dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_109v.gif

yola
03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
*waits with bated breath . . . *

Luke
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Ooooh im on my toes here..i wonder if there will be another cp litter?!?

dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 02:56 PM
:? hope all is well..................think she said the appointment was for 10.30ish? Maybe she's off to town, etc - she'll be here after school's out, hopefully.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

smudgley
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I thought she said she'd be back by 10.30 :?

edit to add - just found post -- see below

smudgley
03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Posted yesterday by CJ

-----------------I dont know cos I'm a complete novice when it comes to pregnant cats, so am not sure if that is the reason why BUT Princess definatly has a slightly , how shall we say....rounded belly.

More rounded than last week.
So If she IS pregnant good on my vets for asking me to wait a week, cos I reckon they'll tell much easier now.

it COULD jsut be all the yummy din dins we been giving her.

You know, I can't belive we had her over a week now! where did that time go? It just FLEW past.

Just want to take this chance to thank everybody who has given me advice and tips to help with Princess weight, etc. I apreciate it.

So...watch this space.....vets tomorrow!!!!! ( be home by 10.30am) :shock:
----------------------------------------------------

CJK
03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
blimey, what are you lot like? You;re (almost) worse than me.
ok...well............................... we went to the vets at 9 am............................

but then after that we had t go to the pet shop, and then come home and drop Princess off and then go back to town for food shopping and the bank.......

and it's been a really busy day.....

Buy anyway......

(hee heee, trying to keep you in suspense even longer)

the vet said we should have.........................

..........................a new............................................... .....

Even bigger litter......................................

...........tray for princess as that may be the reason she donesnt poop int he others.
We went right to the ept shop and got her a HUGE pink one, really deep and big, cost me £5, but it huge, took 10 litres of litter to fill it up.

.anyway...........................

...................to get back to the point.........................................

..............Princes............................. .......................................

........................................Freya..... .................................................. ...........................

(i'm enjoying this)............cupcakes......................... ......................................

...........................is..................... ..............................

....going to be a mommy!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

She's around about 20 days (ish).

now comes the part I HATE.......waiting around another 40-45 days :roll:

as a treat all puddy tats got strips of fresh salmon to celebrate.

ok, in all seriousness, ahd she been my cat and NOT brought on the active then she wouldnt have been allowed to be pregnant in the first place, but she is. ANd I Am quite excited.

It turns out Princess DOES have GCCF papers, AS A PET CAT, and that's probably (from what i can tell ) why the previous owners didnt give them to me. Theyre next to useless now anyway.

My vets dnt have a scanner so it's guesses all around as to how many she has.

maybe we should start a book up, winning guess gets a bag of kitty treats lol

dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Exciting times - but I don't envy you having to determine who is going to be a good potential owner for the new arrivals!
(I suppose there is still the option of getting her spayed/pregnancy terminated now? Everyone seems to recoil from that prospect, but is stops all potential future problems for the current near-kittens....o r their kittens...or their - you get my drift?)
Well - you know why her appetite is good now:roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

Mags
03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 I was right!!:-D Happy days ahead CJ!:lol:

dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 03:28 PM
So 'who's the daddy?'

CJK
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
the daddy is the previous owners ragdoll.
NOT MR Darcy!!!!

yola
03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow - a Ragdoll/Persian cross; that'll make for (hopefully) rather beautiful kittens. Still CJ - I don't envy you, what with 4 cats and all those bunnys and 2 kiddies; kittens added to this is certainly going to be hard work.

Get your sleep while you can now ;)

When's MrD due for the snip???

Luke
03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooh kittens, how exciting!!!!

CJK
03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
well the bunnies pretty much see to their own labour and babies, the kids, mostly i let them get on with it or else i spend all day splitting up fights and arguing with them lol.

I enjoy all the time spent with all my animals (i include the kids in that lmao). It gives me soemthing to do each day, and it's great watching them all. The bunnies are lovely to watch and cuddle, and the cats are too.

I'm not saying it'll be easy to raise new kittens, but I am sure I'll enjoy that just as much.

Sweet
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
:) :) Great News CJ about PF:) :)

Lots of piccies please :) - how long do we all have to wait for the little ones to arrive?

CJK
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
not sure exactly, she ABOUT 20 days, give or take a few either way.
so about 40-45 days wait if i remember rightly, but am doing some reserach into it at moment lol ( me and my research eh?!?!?!)

