PDA

View Full Version : Litter training Princess Freya

CJK
06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
The new litter tray has not even been used tow ee in! despite being behind the curtain.

I am wondering if she has been allowed out of the house, as she goes to the loo right by the front door everytime.

HAve read somewhere you can try filling litter box with sand, so soon as i can find somewhere enar me that sells it i'll get small bag to try.

I ahve been listening out for the tell tale newspaper rustling, and picking her up and putting in her litter tray, with the poop on the floor, that doesnt seem to be having any effect.

the only thing I can think of is either she was allowed out before OR she doesnt like the type of litter we use.

I dont know why she hasnt even used the NEW litter tray,.

going to find a cardboard box to put over it to enclose it.
Ordered worlds best litter friday, so it should be here by end of week, as did a bank transfer and that takes 3-5 days to clear.
Am hoping she lieks that.

we tried putting nothing but newspaper in the litter tray, that didnt work,and ahve so far tried netto cat litter ( hated it, mostly dust, smells bad really quickly and doesnt last long) catsan, i liked but PF didn't, and fussy puss wood based, which lasted longer than netto but not as long as catsan.

All the reading i do tells me the same things over and over, and i have tried them all

dinahsmum
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
You could try some earth from the garden in a tray? She's a bit of a little b****r with her toileting, isn't she?

CJK
06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
we dont have much earth in the garden, mostly stones, but it worth a shot, and yes she is a bit of one lol

Booktigger
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Hmm, I have never had probs litter training a cat - even the ones who have been living on the street know how to use a tray. I know you can cage ferals to get them used to using a litter tray though. IF she has been allowed outside, it is quite worrying with her being unneutered.

CJK
06-03-2006, 01:39 PM
she uses the tray but not for pooping in.
i was told she was an indoor cat, but wondered if she had been let out as she goes by the front door all the time, but this may also be because it's the darkest palce in the house.

maybe she doesnt like the litter

CJK
06-03-2006, 03:11 PM
ok, we're on plan E now!

have filled the tray up with dirt fromt he garden. Our garden ahd a lot of stoens in the earth, so I hope she doenst mind.
No sign of Princess yet, so we shall see how the day progresses, fussy thing she is!!!

logoes
06-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Have you thought of moving the tray near the front door, not ideal and you'd have to keep the door locked to stop anyone opening it suddenly and sending tray and contents flying. It worked for India, a week after I got her I posted on here cos I thought she was constipated, but found she had been going in a cupboard on the landing (luckily it had vinyl on the floor) I fetched oout an old tray with a lid and put it down in front of the cupboard and it worked. Now she mainly uses the one in the utility Room but the one upstairs remains in place - just in case. Incidently she makes us laugh, she announces she is going to use her tray as she passes through the kitchen and having done so comes racing back tail up- heavy footed- and shouts "I've been", and then waits for praise and a game - cats don't your just love them. Logoes.

CJK
06-03-2006, 04:54 PM
thats where i put her litter tray, right where she goes. I even put two of them wall to wall touching to front door, she still went on the floor in front of them.
She doesnt go anywhere else in the hosue and she will wee in them.
She being a fussy puss I guess.
Yet to see if the dirt works!

dinahsmum
06-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Garden compost or peat might work. Only as a stop-gap though. Get her used to that (if she'll use it) then put some peat/some litter, then more litter/ less peat, etc.

CJK
06-03-2006, 08:23 PM
well she doesnt like the mud, still pooped on the floor

Sweet
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Awwwwww poor PF hope you find a solution soon x

CJK
06-03-2006, 08:51 PM
so do i.
going to try putting litter trays in diff places.
see if that works.

as i said worlds best arrvives this week so maybe that will help.

it going to take some time i think. i'm running out of things to try

Snoof
06-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but have you tried those drops? You put two of them in each litter tray every day, and it lets them know that's the place to go...

We used them when Ninja had trouble with the litterbox and they worked a treat.

CJK
07-03-2006, 05:53 AM
no, what drops are they????

BEfore going up to be dlast night i completely scrubbed the hallway carpet, laid down fresh newspaper, and put the hooded litter tray in the corner she most likes to go, i put a small litter tray in the bathroom, as she sits in there quite often for soem reason, and then she has the big pink tray behind the curtain at the top of the stiars.
I put the food and water in the upstairs hall, but away from the litter trays.

I thought we had cracked it, as when i just got up (4am) there was nothing anywhere other than in the hooded tray, but then i saw her wee on the newspaper, so she obviously doesnt like the hooded litter tray, and didn't go looking for one of the others.

