PDA

View Full Version : on the lookout again

jenny
03-03-2006, 11:04 PM
well, it seems we are on the lookout for a kitten again. The little boy we were going to pick up has got cat flu :(

So if anyone knows of any kittens around surrey area/ south of m25 or west sussex, please let me know :D

Have short listed siamese, bengal and british shorthair. Although OH wont justify spending £300 on a cat. so not quite sure where that leaves us...

Booktigger
03-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but do you have any other cats?

jenny
04-03-2006, 12:08 AM
not at the moment. We have a 2 yr old staffie.
Have had lots of cats before, but until now have not had the pleasure of owning another

Booktigger
04-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about cat flu then, and I would still get him. My neighbour had a cat who had had cat flu when she was younger - she died last year aged 17, and she had been a feral for at least a year, and had at least 2 litters - completely different to your Siamese. The only way you could tell was that she didn't have a proper miaow - she never passed it onto any of the other cats, and including visitors (like mine), she must have met in excess of 10 cats. I know of other cats who have had it as a kitten but then been fine as adult cats. Obviously you might get one that gets the sniffles more, but boosting their immune system, and maybe giving them antibiotics and there is a powder that helps clear their chest (although you can use something simple like eucalyptus in an oil burner, and putting them in a steamy room) could be all he needs.

jenny
04-03-2006, 12:24 AM
thanks for the info. The lady said he should be out of vets on sunday, so will see what happens and see how he is.
will keep u all updated :D

bobbie3917
04-03-2006, 02:26 AM
i had a kitten with cat flu a few years ago. when we bought a new pup he dicided to move out(the house down for us) and is now living with the old ladies son and is about 7 years old now

dinahsmum
04-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with everyone who says cats do get better after flu. Most of them do. My Mini was very ill for her first xmas when she was still young but is a healthy and noisy 16 year old now.
However, I think it would be daft to actually choose to take a kit you know has just had it.
My old vet had an oriental with constant 'candles' hanging from his nose. This was due to early flu. If a vet can't sort it out in their own animal, there's not much hope for the rest of us.
We are all too soft about 'taking the little/shy/3-legged/whatever one'. We should always try to get the best. that would be nature's way.

smudgley
04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Agree 100 % with DM :)

Luke
04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
This is probably a useless post, but for those longerstanding members on here you will all probably remember when Elsa was very little when she was ill, yes?
All i can say is having an ill kitten, regardless of the nature of the illness and time period it 'runs' for. It can be a lot of hard work and is very draining emotionally, physically and financially.
As much as human nature sways us to the sickly ones..i would say go for the best there is!:)

Fran
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I agree with Dm too....

jenny
04-03-2006, 05:56 PM
so are u suggesting i just say no and look for another breeder

Donna
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
My Misty was ill when I got her (just took her to get her away from the house she was in). My vet diagnosed cat flu and she had a course of treatment and has been a wonder over the last year. Grown so much, never been ill and is a little darling!!!

Just putting my two penneth in!!

Booktigger
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I personally would still take him - you have already chosen him, and this kitten still needs a home, and could be fine for the rest of his life, as it has been treated early. That said, I do take in elderly cats, so health issues are part of the deal. I dont agree with only taking in healthy cats, the sick ones still need a home.

Snoof
04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I think it depends hugely. When we go to the rescue, we might take in beasties with health problems (although it'll depend on whether or not they can affect each other and/or Ninja) - but when you're paying for a purebred cat I'm not sure I see the financial sense of buying the sickly one.

Might sound cold, but it's quite an investment really.

Booktigger
04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I can sort of see where you are coming from, as purebreds are a lot of money. But this cat may never have health probs because of this - it should have come from healthy parents, and has been dealt with quickly. But, regardless of its health, this kitten still needs a home. It might be worth seeing if they will give you a discount on the price just in case it does have health issues cos of it.

jenny
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
hes not a registered kitten....
and shes letting me have him for £200 rather than the £250 she asked for originally.

so dont know if that changes anyones answers or not :?

Snoof
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, for me... To be honest... I wouldn't pay £200 for a cat to begin with. I can't make myself do it when there're rescue cats going for a £50 donation who come with neutering/spaying (or voucher), microchip and shots. It doesn't make sense to me financially or morally (although morally I have no problem with other people doing it, but I'd guilt-trip myself endlessly).

So for me, it's still enough money that I would want and expect the perfect kitten - or as near to it as possible.

That said, I do have a weak spot for runts and the like :roll:

Dee
04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I personally would still take him, but it has to be your decision.

My 2 ginger boys came into rescue when they were nearly 6 weeks old and both had a form of cat flu. I caught it early and got them to the vets for treatment. The home lined up for them when they were old enough and well turned them down when they heard they had flu and so did another potential home. Their loss was my gain as they are now failed 7 month old fosters, neutered, vaccinated and microchipped and staying permanently with me. They are very healthy. The vet said they will probably be carriers, but this shouldn't be a problem as long as my other cats are fully vaccinated which they are. They could also get the flu back if stressed, but this is unlikely as the flu was caught early. They are gorgeous healthy cats at the moment.

Canis-Equus
04-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Id be a little worried, not so much about the flu, cats do recover from it, but that the breeder doesnt appear willing to keep hold of the kitten until he/she is recovered.

£50 off is nice, but whats he goign to cost YOU for a condition the breeder should really be treating?

Em

jenny
04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Id be a little worried, not so much about the flu, cats do recover from it, but that the breeder doesnt appear willing to keep hold of the kitten until he/she is recovered.

£50 off is nice, but whats he goign to cost YOU for a condition the breeder should really be treating?

Em

the breeder said she wont sell him to me until the vet has given the all clear.

Canis-Equus
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Ah, thats different then.

Em

jenny
05-03-2006, 06:50 PM
the lady has said the boy is no longer available due to unforseen circumstances. But shes said she has 2 girls still available if im interested. Is it wise to take a girl if the boy has cat flu?

Snoof
05-03-2006, 07:01 PM
It would, for me, depend heavily on what unforeseen circumstances made the boy unavailable, and if she's unwilling to tell I certainly wouldn't go for it.

There again, I don't think I'd take a kit from that litter at all now. I may be wrong.

Booktigger
05-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Would depend on the unforeseen circumstances. I know of two people who have taken cats on who have had cat flu as babies, or others in the litter have (both moggies, both rescues, and at least one mum wasn't in good condition) - the cats are 1 now, and haven't had any probs.

Kim
05-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Not sure what I would do in your situation, I think I would be very cautious and be 100% sure.

I am a 'softie' for the sickly runts. I am a volunteer at our local Animal Sanctuary and often bring home the oldies or hard to home cats. It always gives me great pleasure and satisfaction to think I have made their last few years/months happy. Our latest cat Sidney, is disabled; born with 2 deformed front paws. He is the happiest, most loving. funny and amusing cat I have owned and I have had quite a few! His character is amazing. I know this situation is different and when we bought our pedigree Birman, I really don't think I would have been happy to pay for him if he had had cat flu.