PDA

View Full Version : Sowing Seeds by Novice Gardener

Donna
05-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Well yesterday I was at the garden centre and bought all the things i thought I would need to start growing some seeds. :p

Today my daughter and I planted up two trays of seeds, one needing to be in the dark and the other not. I have got little trays with lids on and I think I have done it right. How often do you need to water??? Do you check them every day??? :?

I have never planted seeds before so it will be a rather magical moment if any of them grow to become plants!!!:-D :-D

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Donna depending on how warm the spot you are going to grow these I would check on them every couple of days, you shouldn't need to water them much. The lids will keep them fairly moist. You will however need to keep an eye on watering them once the seeds have germinated. I plated some herbs last week and put them on my kitchen windowsill and I haven't watered them yet but they will need watering in the next couple of days, and they are about 1 inch tall.

You can also use clingfilm over pots instead of lids if you run out of the lids, once the seeds have germinated just remove it.

Good luck,

What are you growing?

Donna
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
What are you growing?

Think I got some bizzielizzie plants and cant remember what the other one is:oops: but it looked nice in the picture!!!!

Also bought some that just plant out into the garden in April and got some sunflower seeds too. My garden will hopefully be full of colour this year, as last year was the first year any plants were put in so it looked a bit sparse!!:cry:

Sweet
05-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm a hopeless gardener - boo, hope your seeds grow, take some piccies to show us all x

Mags
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Donna, plant a couple of your sunflower seeds in a small pot now and keep them on a window sill.......you can then plant them out in the garden in May...

Donna
05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Donna, plant a couple of your sunflower seeds in a small pot now and keep them on a window sill.......you can then plant them out in the garden in May...

I forgot to get pots for the sunflower seeds Mags :oops:

Mags
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
:lol: never mind, next time you're near a 'pot shop' will do!:-D

Donna
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
:lol: never mind, next time you're near a 'pot shop' will do!:-D

Might save a couple of yoghurt pots that the kids have and put a few holes in the bottom!!!! :p

smudgley
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Donna - you are about as good as me in the garden :oops:

Good on ya for making an effort, hope your garden is all pretty in the summer. :)

Mags
05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Might save a couple of yoghurt pots that the kids have and put a few holes in the bottom!!!! :p
Yes, you could grow them in the yoghurt pots ok Donna:-P

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Donna if you have newspapers you can also make pots out of these :)

Donna
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Donna if you have newspapers you can also make pots out of these :)

Er..............ok..... Emma:shock: :shock:

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
taaadaaaaa :)

http://www.4ormore.co.uk/rollyourown.htm

Donna
05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, yes but i doubt I can follow those instructions!!!!! Get the general idea tho!! Very strange idea!

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Well it does give you the general idea....lol those instructions are a bit complex for rolling up a bit of newspaper ;)

Donna
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Does that count as origami?? Look everyone, I made a container!!!!

EmmaG
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
lol quite possibly Donna :)

dandysmom
05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Donna, unless you have a huge garden & are starting a gazillion things you really don't need a lot of fancy equipment. I get a pack of those cheap styrofoam cups that they use for coffee, poke a hole in the bottom with a pencil for drainage, fill with good potting soil, & there you are! I have been doing this for years now, just cover the pots with some clear bubble wrap to keep the moisture in, and voila!! I keep the pots in my upstairs back room that faces South & is always warm in winter; check at about a week for germination, when they have sprouted, check if they need watering & put the pots on a sunny windowsill. That's it!! This year I'll be doing 9 tomatoes (3 for me, 3 each for 2 friends), 3 hot peppers, 3 basils, 4 or 5 Gentian blue larkspurs (new for me this year, found them in the Thomson & Morgan catalogue)' 2 corianders, and 5 or 6 miniature dahlias. Don't take a lot of room& it is so much fun to watch them grow. It's so amazing when you're picking ript tomatoes from a large plant in August & realize that it started back in March with a tiny little seed:-D Good luck with your seeds & keep us posted.

dandysmom
06-03-2006, 11:01 PM
What surprises me is how early you all are starting seeds; somehow I thought your climate was cooler than here in the Mid Atlantic states. We usually start seeds here on St. Patrick's Day for planting outside the first week in May.

Donna
06-03-2006, 11:03 PM
What surprises me is how early you all are starting seeds; somehow I thought your climate was cooler than here in the Mid Atlantic states. We usually start seeds here on St. Patrick's Day for planting outside the first week in May.

We are not so different after all eh?? Most seed packets state Feb/Mar/Apr for seeds that I have seen.

dandysmom
07-03-2006, 03:51 AM
When is your last frost date? Here it's OK by first week in May to put out tender annuals since the soil has warmed up.