PDA

View Full Version : Cat Health - Worms and Fleas (Yuk!!)

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Sweet has got me thinking - must sort out the cats worm and flea prevention but what I would like to know is....

1. What do you all recommend to stop fleas.
2. What do you all recommend to stop worms.

Simple really, just post what you think is the best for both treatments and when I should do the treatment (at the moment I think they would be due worming and they have not had any flea treatment since I got rid of their nasty flea collars around October).

Also if you could tell me if I need to go to the vets to get the treatment or if it is available elsewhere!!

Dont ask for much do I!!!! :-P

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
I always get my worm/flea treatment from the vets.

I worm as and when I think it is necessary, Arthur is a great hunter so he gets wormed more often than Bronwyn, both get flea treatment when necessary, but done every year. I do check for fleas regularly. I use panacur for the worms and frontline for the fleas.

Mags
08-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I get Cassie's flea and worm treatment from the vet (found over the counter stuff useless!).

I use Frontline 'Spot On' for flea treatment and Panacur Favourites Wormer.
I used to use Drontal wormer but often had problems getting her to take it.

Snoof
08-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I use a generic spot-on type de-flea thing (little tube of stuff, squeeze it over the shoulders of the cat). I have absolutely no problems with it. I always used to get the vet to worm, so I'm going to ask the vet for recommendations.

Kay
08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Definitely buy from the vets it might be a bit dearer but pet shop stuff doesn't work as well. For worming I use Panacur liquid or paste for both my kittens and when I have litters of kittens. I find both these very easy to give. For the flea treatment I use Frontline spot-on it is so easy to use. I also always have a packet of Capstar in the cupboard in case of a sudden infestation of fleas. Within 24 hours ofbeing given a tablet 100% of the fleas are gone. This can be used alongside the Frontline. You can get Capstar from the vets but it is cheaper online from Wormers.co.uk and P & P is free. Hope this helps. I would recommend you do them at the same time as worms and fleas are linked. Mine are done every six months even though they are indoor cats, because of the dogs coming in and out.