PDA

View Full Version : vast range of prices for cat food

CJK
02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Been looking around at the prices of cat foods, there's such a vast range.
BUt is dearer necessarily better?

Hills science is so far the most expensive I've heard of, 20kg costing over £60.
James wellbeloved 20kg costing just under £50.

then you've your junk foods like go-cat ( no longer on the menu in our house)

Only ever seen dinky bags of royal canin at 2.99 a bag.
Eukanuba is sold by weight at my pet shop, ie they split the bags and weight to what you want, but a whole bag cost me 12.99 last time i got one.

Pets at home own brands arent as expensive as hills etc, but more expensive than go-cat. Is it any better for cats though?

I dont know if pets at home do hairball or persian ones at all.

Am ordering 20kg of james well beloved ( joining thier breeders club - well princess MAY be pregnant and all they ask is to buy every 6 months, and register new kittens details, so no probs there, not that I plan on breeding cats at all after this litter)

So soon they'll have one 5kg sack of each flavour James wellbeloved, some kitten some not, and some decent cat litter!

I never realised hills was so expensive, no wonder you get a voucher for £5 off when you register on thier website!!!

bobbie3917
02-03-2006, 07:14 PM
you can get larrge bags of royal canin here http://www.zooplus.co.uk/web/index.jsp they have all the types and in most sizes
i like hills but there is no way i would pay that much sorry (i need to eat as well as the cats :lol: )

CJK
02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
i think hills is a bit pricey. MInd you 20kg would last a long time, but even so......

Kim
02-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I usually buy the 4kg size of royal canin £19.99 (at Jollyes pet superstores) or the 10kg bag at £39.99. I have tried just about every complete food and RC is definitely their fave!

Fran
02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
My cats won't eat James Wellbeloved :? Recently been giving mine Supacat and they love it!

Moli
02-03-2006, 11:25 PM
My cats won't eat James Wellbeloved :? Recently been giving mine Supacat and they love it!I have started giving mine Supacat, and all 4 of them love it....:)

Booktigger
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't like the ingredients in Hills, I think you pay a lot of money for a food that isnt all that great. If it was my choice, mine would all be on James WEllbeloved, but PEbbles wont eat it, so she has to have HiLife (I am allowed to join their breeder club as it is open for rescues, but decided 10kg of biscuits would be too much for one cat, Ginger has to have JWB as they do a Senior/Light version). Smylees do sell it in 2kg bags, even though Hilife don't make it in that size. I didn't like the ingredients in Royal Canin either, so although the cats didnt mind it, I did.

Kay
14-03-2006, 01:43 PM
All mine are feed and thrive on Royal Canin Fit, not the Persian. A lot of the Persian breeders use the Fit rather than the Persian as the cats seem to prefer it. It is dear at £37.99 but I am lucky and belong to the breeders club so I can get it at £25.99.

Forgot to add that is for a 10kg bag.

candyshandy
14-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Sol and Fabian will only eat dry food. Fabian is on RC urinary food from the vets because he has high calcium levels in his blood and this seems to be bringing them down. That is £10 for a 2kg bag.

Sol and Foofoo have RC Persian mixed with Hills indoor (because Sol needs to lose a little bit of weight :oops: ). I bought the 4kg bag from Surreypetsonline for £17.99 but that was because I was already ordering the Catit water fountain. The postage is very high!

Foofoo has Gourmet pearls and roasted recipes too :)

DiddyDawn
14-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Mine love the Hill's but a few of them have sensitive tummies so I've now switched them all the Proplan Sensitive, this works out at £45 for 15 kg as I have to buy it in the 3 kg bags. This usually last mine about a week so it's works out really expensive. I did have them on the Royal Canin sensitive from the vets for a while but they didn't seem to be that keen for some reason......I may try them again as it worked out cheaper as I was getting it at a discount :?

Booktigger
14-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Dawn, Smylees do Proplan - can only see Delicate though, their price is £11.99 for a 3kg bag, rather than £14.40. They do 7.5kg bags of kitten, and 7.5kg and 15kg bags of adult as well.

Snoof
14-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I need a paranoid smiley for this but uhm, what's wrong with Go-Cat? Ninja gets Go-Cat dry food (he doesn't like most others but I've never tried the really posh ones) and Whiskas wet food twice a day (kibble is available all day).

Should I be switching him, and why?

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread - just shout at me and I'll start my own one I guess :lol:

Sweet
14-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Violet has Hills x :cat21

smudgley
14-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I need a paranoid smiley for this but uhm, what's wrong with Go-Cat? Ninja gets Go-Cat dry food (he doesn't like most others but I've never tried the really posh ones) and Whiskas wet food twice a day (kibble is available all day).

Should I be switching him, and why?

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread - just shout at me and I'll start my own one I guess :lol:

Nothing wrong with it Snoof. If it suits your cat & he has a shiny coat / bright eyes & a general twinkle in his eye - then it obviously suits him. carry on feeding it to him. :cool:

DiddyDawn
14-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Dawn, Smylees do Proplan - can only see Delicate though, their price is £11.99 for a 3kg bag, rather than £14.40. They do 7.5kg bags of kitten, and 7.5kg and 15kg bags of adult as well.

Thanks Des but I get mine from a Pet Food Warehouse and they charge me £8.99 for a 3 kg bag but they said they can't get it in bigger bags for some reason......I usually buy 5 bags at a time to see me through the week.

Snoof
15-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Nothing wrong with it Snoof. If it suits your cat & he has a shiny coat / bright eyes & a general twinkle in his eye - then it obviously suits him. carry on feeding it to him. :cool:
I wish I had someone like you around for my parenting, smudgley :lol:

Oh and while I'm here (it doesn't merit a separate thread I guess) he let me brush him today :-D