Donna
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Oooh kitties!! I want one!!!

CJK
03-03-2006, 06:28 PM
she not had them yetand you're wanting one lol

Moli
03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Wow CJ, your house is full of babies, first the bunnies, and now kitten soon....I will be counting the days till they are born!!!How long is it???

CJK
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
and before anyone asks NO I AM NOT NEXT IN LINE to be pregnant!!!!!!!!

Moli
03-03-2006, 06:41 PM
and before anyone asks NO I AM NOT NEXT IN LINE to be pregnant!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snoof
03-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Congratulations Princess Freya!

May I suggest you start looking for potential homes for the kittens now? You'll have more time for it now, and if you have a bunch of people lined up you'll not be at sea when they're born, either.

And my guess is seven :-D

CJK
03-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Hadn't thought of looking for potential new owners now.
Any ideas where to start? I know there are various free advert sited online, but are they good places to find decent homes?
I gues if i "screen" the potential owners I'll get some idea.

Do you think it worth preparing a short questionnaire and asking them to fill in? ANd is it worth doing kitten contracts, or is all that sort of stuff really only for GCCF and pedigrees etc? ( well PF is a pedigree, but you know what I mean)

Any ideas on asking price too? As I have no idea.
Free attracts wrng sort of people, but too much doesnt attract anyone,

so much to think about.

Been looking into things i going to need for the birth, information varies from a cardboard box lined with plenty old towles or kitchen paper, to things i never heard of before lol!!!!

Snoof
03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Maybe you could hang cards saying you've got some kittens coming and if anyone would like to book them they can contact you?

I don't know about asking price, but I'd keep it pretty low.

borderdawn
03-03-2006, 08:14 PM
20 days and the Vet says she definately is pregnant? She would be straight up the Vets to be spayed if she were mine!
Dawn.

yola
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I would prepare a questionnaire CJ - it shows you are serious in finding good homes and it'll scare off wasters. I would hold off on price until you see the kittens - if they are 'to die for' then you can charge more, if they're a bit more ordinary, then obviously charge a little less.

However - I guess you could give a price indication (i.e., between £25 and £100 dependent on the kitten), and then see how it goes.

As for where to advertise, what about in cat magazines or at the vets? That way you'll be certain to (again) get people who have gone out of their way to look for the kits rather than scanning small ads in the back of the local rag.

dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 08:42 PM
20 days and the Vet says she definately is pregnant? She would be straight up the Vets to be spayed if she were mine!
Dawn.
Dawn - you and I seem to think along the same lines (see message #10). I'm glad I'm not a lone heartless eccentric. Seems the best way out to me. I could never be responsible for bringing any animal into the world if I couldn't account for it throughout its life.
Sorry . JMO

dinahsmum
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
.............but if you go through with this I would advertise in the vets, now (if people are prepared to wait they are half decent) and don't say anything about price until you see the people. One family's £20 for a cat can be as much a sacrifice as another's £250. But remember - they need to care for and neuter the kit.

Unless you charge £100 or similar, which includes a free neuter voucher (talk it over with your surgery)?

borderdawn
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Well CJ has only just had the Cat, she is in strange home with strange people, the background of the Cat is not known, the Cat is only a "pet" so not good enough quality to be bred from, surely the best option would be for the Cat to be spayed and end the thought of any potential problems? My opinion only.
Dawn.

bobbie3917
03-03-2006, 09:09 PM
i do agree with Dawn and Dm om this 1
but i also agree with what DM said about the price the right home is more important than the money

Fran
03-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Congratulations CJ! I hope all goes well for you and PF.

I would consider trying to get decent homes lined up now..

Phill
03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
piter, pater, piter, pater, of little pawsEASTER CATS!

dandysmom
03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Hadn't thought of looking for potential new owners now.
Any ideas where to start? I know there are various free advert sited online, but are they good places to find decent homes?
I gues if i "screen" the potential owners I'll get some idea.

Do you think it worth preparing a short questionnaire and asking them to fill in? ANd is it worth doing kitten contracts, or is all that sort of stuff really only for GCCF and pedigrees etc? ( well PF is a pedigree, but you know what I mean)

Any ideas on asking price too? As I have no idea.
Free attracts wrng sort of people, but too much doesnt attract anyone,

so much to think about.