So i have just now brought the big pink litter tray down to put in the hallway. see if THAT makes a difference. And am off to scrub the carpet again in a second

dinahsmum
07-03-2006, 10:00 AM
You seem to have a problem on your hands here. I googled for the product Snoof mentions but haven't found it yet. I found this link from a forum which discusses the problem. http://chat.dailymail.co.uk/dailymail/threadnonInd.jsp?forum=73&thread=9562793&message=9800203
The biological washing powder tip is a good one.
Seems maybe you will have to wait until her hormones are resolved. Not only is she full of hormones she's also establishing herself in a new 'pack'. :(
The crate will be a good idea - put her in there when you can't watch her.

Snoof
07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
CJ, I sadly can't remember the name but if you go into your local pet supply shop and ask, they should be able to help you.

dinahsmum
07-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Here's another article - still no drops!
http://www.southwirralcats.org/problem_pages.htm# 1.%20QUESTIONS%20TO%20ASK%20IF%20YOUR%20CAT%20STOP S%20USING%20THE%20LITTER%20TRAY

yola
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Bleach and disinfectants can exacerbate the problem as the cat will continue to try and put its smell on the offending area.

Pet shops sell some kind of neutralizing liquid which you can put down after you've washed the dirt off and which will mean the cat is less likely to go back to that area and use it as a toilet. It's especially designed for cat/dog urine, vomit and poo!

CJK
07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
thanks for being so helpfull everyone.

I had that cleaning stuff yola mentioned when we had our last lot of kittens, got it from pets at home, it was fab. all i cleaning the carpet with at mo is soapy water ( washing up liquid)

guess we jsut have to give it time, and see how she is after she settles in here a bit more and after hte kittens come along.
at least she goes in the same spot all the time, so i can put newspaper down and save my carpet

CJK
07-03-2006, 05:53 PM
oh great!!!
i washed the carpet so waht does PF do? but wee in the corner all day.

i can't win can i?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??

Just grit my teeth and perservere, we'll get there one day

smudgley
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
CJ - Why don't you put her in a cage? I know it seems unfair - but everyone will benefit in the long run. Put her in there with a litter tray & her food / bed & she should then start to use the tray as I doubt if she will soil her bedding.
She doesn't have to stay in there all the time, but I would be trying it if she were with me. It's got to be better than having several trays dotted about & having her urinating on the carpet

Moli
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
There is a spray you can get that encourages them to go in a certain place, when I got ollie his breeder had been using newspaper, and he didn't like litter, so I sprayed it with (can't remember the name of it) and he started using litter ..I got it from the pet shop, its for kittens and puppies.........

CJK
07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
i didnt want to ahve to put her in the cage, but am waiting for my brother to bring it round for me in the next few days. She only seems to ahve wet the carpet twice, maybe marking her scent as iw ashed the carpet.
BUT
she is going to start going in the cage now unfortunatly.

do i jsut put her stuff inthere and leave her overnight or for solong per day????

i never had to do this before, little madam!

smudgley
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Well I could give you an essay on conditioning a dog to a cage, but cats are much easier.

I usually find they don't bother too much, I have got Matilda in a big dog cage with her kittens, although they are having lots of time out of there now they are getting bigger.

I would start off by putting her bed in there & leaving the cage door open, put food in there & obviously a litter tray. If she goes in there... great, if she doesn't just leave the door open & eventually she will explore. She needs to realise it's a nice snug/cosy place to be - they surprisingly feel secure in an enclosed environment & I'm sure she will be no trouble.

If I were you I'd put her in it overnight & whenever I wasn't around to watch her -

And remember, a cage is not a punishment, nor a bad place. But a training aid & a very useful tool for animal behavioural problems/issues :)

CJK
08-03-2006, 08:03 AM
thanks smudgley, that gives me some good tips for strating on.

LAst ngiht i put all threelitter trays side by side near the front door ( one hooded one, one small one with earth in and that large pink new one) nothing on the floor SO FAR.
i must say though i wont ever be using netto cat litter again, it smells bas really quickly, so if it smells bad to me within a few hours god knows what it smells like to the cats.

can't wait for worlds best to arrive.

i cant leave the three litter trays where they are, cos nobody can get in or out the ftonr door lol

dinahsmum
08-03-2006, 08:24 AM
CJ - you should be able to get this at most pet shops - it's a bog-standard (no pun intended) Johnsons product. Haven't tried/used it but it might be the product others have spoken of.
Hope you get this sorted soon - in fact I think you must get it sorted soon.
Do you think this is why she was rehomed???????
http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog/jpuppykittentrainer.JPG PUPPY & KITTEN TRAINER
A useful aid in the house training of puppies and kittens. Can be sprayed onto newspaper to attract puppies for toilet training, or for kittens, sprayed directly onto litter tray. Not for use on animals. WE REGRET THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED OVERSEAS
<SPAN class=actxsmall>

CJK
08-03-2006, 12:41 PM
have to take look at this.
I was thinking about this last night, when rehoming a 2 year old act would youmention " oh she litter trained"???

surely at 2 you wouldnt need to mention UNLESS there was a problem.

anyway, worlds best has arrived and we have made a small change to the litter tray.
Worlds best looks great i must say, used nealry half the bag to fill up the trays but considering a abg can last 36 days for one cat (so it says on abck) it deosnt seem bad AND
princess even went over to sniff it!!! so maybe this is the answer.

