PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Remedy.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 12:01 AM
We've ordered 20ml of this for Ninja, primarily to give to him and hopefully calm him down enough to get him into the carrier and to the vet's.

I'd just like some opinions on it from people who've used it before. Is it good? Would there be any point in using it periodically just to mellow him out enough to expand his horizons a little, or will that not work? I was thinking if it works enough for him to be able to see the vet (or allow a vet to see him, we'll have to see how it affects him first) we might give it to him when we bring the kittens home so he doesn't freak out too badly... Or does that not make sense?

Does it work well? I'm just about pinning all my hopes on it being a miraculously brilliant product... I'm getting very sad over scaring him in hopes of getting him to the vet, especially as it isn't actually working.

Fran
09-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Once used this on a horse who wasn't brilliant with the farrier. It worked well but kept having to keep him 'topped up' I.e. one dose didn't last very long but it was very effective with regular top ups..

Snoof
09-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks Fran... Was that because as a horse he was so big, or would I have to keep a cat topped up as well?

Edit: Oh, and can I please ask how quickly it works, too?

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
It works very quickly on me (if I feel travel sick it stops the feeling of nausea within a minute or two. That's with drops direct under the tongue..........don't fancy trying that with Ninja!)

Julie84
09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
When my kittens moved in, everyone was a bit freaked out (the cats only a bit, the rats very, and me even more so thinking I'd ruined everyone's life! :lol: ) so we all had a couple of drops of rescue remedy and were a lot calmer for the rest of that first day and never looked back. :)

I think it would definitely be worth trying for Ninja, even if it just takes the edge of his anxiety. Good luck.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is wait until they arrive!

Sweet
09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Is that the Bachs Rescue Remedy we adults take?

I totally believe in it......it helps me fly on holidays, calms me down and lets me go with the flow so to speak.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your input Sweet - and everyone else of course.

Ninja has, thankfully, calmed down some, and is almost back to where we were before the failed attempts.

I'm really getting impatient for the RR to arrive (yes, it's Bach's) so we can try it. I really want for this vet visit to just be over and done with - I've been stressing about it so much, and every time we've tried to get him into the carrier I've gotten really depressed about it because I hate scaring him.

I equate it a little to taking my son in for vaccinations. He doesn't like it, so I tell him it'll be ok, it'll only be a little sting, then they give him a shot, he cries, and they come on with another needle :lol: Always makes me feel like the ultimate bad guy :lol:

The fact that he's bouncing back so rapidly (relatively speaking - any other cat I've had would a) GO IN THE BLOODY CARRIER :lol: and b) not make a big deal out of it afterward, but Ninja is special and scared) is giving me lots of hope for the future and making me see just how far we've come lately... And that's making me happy. But I'd still really like it if we could just get this sorted out.

Kay
10-03-2006, 01:17 PM
If that doesn't work try Skullcap and Valerian. It's like anything some work for some and not others. Good luck and I hope Ninja isn't too upset.

Snoof
10-03-2006, 01:42 PM
He's doing better already, Kazz, and just about back to where he was beforehand :) Thank goodness - I was getting tired of feeling guilty!

Donna
10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Never heard of this before... would this be helpful for my son who has major trauma in going to school ever day? Is it addictive/dangerous etc?

Snoof
11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think it's addictive or dangerous, Donna, and I don't know if it would help your son. I'll have a look at the instructions when it arrives (getting really annoyed and impatient now!) and let you know what they say :)

Donna
11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks Snoof. Would be interested to hear.

Elaine
11-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Bach flower remedies are not in any way harmfull or addictive. Graham uses the valarian to help him sleep. I have used the rescue remedy on the cats a few times. Some say its better if you can put some on the cats ears but Eva wont let me get that far LOL Bernie did but he is one chilled out dude anyway. I only used it when he first arrived just to help him settle a bit but I think he would have settled anyway.

Donna
11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Does anyone think it would be any good for a child who stresses over EVERYTHING at school? Or am I just clutching straws here?

dinahsmum
11-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I think it is absolutely worth a try.
and I think it's a 'yes or no' product. If it's going to do the job it will do it almost immediately. So at least you know.
Good luck

Elaine
11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Does anyone think it would be any good for a child who stresses over EVERYTHING at school? Or am I just clutching straws here?

I would try it Donna, you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Snoof
11-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Ooooh, on his ears you say? I'm pretty sure I can manage that :D

Good luck with it, Donna!

Donna
11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Ooooh, on his ears you say? I'm pretty sure I can manage that :D

Good luck with it, Donna!

Can just see me sneaking up on my son and squirting him in the ears with this stuff :lol: :lol:

Elaine
11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
:-d :-d :-d :-d :-d :-d

dinahsmum
11-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh look - think I've hit the jackpot with this website! Everything you always wanted to know etc etc - and all the flower essenses not just Rescue
http://www.critterchat.net/bach.htm

Snoof
11-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Awesome DM, thanks :)

Snoof
14-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I suspect it's not going to do the trick for him, as I've put some on his ears and am seeing no improvement - but it may just be too difficult for me to see the improvement because he's really rather ok with everything as long as he's in his box and nobody's trying to pick him up or anything.

Unless I'm putting it on the wrong bit of his ears? I put it on the back of them, should I be putting it in them? (Not something I'm willing to do unless I'm told it won't do any harm, obviously!)

Elaine
15-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I suspect it's not going to do the trick for him, as I've put some on his ears and am seeing no improvement - but it may just be too difficult for me to see the improvement because he's really rather ok with everything as long as he's in his box and nobody's trying to pick him up or anything.

Unless I'm putting it on the wrong bit of his ears? I put it on the back of them, should I be putting it in them? (Not something I'm willing to do unless I'm told it won't do any harm, obviously!)

No, dont put it in the ears. A drop on fingers and rub into the tips of ears. Although Eva doesnt like me touching her ears at all, so I put it in all the water bowls when i use it. Have put it on Winstons ear when he has been a little edgy, it seems to do the trick for him.

Snoof
15-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Luckily one of the few things I'm allowed to do is rub :lol: So I can rub it into the tips of his ears quite easily :) Thanks Elaine :-D