PDA

View Full Version : Cost of kittens

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Sure there's been a recent conversation about this but here goes...............there are 2 red boys advertised within easy reach of me. 'Unexpected litter' it says . And £100 each :shock: Sorry - I think that's just encouraging irresponsible breeding.
It's not that the initial cost is such a big deal - all the other cat-ownership costs are the same, so it's just a few pennies per month of the cat's life - just that I think it's a daft price to ask for moggies.
So, I continue to wait, patiently.

bet they wouldn't try later in the season when the world is awash with kittens.:roll:

Kazz
09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Sure there's been a recent conversation about this but here goes...............there are 2 red boys advertised within easy reach of me. 'Unexpected litter' it says . And £100 each :shock: Sorry - I think that's just encouraging irresponsible breeding.
It's not that the initial cost is such a big deal - all the other cat-ownership costs are the same, so it's just a few pennies per month of the cat's life - just that I think it's a daft price to ask for moggies.
So, I continue to wait, patiently.

bet they wouldn't try later in the season when the world is awash with kittens.:roll:

Contact them and tell them you offer a good home but won't pay that price for moggies.

yola
09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
DM - I was just about to put what Kazz has already said. They could just be oportunists 'trying it on'. Offer them £25 and see what happens . . .

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
No, don't want anything to do with that sort of person. No problem with someone taking enough to pay for the cat's spay & any other vet incidentals or ads or whatever.
Making money from your pets (and I'm talking pet owners, not breeders and not poking at anyone on here....if I've got anything to say i will say it) blah, blah, anyway, making money by breeding your pets is like pimping your children :roll:
IMO

*gets off soapbox*

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
PS - there are 4 kits, 2 boys, 2 girls.
£25 each easily covers all expenses

Kazz
09-03-2006, 12:55 PM
You stay on your soapbox DM good on ya.

Karen

Mags
09-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Much as I love moggies, I wouldn't pay £100 for one.......Cassie cost me £25 eight years ago......

Stay on your soapbox DM.......people need to realise how greedy they are!:mad:

CJK
09-03-2006, 01:03 PM
i do agree with you there Dm,
i dont see these people having one baby after another and selling them!

With regards to princess kittens, i've let people make me an offer that consider reasonable, so far have two at £150, one person wants a pair at £150. As they all seem like genuine people fromt he contact i ahd so far i will let them ahve a kiten, after have spoken on the phone etc, and assuming they still want them.

Of course, there are costs with having kittens, but i think these moggie breeders ( and yes i realise strictly speaking princess kittens will be moggies) wont be feeding thier pregnant cats on any sort of decent food, odd tin of kitekat or whatever.

Whereas princess is already being fed royal canin persian, james wellbeloved kitten and her third meal everyday is wet food, hi-life canned if i can get, if not whatever has the highest meat content on what is availalbe.

Oh and in with the royal canin persian i also mix some JWB kitten food.

I realise therye more expensive than whiskas etc, but most moggies are fed on whatever's cheappest. the woman we got our moggies from feeds her cats on netto cheap biscuit food

I really think the price of moggies is ridiculous, cant remember where, i think it ad-mart, but one woman wants £160 for a "really cute boy kitten". Who when you look at the picture is an average black and white moggie.

The woman we got our moggies free from is having another litter soon, asked us again if we want any. I did politely say " oh havent you had your girls spayed yet then?" , didn't get a reply, but I tried!

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 01:16 PM
You will need to be careful with your fluffy-bums CJ. Make sure the people taking them know what they are letting themselves in for wrt grooming etc.
Also - you will need to charge enought to stop people just selling on at a profit :cat13
If it were me, I wouldn't let them go to anyone who hasn't had a cat recently, or anyone without children now who may have children in the future, because you see so many cats advertised 'due to allergy/due to child's allergy.
"Aged spinsters or happily settled gay couples only need apply!" lol

CJK
09-03-2006, 01:39 PM
lol, i like that one!!!

one person has a year old cat already, wants some company for it, the other says she lost her 16 year old a year ago and feels ready for another 9 it was a persian), the others have two kids aged 5 and 9, and i think had a cat before, but I'll make sure they know to groom them and wash eyes etc.

slowly seeing a trickle of moggies for sale now, most for silly prices.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm always willing to pay £50 per cat from the rescue. I'm struggling to put more aside (I'll be paying for the kittens, for my boyfriend's birthday, so I need to get £100 aside by March 30th so I can wrap it up and make it look festive, although we won't be getting them until after) so we can make a larger donation, actually. I know that money doesn't exclusively cover the cats I get, but I'm perfectly ok with my money going to other cats because it's a rescue. How much I would pay for a non-rescue moggie (or a pedigree) is irrelevant because I've long since made my peace with being the sort of person who only gets rescue cats :lol:

Dee
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I agree with you DM charging these sort of prices is encouraging iresponsible breeding.

I foster and help with rehoming fo a cat rescue. My current fosters who are being rehomed at the begining of April have been neutered, fully vaccinated have been fed good quality food (same as mine royal canin) and i will be driving them to their new home, as they are semi-feral and iIwant to settle them in as much as I am able (I am driving them from Norfolk to Southhampton). There new owners are paying £40 per cat and this is absolutely fine as to me it is much more important that they find the right home than the money and the home they are going to is wonderful.