PDA

View Full Version : Habits - and question.

Snoof
03-03-2006, 09:46 PM
The only reason I don't like Ninja's habits is because I worry myself green when he breaks them!

Ninja is usually in the conservatory waiting for his dinner about an hour beforehand - today he wasn't. So I worried and worried and worried. Little git showed up just now and is currently eating (and was apparently ravenous :roll:).

Now I was thinking, given he's always ravenous by morning (usually not so bad by nightfall, but given he was an hour and a half late tonight, no bloody wonder)... Would it be mean of me if tomorrow morning, I fed him and then sat down on the step (fairly near his foodbowl)?

Because see, I reckon, if I just sit there and let him have his meal (I'm fairly certain he'd hesitate for a minute or so and then come eat, but be wary about it - if he doesn't I'd get up and go away so he could eat in peace) and don't touch him or pet him or do anything to him short of talking to him, maybe (depending on how jumpy he is)... Then he might take another step toward learning that I'm not evil. And since he's always ravenous in the morning, I reckon that might be the perfect time to do it so he'll be more preoccupied with eating than with being afraid (I can get up a little earlier than normal and do it before my son gets up - there won't be a little monster running around and screaming).

Would it be a good idea? Stupid? Am I just a raving lunatic?

I think it'd be a brilliant idea if he takes to it, and I could make a habit of it for a while so he can get used to being in the proximity of a human being who's on his level and who doesn't try to kick him (or indeed try to initiate contact, unless he expresses an interest). But I think the best thing about CP is that I can ask you guys and get a wider, more experienced view!

Snoof
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I tried it this morning despite not getting any feedback, and he ate quite happily and then walked past me (through a one-foot gap in the door) into the kitchen and then sauntered back out and went to sit in his box to be fussed.

Last night I also spent 45 minutes sat on the kitchen floor (at first, stretched out completely so as to seem as unthreatening as possible) getting incredibly cold (which makes my joints hurt :roll: the things I'll do for that little bag of meows) and getting fantastic snuggles. He ended up rubbing all over my arm (and nearly my chest, but changed his mind - still, it's definitely progress!) and doing that bit where they walk past you and you stroke their entire length and then they turn around and do it again.

He interrupted once to sit (very near my feet!) and have a lengthy wash, and then at the end he had another wash and looked at me and then went into the conservatory to go sit in his box, so I hauled myself upright, got the leftovers I was attempting to get to the fridge where they belonged, and went to bed.

He's getting better, bless him, and it looks like he's slowly extending his comfort zone (which was the whole idea of sitting by him while he has his breakfast).

Donna
04-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Didnt see this post till now, but I would say it is a good idea to sit with him when he is feeding if he will allow you. If you dont touch him or anything, and let him initiate any contact, then slowly he make come to being less scared of you. Every little bit of contact will help, even if you are just sitting near him or talking to him a bit. I sit with mine sometimes as Chloe is very nervous when she is eating.

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Snoof sometimes it does help if you can be in a room with the cat and just sit on the floor and try reading a book/magazine out loud, never actually look directly at the cat, I know it sounds strange but sort of ignoring them does tend to make them realise that you are no threat. Another lady I know of does this for her feral cats and they have all responded very well, you can also try sitting on the floor with some food your cat likes, again wait until the cat comes to you talk to the cat but don't look at the cat directly.

I hope this helps

Snoof
04-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys. EmmaG, if I don't talk to him or look at him he looks at me funny - he's used to being talked to. As he's quite comfortable now in his safe space being fussed and petted (and as I posted, he was in the kitchen as well last night :D) I'm looking to expand his comfort zone.

I'm certainly not touching him unless he initiates contact, but he's used to me looking at him and talking to him, and if I don't he gets slightly worried :lol:

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Well the slightly worried look he has when you don't have eye contact with him is good, as he obviously wants eye contact with you.

Have you tried doing the slow eye blinks on him??

Snoof
04-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, he gives them back.

Edit: Ahhh I see what you mean about the eye contact now. Will have to try that.

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Good news about him giving you the eye blinks back!!!! :)

Donna
04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Good news about him giving you the eye blinks back!!!! :)

Whats all this eye blinking stuff???:?

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 07:42 PM
lol

Donna the ideal is if your cat will keep eye contact with you if you slowly blink it is a sign to your cat that you like him, if you have got two or more cats you can sometimes catch them doing it to each other, Arthur and Bronwyn do it but it is very subtle.