Been looking into things i going to need for the birth, information varies from a cardboard box lined with plenty old towles or kitchen paper, to things i never heard of before lol!!!!
Yes, the questionnaire is an exellent idea! My friend did that when Kate had kittens; she screened those applicants as if they were applying at the CIA!!:roll: :-D They had to agree to spaying/altering, and to return cat to her if for some reason they couldn't keep it (no one ever did!) That way you can get a feel for the sort of home you're sending the little precious one to...when I re-homed Patches I had an interview with the lady who had to give her up, & took pictures of my other cats, my house & the screened porch so she could see what kind of a home she was going to...I send her a picture of Patches with my Xmas card every year for the last 19 years!!:D

Snoof
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I think what would be best, to be honest, would be face-to-face interviews with a list of standard questions you want to ask. Because you can't really tell from a questionnaire what people are like (or if they might not be lying) - face-to-face gives you much more to go on; inflection, pauses, tone, enthusiasm... Etc.

dandysmom
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, a couple of more things: sorry, I don't come down on the side of having her spayed now; that's a serious operation, & poor PF is finally settling down in a good loving home & learning to trust people; I simply would not put her through that now. That's just me, however. As to the number of kittens: I bet on 3; she is young & wasn't apparently very well taken care of before, so....my guess....:roll:

Snoof
03-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh, a couple of more things: sorry, I don't come down on the side of having her spayed now; that's a serious operation, & poor PF is finally settling down in a good loving home & learning to trust people; I simply would not put her through that now. That's just me, however. As to the number of kittens: I bet on 3; she is young & wasn't apparently very well taken care of before, so....my guess....:roll:
The resulting hormonal imbalance of being pregnant, then not having any kits, then having to adjust to not having reproductive organs could also be a bad thing. At the moment, given she's been treated so poorly and gone through an emotional rollercoaster, I'd be wary of it, too.

smudgley
03-03-2006, 11:10 PM
The resulting hormonal imbalance of being pregnant, then not having any kits, then having to adjust to not having reproductive organs could also be a bad thing. At the moment, given she's been treated so poorly and gone through an emotional rollercoaster, I'd be wary of it, too.

A few points in response to your post....There will be no hormone imbalance through being spayed.- her body will not know she was ever pregnant.
She won't need to adjust to not having reproductive organs.- She will not know if she has reproductive organs or not.
She has not gone through an emotional rollercoaster, cats do not have emotions as we do. Yes she has gone through changes / change of environment, but emotions, no.

As for her not going through a major op due her poor condition.... well is putting her through a pregnancy fair either?:?

I do not hold strong views one way or the other on this as it is a tough one.
But I do know that with any animals, only the best of the best should be bred from & only when they are in tip top condition.

Also - CJ did you know she may be pregnant when you got her?

Snoof
03-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I assumed cats' reproductive organs (throughout pregnancy or not) emitted hormones, which affect the body and the "emotional" (I think it's clear cats' emotions are not like ours is clear, but I think the word "emotions" fits the bill all the same so I'm going to keep using it throughout this post so as not to confuse myself :lol:) upmake - hence their going into heat when fertile and that affecting their behaviour and disposition.
I used to know a cat who wasn't spayed (back when I was very small, I have no idea why she wasn't but she never had kittens, either) and who was about as scared of strangers as Ninja is, but when she was in heat she would come up and be stroked and petted and pester you morning, noon and night (she was my best friends' cat).

If I'm wrong about the physical part of it, I do apologise. I assumed the hormonal system worked somewhat like ours.

But I do think cats have something we can call emotions - Ninja, for example, is full of fear a lot. PF seemed to be, as well, for the first few days. I am not coming down on either side of this debate - it's too personal a choice for me to do so - but I do think putting her through the stress of a fairly major operation at this point, after having been dislocated and having just begun to build trust in her new environment, carries its risks.

And yes, pregnancy, labour, delivery and the subsequent care of a litter carries its own risks as well. But given the initial response was overwhelmingly in favour of abortion/immediate sterilisation I thought it would be no more than fair for me to give an argument from the other side that might explain why this is not the choice everyone would make in this situation.