Mr D aint fussy at all, he'll wee and poop in anything, so have elft one tray with netto stuff down, jsut to use that last of it up, which wont take long considering how quickly it smells.

Watch this space....................

oh, will post piccie ofr her "new" litter tray area!!!!

CJK
08-03-2006, 03:50 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

we have progress!!!!

Princess has done a wee TWICE in a litter tray NOT the one she usually goes in.
There's one by the front door, now covered in a box, and up until now she has ignored the one behind the sofa in living room. but I filled it with worlds best cat litter and she ahs gone into it twice already today.
Also left ONe tray with old litter in, so we have two with worlds best one without. the one without has been ignored by all four cats all day!

so i can say right fomr the start theyre preferring worlds best. Just going to see how long the bag lasts, as if i want to order in future got to order four bags at a time. (i think if i remember right) If it's good (which it seems to be) then I dont mind as it is delivered right to my door for free.

the big test will be seeing if there are any poops on the floor overnight

yola
08-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Hurrah!!! Hope there's no accidents tonight!!!

Mags
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 Well done Princess!!! She was just a fussy slow learner CJ!!;) :lol: :lol:

CJK
08-03-2006, 04:42 PM
well we can blame ryan again cant we for naing her princess, ( still think Diva freya is more like it lol)

Am so pleased with worlds best i ahve joined the breeders club ( basically as we havng alitter of kittens and if i order so much in one go i can join)

Will be highly recommending this stuff to anybody.

So if anybody triesd it PLEASE tell dawn at worlds best i told ya to lol ( for every two people i get to order it i get a free bag myself!!!)

Sweet
08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Any poopies yet CJ? and in the right place?

CJK
08-03-2006, 07:32 PM
lol, what news to be waiting for eh?

nothing yet, but wee's in the place

CJK
09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
well,I am not liking doing it one bit, but have brough a cage from argos and put princess in it, left door open for while. put her in while i went out. When i let her out she pooped by the back door this time.

I really dont know where i'm going wrong, but have a feeling she is never going to be fully litter trained, and it's no fun watching your step everywhere you go.

Still, we'll try this see how we go.

got some of the kitten training spray from a friend who ahs some left, but thats not doing any good either

Sweet
09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Dont get dis-heartened CJ I am sure PF will get there in the end.

Snoof
09-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I remember when Ninja was pooping in the hall we were at our wit's end, and there were times when I thought he would just never be litter trained. With him, it ended up being so that once he was allowed to go out and come in at his own leisure (he always stays behind the houses and only wanders about 3 yards that way <---- :lol: and no further). It stopped immediately.

There's a solution out there for PF, I know there is - and I'm sure you'll find it.

Donna
09-03-2006, 06:30 PM
One thought - doesnt the mother teach the kittens how to litter train? Whats gonna happen when the kitties come along and they have no one to teach them? Or is that me just thinking the kittens would copy their mother>????

dinahsmum
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
One thought - doesnt the mother teach the kittens how to litter train? Whats gonna happen when the kitties come along and they have no one to teach them? Or is that me just thinking the kittens would copy their mother>????
Was thinking the same :shock:
Hope she turns herself around over the next couple of weeks

Donna
09-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Was thinking the same :shock:
Hope she turns herself around over the next couple of weeks

Maybe the kittens will teach their mummy!!;)

logoes
10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Probably you have done this already but I put India's poop into the litter tray so she got the idea of where to go. You can get a special de-odouriser for using on your carpets etc. from canine-chemists,(that's all you need to google for them) its called No Smell, and Petcetra.co.uk/ also have a selection of de-odourisers. They will take several days to work but should make your carpet less attractive to the cat, Logoes

CJK
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
i was talking about the kittens to my hubby last night, saying how she gonna teach them, but maybe the kittens would copy MR darcy? (i hope)

Will find a solution in the end

but thanks for all the tips, one of them's gotta work at some point lol

CJK
13-03-2006, 12:49 PM
well, yola's idea seemd to work, for a while. (of putting litter onto the paper on the floor not in a litter tray)

what i decdied to do was scoop it out everday, and replace the paper, but NOT ADD more litter, thus slowly reducing it.
What does she do today? poops on the bit with no litter left, so i tipped more of it back in there lol.

Keep trying, cos I really dont want to stress her out by locking in her a cage at the moment, wont do her or the bubbies anygood