When I do it to Bronwyn she goes mad....her eyes nearly pop out of her head and she acts as if she is in ecstasy!! lol very funny to watch...and she will also make the greeting noise when I do it to her..

:)

Arthur will just slowly blink back at me :)

Donna
04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Off I go to pull mad faces at my cats!!!!!!

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
lol @ Donna

Donna
04-03-2006, 07:52 PM
lol @ Donna

Just did it to Chloe and she turned round and licked her ar**!!!!!:shock:

Whats she trying to say????????????:lol: :roll:

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
lol got me a bit stumped there Donna :)

Snoof
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
:lol: @ Donna!

Emma, he actually started the eyeblinks a month or so ago, so I've just taken it from there :)

Also, he used to be very annoyed if I accidentally touched his front paws, but now he likes it if I stroke them (daft cat - never had a cat like that before :roll:), and if he's curled up in a circle and I stroke him all along his side he nudges my hand with his face when I get to the end so I'll scritch his cheek and start over again.

Oh, and he's also done the "Ahhh, being petted, let me stretch one front paw very far and then spread my toes" thing.

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Well snoof sounds as if you are heading in the right direction, I am sure he will go from strength to strength :)

Snoof
04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
He's doing very well, Emma. I'm very proud of him, as he's clearly willing to do things that scare him at first in order to learn how to be happy doing them.

Some days, though, I feel like an idiot when I'm squealing and jumping up and down in the bedroom, telling my boyfriend about the teeny tiny step forward Ninja's taken this godawfully early morning :lol: And I'm sure my boyfriend wants to throw things at me when I do, too!

Donna
04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Chloe has just spent the last 20 minutes on my lap snoozing and lazing and me rubbing her hair and cheeks which she likes!!! Think my doing the eye thingy works!!!! Or maybe she felt bad about licking her bum in front of me earlier!!!:-D :-D

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
lol I think Arthur looked away the first time, but I persevered and he will do it to me now, sometimes you have to do it reallllyyyyy sllllooooowwwwww lol

Snoof
04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Thank goodness you guys posted in this thread :lol: I wanted to tell you all what happened when I fed Ninja his dinner but I feel kind of bad for constantly dragging up this thread to wibble about his progress, must get boring for other people :lol:

I walked in with his pouch of Whiskas (I tend to hunker down and empty the pouch in his bowl and do any washing of the bowl when it's not mealtime) and he was wandering about to a different vantage point (his safe space is on a kind of counter/ledge type thing, and he was wandering onto a box), and as I hunkered down he jumped onto the floor and came closer, so when I'd emptied the pouch I stayed hunkered down by his bowl and he came and ate while I was crouched right there!

When I got up he flinched a little and looked at my feet (but I made sure to step back a little as soon as I was stood up) and then resumed eating!

And then while I was making peopledinner in the kitchen, he came in and did some twirling around and looking at me before walking back into the conservatory... twice!

EmmaG
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Snoof I certainly don't find it boring :)

So he has/had a bit of phobia about people feet???

Donna
04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I dont find it boring. I have two scaredy cats too. Admit they are not as bad as Ninja but they still have their fears so its nice to hear tips and ideas too!!

Snoof
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Emma, feet are his worst fear as far as I'm aware. He was a stray before the rescue got him, but I'm sure he's been abused before, and that kicking was a large part of it. When I'm really tired and he's being scared of things he really shouldn't have to be scared of, I seriously get angry with people for treating cats the way some of them do, on Ninja's behalf :(

Edit: And thanks you two :) Donna, I'm sure your moggies'll come round soon enough, with your help and care :)

dandysmom
04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
lol

Donna the ideal is if your cat will keep eye contact with you if you slowly blink it is a sign to your cat that you like him, if you have got two or more cats you can sometimes catch them doing it to each other, Arthur and Bronwyn do it but it is very subtle.

When I do it to Bronwyn she goes mad....her eyes nearly pop out of her head and she acts as if she is in ecstasy!! lol very funny to watch...and she will also make the greeting noise when I do it to her..

:)

Arthur will just slowly blink back at me :)
I read about this years ago in a cat magazine & have tried it with 3 cats....and thet NEVER blink back!!:roll: :-D I must be doing it wrong!

Snoof
04-03-2006, 11:20 PM
dandysmom :lol: Maybe they think you've got something in your eye :lol:

dandysmom
05-03-2006, 03:37 AM
dandysmom :lol: Maybe they think you've got something in your eye :lol:
Good one, Snoof!!:-D Maybe I'm not doing it slowly enough??:roll: