PDA

View Full Version : kittens - different breeder

jenny
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
hey guys, thanks everyone for ur advice regarding the little kitten i was meant to have.
Well it turns out he had a curvature in his spine and she was keeping him. And the 2 girls had been rehomed.
but alas, i have found another breeder who is 30 mins from me, she has 2 boys and a girl, chocolate points. They are 2 weeks old at the mo, but shes letting them go at 8 weeks? is that a bit odd? She said i can come see them this week and can put down a deposit if i want to.
They come with 6 weeks insurance, vet checked, wormed and de flead.
what are everyones thoughts?

Snoof
05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I think most breeders don't let kittens go until they're 12-14 weeks old, but I don't know what it means when a breeder lets them go sooner. I got every kitten I've ever had at 8 weeks or so and not had trouble, but I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to happen.

jenny
05-03-2006, 09:36 PM
all of our previous cats have been 7 weeks or so, but they were moggies. i think its different for pedigrees. but is it different if they are peds without papers?

bobbie3917
05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Jenny this breeder sounds like a BYB and if it was me i would walk away
the GCCF saya that all kittens should not leave the breeder until they are at least 13 weeks after having there kitten jabs

are these kittens GCCF reg? if not i would walk away and if they are i would give a quick ring to the GCCF to ask/tell them what she is doing

jenny
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
they are unreg, same as the last litter that i looked at

bobbie3917
05-03-2006, 09:45 PM
even unreg i think 8 weeks is 2 young
kittens are not like pups they need to be around there litter mates and mum much longer

Kim
05-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I think 8 weeks is young for a pedigree to go to its new home. Our Birman was the more usual 12 weeks old and came with 6 weeks free pet insurance and vaccinated. I would be a bit wary and do some checking up first.

Sweet
05-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I cannot help you Jenny with your questions, Violet is my first Kitten, but wish you every luck in finding your little Kitten soon x

Booktigger
05-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Am really puzzled why they are offering insurance if they are unregistered - on one hand they sound knowledgable with offering the 6 week free insurance, yet they are producing kittens that maybe can't be registered (the opposite of a responsible breeder) and letting them go at 8 weeks old - which even some rescues wont do in certain situations (like only having 1 kitten, or working full time). It might be worth you looking, and seeing what the set up is, but it does sound odd.

smudgley
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
The free insurance can be given out with any kittens / puppies.
We give 6 weeks free insurance with every cat / kitten that is rehomed.
It won't be costing the breeder anything.
I have never owned a pedigree cat, or bred any. But regarding being taken away from their mother - I think 8 weeks is more than long enough to be with their mother.
Obviously the kitten would then need to be vaccinated by you.

Fran
05-03-2006, 11:56 PM
I personally think that eight weeks is an adequate age for kittens to leave their mom. I think the reason most pedigree kittens are not homed until 12/13 weeks of age is because inorder to be Gccf registered they have to be fully vaccinated. If the kittens are not to be Gccf registered then I see no reason why they cannot go to their new homes at eight weeks of age