Booktigger
03-03-2006, 11:35 PM
I personally would abort and spay - I don't think it is fair on her to go through a pregnancy, I think it would be fairer to let her get built up, kittens take so much out of a healthy mum anyway - and however poor condition mum is in, nutrients go to the kittens first (and there really are enough cats needing homes). The other thing you have to worry about is Mr D being unneutered - males can still produce sperm up to 6 weeks after being done, and females can come into heat a week after giving birth - would you be able to seperate them to make sure they wont be able to get up to anything? The people who you got her off are very irresponsible rehoming an unneutered female as well.

Emm
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't know anything about pregnant cats but if its possible to abort at 20 days - (like I said I have no idea how long a cat is pregnant for so I don't know how far gone that is) - I think thats the option I would be taking unless I was going to re-home all the kittens myself. I'm not very trusting of other people and a kitten is such a big responsibility and finding homes for them an even bigger responsibility - just my opinion

Emm
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I just wish it would become compulsory (sp?) to have to spay or neuter your pet - that way these poor animals won't find themselves in these situations

smudgley
03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't know anything about pregnant cats but if its possible to abort at 20 days - (like I said I have no idea how long a cat is pregnant for so I don't know how far gone that is) - I think thats the option I would be taking unless I was going to re-home all the kittens myself. I'm not very trusting of other people and a kitten is such a big responsibility and finding homes for them an even bigger responsibility - just my opinion

It is possible to spay a pregnant cat safely & end an unwanted pregnancy. 20 days is very early to diagnose pregnancy & vets a will spay a pregnant female much later than this.

Emm
03-03-2006, 11:59 PM
ah right thanks for the info - I know what I would be doing then

smudgley
04-03-2006, 12:00 AM
I think I am going to perch well & trully on the fence here!

Part of me is saying they are not even the size of your thumb nail & will be basically a fluid filled sac at this stage, they will have no bone development at all yet.

Part of me is saying, now they have been conceived, rightly or wrongly - they are here & we should bring them into the world in the best possible way.

If I really had to decide.....If she were mine - (rescue cat or my own cat) I would have to let her continue with the pregnancy & rear the kittens.

Anyway whatever happens - I'm sure we will all support CJ & help her with whatever advise we can. :cat21

Emm
04-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Anyway whatever happens - I'm sure we will all support CJ & help her with whatever advise we can. :cat21

absolutley - thats what we are all here for! :)

dandysmom
04-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Absolutely!! Amen to that!!We are family!!

dinahsmum
04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Amen to the preceding posts.

So much so that I woke at 4.30 wondering 'didn't PF have flea treatment a week or so ago? Will that be harmful?' So, have scrutinised my bottle of Frontline, which says there are no reports of damage to offspring of pregnant mammals. Did you use Frontline? Or one of those fearsome 'drops on back of neck' products? Best check it out.

Goodness - you can't say you're short of advice.............you'll soon be telling us to shaddup! :roll:

CJK
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I have hardly slept last night thinking about everything that's been said.

I must say I got really upset over it all, NOT the comments made,just the whole situation.

I do agree she should have been spayed. I had no idea she was pregnant, if you remmeber when i got her i said I was told she was speyed.
I rather think previous people had an inckling she was prengant hence the sale.

I do not believe in abortion in humans unless under extreme circumstances, thats just my personal belief. so i cant condone it now, myself!

I fully understand and accept that we all have our own personal opinions and beliefs and this COULD be an extremely controversial issue.

Yes MR D WILL be kept seperate from Princess, that's no problem at all. My brother is lending me a large cat/dog crate, for princess for the birth OR for MR D after his op, for nights.
HE goes in march 14th i think ( will check the date in a minute) so hopefully there wont be any problems after she has her kittens.

YES....you can see i said after she has them....

I KNOW there are many cats in shelters etc, and i fully agree she should NOT have got to two and not be spayed, but she has, and IS, so i have to make the best of it, use my judgenment on finding only the best homes for the kittens, and do my best for princess now.

She has GOOD food, and lots of love, and i am sure she can get through this with my support.

I know it wont be easy, but I also know i CAN cope with this, and will do everything possible to help her.

I will be truthfull and say i DID discuss "emergancy" speying with the vet yesterday, discussed it in length, but Iam horrified of the idea of it, he did explain the risks are higher speying while pregnant and in her condition, although he said she isnt as bad as some cats he has seen. But he has told me there are vets in the company who will spey at anytime, and some who will only do it early on.

I HAVE given it a lot of consideration over night and feel it is something I am not able to do, according to my personal beliefs.

And you just KNOW i'm gonna keep at least one of the kittens!!! (neutered asap of course!!!)

I am trying to find a vet that will spey/neuter early so i can possibly get all the kittens done BEFORE re-homing them, if not am going to try and offer a neutering voucher.

Also going to plan a questionnaire, but thought i'd talk to people face to face and ask the questions, and have a kitten contract saying they are to be neuteres as early as possible, and if they cant be kept at whatever age for whatever reason, they come back to me.

I know that doesnt guarantee a happy life for them, but it will help.
Also decided to ask for potential owners name and address PRIOR to sale so i can check out they live there or not.

All of this is aimed to put off any unsuitable buyers, I HOPE.

Fisrtly i'll ask people I know if they want a kitten, next I'lla sk them to ask people I know, all esle failing will "Sell" them.

Any moeny raised from their sale will get princess neutered and buy a nice supply of top quality food for her to continue her good health.

Have also decide a percentage of the sale moeny will be donated to a cat charity or shelter.

So, that's my personal opinion, and can i politely say ( and please dont think I am getting on my high horse here) that we leave it at that, I really dont want to upset anybody at all, I am doing what i feel best for the cat, and I would like to ask people respect that is my personal opinion /decsision.

Obviously I DO really value all opinions, advice, support etc, but like i said I really dont want to cause a heated discussion etc.
The previous owners are idiots to let this happen, I wont repeat this mistake in future.

i hope this has come out sounding the way i wanted!
I understand everybody is going to have a difference of opinion on this one, that's life. maybe we'll be lucky and she will only have one or two kittens, and then I can get hubby to buy me a big house and keep them all!!!
NOw wouldnt that be nice!!!!

but seriously thank you all for your input on this, i have given it all a lot of carfeull consideration, and just because I am not doing what some have suggested doesnt mean i havent read it and taken it on board.

CJK
04-03-2006, 10:12 AM
oh and yes she did have flea treatment, advantage, and i cant find the blinking packaging to see if it may be harmfull, obviously if it is then i need to seriously re-think the whole situation etc.

smudgley
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Advantage is safe during pregnancy CJ.

It's one of the very few that are so you are lucky there! :cool:

CJK
04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
phew!! thank goodness for that!!!!!

smudgley
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Your post has come over well & doesn't sound like you are on your high horse at all.:cool:

People have given their thoughts and opinions but it is a very delicate situation & I'm sure everyone will respect your choice.
It would be very hard for me to spay a pregnant cat & as I said before I can see it from both sides, but personally I couldn't do it. (only for my own reasons & not the cats - if that makes sense) :?

So we now have PF to look after & we need to bring these babies into the world as best we can.

I'm sure everyone will understand CJ & I for one will be wishing you all the luck in the world. :)

Luke
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Your post has come over well & doesn't sound like you are on your high horse at all.:cool:

People have given their thoughts and opinions but it is a very delicate situation & I'm sure everyone will respect your choice.
It would be very hard for me to spay a pregnant cat & as I said before I can see it from both sides, but personally I couldn't do it. (only for my own reasons & not the cats - if that makes sense) :?

So we now have PF to look after & we need to bring these babies into the world as best we can.

I'm sure everyone will understand CJ & I for one will be wishing you all the luck in the world. :)

Here, Here Smudgley:D

dinahsmum
04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Absolutely.
Thank goodness this is a supportive place.................and knowledgeable. You'll be fine CJ, and so will the Princess!
Fingers crossed for a tiny litter! It happens: I think Fran's Claude was a singleton?

Luke
04-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Absolutely.
Thank goodness this is a supportive place.................and knowledgeable. You'll be fine CJ, and so will the Princess!
Fingers crossed for a tiny litter! It happens: I think Fran's Claude was a singleton?
I think (may be getting mixed up though) that Maude had two kittens..but one died and Claude was the only surviving kit.

If i remember rightly, a smaller cat usually has a small litter.....

Mags
04-03-2006, 10:49 AM
CJ, I hope all goes well with the Princess.....I fully support you and wish you both lots of luck......

Fran
04-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Maud had two kittens. One sadly was born dead and the other (Claude) we kept :-D Maud is only a small cat, so I think it is fair to assume she wouldn't carry a big litter...

Good luck CJ! I support you fully and I am here for any help if you need it ;)

CJK
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Thank you everyone, you're understanding and support mean a lot to me.

On the lighter side, do we have ragsians kittens or perdolls?

OH no the dreded pedigree crosses!!!!! (assuming the sire was a pedigree which he looked to be)

(i know this is a serious situation, jsut trying to make light of it a bit)

Luke
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I think we should have a thread to invent the 'name' of the crossed litter:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Snoof
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I knew an absolutely tiny cat whose first litter was 6 kits, so I'm not sure size of the mother defines size of the litter (indeed if the kits take after her in size they'd be small to begin with and maybe be able to fit better? I have no idea). But as far as I know, a first litter is generally smaller than any (hypothetical, as we all know) subsequent litters.

CJK
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
hmmm...
I dont even know if this is her first litter or not.
Last "owners" not answering phone calls, emails or anything.

Snoof
04-03-2006, 02:04 PM
hmmm...
I dont even know if this is her first litter or not.
Last "owners" not answering phone calls, emails or anything.
:roll: I suppose I shouldn't be surprised...

I am happy she's in a home with people who care about her and who will care for her and the kittens, and not with them anymore...

CJK
04-03-2006, 02:07 PM
well, I like to think i care about allmy pets, and do my best for them. Yous hould see what we've done now in an attempt to get princess using the litter tray...pics to follow soon!!

dinahsmum
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I would imagine that if she's lived, uncared for, in a house with an entire tom, she has had kittens before :roll: .

Btw, CJ, I think the best online ad place is kittenlist. They do non-pedigree as well as pedigree and generally seem much more 'up-market' and much less scummy/moneymaking than the others I've seen.

Donna
04-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Good luck Cj and Princess in the pregnancy and birth. I am glad you decided not to abort the kittens etc. I couldnt of done that.

CJK
04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
thanks for the well wishes everyone.
Am going crazy reading up on cat's pregnancy and births now! lol, you know how I like my research!!

Also going to try and find a few people who dont mind me phoning them if anything happens i'm not sure of during the labour ( which will be just about everything I reckon) and then at a later date make sure I get the out of hours vets phone number too!

Booktigger
04-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Fingers crossed that everything goes well CJ. As DM said, it prob isn't her first litter, the poor thing - that could actually explain why she is in a poor condition actually.

CJK
04-03-2006, 06:18 PM
well it's certainly going to be her last litter.
Found an advert for a local groomer, who comes nad gets the cat then brings it back to you, but I'm always a bit dubious of things liek that, if they come here and groom her or we go there it different....still looking though, think she could use some pampering

Snoof
04-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Be careful though, and make sure they don't use any products that aren't suitable for pregnant cats.

borderdawn
04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Its your choice CJ, but I think its very wrong, I feel so sorry for the poor Cat I really do. I also dont know how a Vet can detect a yes or no for a Cat being pregnant at 20 days, especially when you thought the Cat had been spayed so had no idea about her calling etc.. No ultrasound either. I asked a friend who scans bitches and she said its 30 days the same as for dogs.

Breeding from a Cat sold at pet quality is wrong in my opinion, not judging, just voicing my opinion.
Dawn.

dandysmom
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Couple of things, CJ: I support your decision thoroughly!! What I like is that all the friends on this Forum, and I do think of you as friends, expressed their opinions in a non-judgmental way and listened to the other opinions respectfully like the adults we are! It is a difficult decision, and in the end one has to go by the dictates of her/his conscience!! (I will get off my soapbox now!) As far as the questionairre bit, I didn't mean a written form that you'd hand out; rather, a list of questions you'd prepared to check the suitability of the would-be adoptee...if it's written down, you won't forget to ask something! Lastly, couldn't your vet have been able to tell if she'd had a litter before? Best to you and PF!!!

CJK
05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I didnt think to ask while we were at the vets if she may already have had a litter, it's something to ask when we go next time.
Maybe i'll hold off on the grooming until after she has the kittens, find a suitable time, ie when the kittens are independant of mommy, and give PF a bit of a spruce up then, just to be on the safe side with the pregnancy.

As for the pregnancy being detected so early on, I can only tell you what the vets told me, but if you know different then so be it.

borderdawn
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM
couldn't your vet have been able to tell if she'd had a litter before?
Most can.
Dawn.