PDA

View Full Version : Donna

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't know if your new thread is genuine or ironic. I won't open it to find out.
I wonder if we could have a think about whether we welcome this type of posting (assuming it's genuine)? Personally I know there is cruelty in the world but do not wish to see it on a forum where i enjoy mostly light hearted but some serious chat.
The thing is, now, every time i visit CP I will get a bold heading inviting me to see animal cruelty - because I don't want to open it and take away the 'bold'.
If everyone, or the majority, welcome pics or accounts or whatever it is, perhaps it should go in Debates & Discussions?

Am I the only daft one
(and apologies again to Donna if this sounds particularly 'up my own ****)

Mags
09-03-2006, 03:20 PM
To be fair to Donna she did put a warning in her thread title so no-one is obliged to open it if they don't want to....

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 03:26 PM
yes, true. But if you never open it stays as bold 'Animal Cruelty - come and look!'- every time you look at 'New posts'.
Sorry - I expect I'm making too much of it. I just hate it so much, and am terribly saddened to find it here......a gentle place.
Sorry Donna - this sounds so horrible to you - I don't mean to, and I admire anyone who is going to actually go out and do something about stopping it.
So, sorry sorry again - I'll shuffle off and do something else this afternoon.

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't have a problem with Donna's post and also she did a link to the website containing the article so even if you open the post up you would still have to click on a link. You wouldn't see anything nasty just by opening up Donna's thread.

I had a similar incident on my own forum (car related one) where somebody had put a link to the skinning of pets, I decided not to make a comment and the thread soon went to the bottom of the page. I never want to read about animal cruelty but if we don't face what is going on in the world how can we ever improve it ??

yola
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I won't open if for that very reason. I know I'll get angry and upset.

I think it's valid that such things are out in the open, and that people who feel able to comment on/view the thread are able to and I don't object to it per se.

As I always come into CP on 'view new posts' it doesn't much matter what section it is in - if I haven't read it it'll be there in bold, but I'd (I@d) much rather that than open a thread and get a shock - especially as I'm usually viewing in the office rather than at home.

However, I do think that if there is anything contentious or if it is a 'difficult' subject maybe it ought to be in a section that identifies it as such.

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Perhaps as long as we keep these posts to external links, I wouldn't be very happy if I clicked on a thread and it contained graphic images, to me a link is fine, I can get the general idea without going to the external link.

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Perhaps as long as we keep these posts to external links, I wouldn't be very happy if I clicked on a thread and it contained graphic images, to me a link is fine, I can get the general idea without going to the external link.

Good idea - if I'd known it was a link I would have posted in the original thread rather than starting this whinge-y one. But didn't know what I might see :(

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
DM Donna hasn't posted any photos, just a link to the original article, and her comments on the article. I know what you mean though as you don't know until you open a thread what it might contain. But perhaps we should all agree only to post links to anything involving animal cruelty??

EmmaG
09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh and DM I don't think your thread is a whinge-y one, we also have to consider children reading any of these threads. If I had children I wouldn't want them opening up a thread which had photos of any animal suffering.

CJK
09-03-2006, 04:48 PM
i think there have been some very valid pints reaised. The idea of only putting links in is a very good one too, then we can get the gist of things without looking.
And i dont think youre being whingey at all, some people are genuinyl very upset about things like this.

I think a warning should be put in the title too though, ie Cruelty-warning link to photo enclosed.

the idea of a seperate area is a good one too, but then you'd have one area with a big black cloud haning over it.

It's a delicate area, how can we discuss it if we dont read about it etc, but then we dont need to see pictures, so good of donna to not include the picture in the link

Donna
09-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Just got in from work and seen all this.

Didnt mean to cause trouble. I was just flicking through a paper at work and as I turned the page it was there - right in front of me - no warnings - no chance of me not seeing it.

I was angry and upset by this article and wanted to let people know that fact. Also wanted to give a bit of a warning about letting out pets out unattended.

We had another article recently involving cruelty to a cat that was PTS by the RSPCA after being in a trap. That is sad too, but no negative comments about that thread.

We talk about everything on here, and thought everyone might like to just take a second thought when their kitty is outside unattended. A bit of a warning to take care really.

Sorry if I offended.