PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please..

Sweet
08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Collected Stronghold and Drontal from the Vets this evening, I can manage the Stronghold but any advice to how I get Violet to eat the tablet :? ?

Violet eats Hills Dry Food, the Vets Nurse suggested maybe Ham or Cream Cheese, but Violet seems to turn her little nose up and anything other than her food, she doesnt go for treats if I offer them.

My Son suggested Baked Beans :? :oops: - I know! LOL but every time we have them to eat, she wants the plate, which I know is wrong really.

She really dont like these tablets and we end up scratched to pieces.

Julie and Violet x

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I can get arthur to eat a tablet by covering it in cheddar cheese?? Does Violet like cheddar??

Sweet
08-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Emma, No - Violet doesnt seem to like anything other than her food :-(

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Hmm difficult one, you could try crushing the tablet up and mixing it with her dried food, however I suspect like most cats she will not touch her food.

I would either rap her up in a towel and pop tablet down her throat or a trip to the vets and let them do it.

Sweet
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Wrapping Violet up seems a good idea, I will have to try that, I wont do it tonight, I will try tomorrow, failing that maybe like you said a trip to the Vets for their help.

Thank you Emma for your help x

Mags
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I assume you are unable to open her mouth and put the tablet at the back of her tongue Julie?:?

If not, why not try moistening/softening some of her dry food/biscuits and hiding the tablet inside? If you think the tablet is too big for her to take in one go, break it in half and give it to her in two doses. Good luck.....let us know how you get on!

Sweet
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Mags, Last time it was just half and even tho shes friendly and loving etc... she got scared and scratched, she is quite a timid little thing really, dont want her to think we are hurting her.

I didnt think about moistening her food, but will try that along with the towel maybe.

Thank You for your help x

Donna
08-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Good luck Sweet!!

Sweet
08-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Thank You Donna - Thank You all xxx

Fran
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Have you tried the palatable panacur worming tablets that taste like cat treats? My cats love them!!!

EmmaG
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Have you tried the palatable panacur worming tablets that taste like cat treats? My cats love them!!!

Ditto I use these as well, cats love them :)

Mags
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Fran! You did tell me last year where you get your panacur tablets from but I have mislaid the address:(

CJK
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
twix eats any tablets right out of my hand, oatmeal eats if crushed and mixed in with tinned food, mr d i have to get in aheadlock bless him, and PF i dont know yet

Fran
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi Fran! You did tell me last year where you get your panacur tablets from but I have mislaid the address:(

www.hyperdrug.com (http://www.hyperdrug.com)

I actually buy Panacur liquid in bulk from them and Drontal puppy. The treat wormers I bought from my vet last time I wormed the cats as they had a 3 for the price of 2 offer on (That was the reason I tried them and my cats loved them!!!) :-D

Mags
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
www.hyperdrug.com (http://www.hyperdrug.com)

I actually buy Panacur liquid in bulk from them and Drontal puppy. The treat wormers I bought from my vet last time I wormed the cats as they had a 3 for the price of 2 offer on (That was the reason I tried them and my cats loved them!!!) :-D
;) Thanks a lot Fran!:-P

Donna
08-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Good website Fran!!

I am going to order some of the treat wormers for the cats I think.

Emm
08-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I find it easier to get the tablet down them when I put butter around it - it helps to slide down their throats a little easier - and yes wear a thick jumper as well :lol: those claws are sharp!

Snoof
08-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Sweet, if you have to give her a small amount of baked beans I don't think that's particularly awful. Does she just want the tomato sauce? You could just crush the tablet and mix it with some of that, then smear it onto a plate and give it to her to lick clean?

She may smell or taste the medicine and choose not to eat it, but it's always an option. One portion of baked beans isn't going to do her any harm.

Kay
08-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I would recommend using Panacur paste it is giving in a syringe and is so easy to use that I use it on my kittens. The vets should sell that.

dandysmom
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Emm, that was a great tip about the butter; never heard that one before & sounds as if it might work...besides, most cats love butter! I am impossible at pilling cats:roll: my Aby"s WON'T power was much worse than my will power: I did just what my vet said to do, wrapped him in a towel & wedged him betwen my body and the side of the armchair, forced jaw open (NOT easy! popped pill to the back of his throat, held jaw closed & stroked throat until he swallowed, let him go, and....he gave me a look that would curdle milk & spat out the pill!!:roll: :-D Crushing it with some tasty food never worked either, he would eat all around the part with the crushed pill...hope you have better luck!!

Rosie
09-03-2006, 11:42 AM
My vet has given me a wormer than you put on the back of the neck like flea treatment. Whenever I gave Rosie her tablet crushed in her food she knew and would eat everything other than the portion with the crushed tablet:( Putting it down her throat definitely not an option!!

Sweet
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
:) :) :) Thank You Everyone for all your great advice:) :) :)