PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys... Help me get stuff sorted for the kittens.

Snoof
06-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking we'll be ready to get the kittens in another month, barring Ninja pulling another two-week sulk at the vet visit and the catflap - the former seems reasonably likely (although now he's begun squeaking this cute little squeak whenever I come to pet him and I don't think he'll make it that long again - but he might) but I doubt the latter.

He'll be going to the vet's on Tuesday. The catflap will be installed as soon as he's recovered from that. Then we'll be ready - so I want to make sure I have everything I need.

We have 2 spare bowls (the kind that holds water on one side and food on the other) for the kittens to have water and wet food out of. I'll be getting another two separate bowls for dry food (I figure having water and wet food is easier in the two-in-one bowls because it won't mean tipping out dry food every time I refresh the water). Ninja has his own bowls (3 separate ones) which will be put on the ledge with his box so the kittens won't be able to eat his food until he's (hopefully!) well-used to them.

We have 2 litterboxes - Ninja will not be using them, as he goes outside and never uses a litterbox. Should I get a third, or would 2 be enough? I'm getting this many of everything to ensure nobody can guard and hoard any and beat the others away - 2 of each bowl for the kittens alone because, as Ninja won't need to guard his own food, I don't want him to get the idea that he should monopolise their foodbowls, either.

I will be getting a big pillow-type thing and hoping to pick up another box like Ninja's (as the raised sides give a bit of shelter, the idea of which he seems to like and kittens may love, being in a new environment). If at all possible, we'll be getting them from the same litter so they won't have to get used to each other as well as everything else. Should I get them two nests, too, just in case?

I'll also be sewing them a fleece sort of sleeping bag/blanket thing so they can pick and choose whether to snuggle into it, under it or on top of it. I doubt it'll ever actually be used as a sleeping bag, but I need something to do in the evenings :lol:

Toys and kittenfood of course. When are kittens old enough to be de-flead (I don't know how old they'll be yet)? Should I get some spare tubes of flea-stuff just in case? I guess I might as well since Ninja, at least, needs it once a month.

And finally, as they'll need collars, when should I get them used to wearing one? Is there any merit to getting some collars and putting them on well before they need one to go outside so they're accustomed to wearing one?

Please do tell me what I've missed - and whether I'd be an idiot to sew little kittyfaces onto the sleeping bag contraption :lol:

CJK
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
lol, i like the idea of the sleeping bag thing.
I'm thinking of getting some of that furry material and making my lot a few eban bags. the kids got some last month and the cats love them, so that's what gave me that idea.

I cant think of anything else you may need.

Snoof
06-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh, I'm also getting a crate to keep the kittens in at night, if I can find one that suits the house and is big enough for them. It'll come in handy if we have a sick cat who needs it at some point, and it'll keep Ninja from trying to eat them while we're not around.

dinahsmum
06-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh, I'm also getting a crate to keep the kittens in at night, if I can find one that suits the house and is big enough for them. It'll come in handy if we have a sick cat who needs it at some point, and it'll keep Ninja from trying to eat them while we're not around.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually think a crate is a great idea. Wouldn't be without it for a puppy and there's no reason why kittens shouldn't be happy, with a cosy bed, litter tray and a few toys. Much better than getting into mischief/danger.

CJK
06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
my brother had just said we can borrow his crate for when the kittens arrive, it's big enough to get a litter tray in and the small pet house/bed we have and food bowls. Theyre a good idea

Snoof
06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually think a crate is a great idea. Wouldn't be without it for a puppy and there's no reason why kittens shouldn't be happy, with a cosy bed, litter tray and a few toys. Much better than getting into mischief/danger.
Well, given they'll have each other, I'm guessing it won't be too bad - and good until we see how Ninja takes to them, at the very least!

I'm also thinking, normally I take bells off cat collars because I would go mental if I had a bell strapped to me (and in Ninja's case because stealth is part of his name and nature :roll:) but I may leave them on for the kittens until they're big enough that they can't get lost in weird nooks and crannies...

Kazz
06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I think you have covered everthing things I would not even of thought of its sounds like planning a military operation rather than getting kittens :) and although its not meant to your post has made me smile actually laugh out loud this is the sentence that did it for me. He'll be going to the vet's on Tuesday. The catflap will be installed as soon as he's recovered from that

I have no idea why though:roll: maybe its the pain killers I am on aggling my brain.:roll:
Sure all will go well with planning and that much of love waiting what could go wrong.

Karen

Snoof
06-03-2006, 02:36 PM
:lol: You're right Kazz, but in a house with my boyfriend (King Disorganised :roll:) getting a sandwich is a military operation, let alone kittens :lol:

Edit: Kazz, I wanted to thank you for this:
Sure all will go well with planning and that much of love waiting what could go wrong.
That's such a sweet thing to say :)