so much.

Thomas and Murphy have never been allowed out. The only times they have been out of the house (in a carrier) is to the vets which may be why they have some anxieties about the outside world? They have lots of stimulation in the house, as well as access to all areas, and also have clicker training sessions to keep their minds active. They have harnesses which they are comfortable wearing but prefer to watch outside through a window then to go out (on a harness) - they point blank refuse to go out in fact!

When we eventually move, I would like to build them a cat run outside (with a cat flap so they still have continual access to inside - I don't want them to feel 'shut out') but I do wonder how much they would use it.

I don't feel my boys are missing out on anything though, primarily because they don't know any different. I might have to reconsider this decision if I took on a cat that was used to being allowed outside whenever they wanted. I also don't have a problem with other people letting their cats out (although I might have a problem if a cat kept using my garden as a toilet - especially when we have children) it's just the way I feel about my cats. :)

(Sorry for the essay!)

bobbie3917
13-03-2006, 08:06 PM
i do agree with a lot you have said Julie and you say it so much better then i did lol

logoes
13-03-2006, 09:22 PM
As most of our cats arrived on the doorstep they have all been outside cats, and three of the strays were actually run over, two when we lived near a town and one in the countryside. Present cat -India- is still a housecat, she's been with us for 8 weeks now and has shown little inclination to go out, I have taken her into the garden twice on a harness but she was most apprehensive and it made me wonder if she had been a indoor cat in her former home. She panicked when she saw next door neighbours horse about 20meters away and raced upstairs at the weekend when a visitor started up his car just outside the front door. We do live in the country, the lane is not very busy, it's narrow which means that traffic goes slowly in case something is coming the other way, and both our neighbours have cats so if she does want to go out I'll let her, and worry until she gets used to it!!! Logoes

Julie84
14-03-2006, 01:29 AM
i do agree with a lot you have said Julie and you say it so much better then i did lol

:oops: Thank you!

Shame I was meant to be doing important things at work at the time though!! :lol: :lol:

bobbie3917
14-03-2006, 02:52 AM
hi Logoes
i do agree that if you have a cat that is not a kitten when you get it and is used to going out then to keep it in is wrong

and Julie get back to work LOL