PDA

View Full Version : Age of neutering - should we do it earlier?

dinahsmum
01-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I found this interesting Policy Statement from The Cat Group (Blue Cross & other worthy organisations)
http://www.thecatgroup.org.uk/
Basically they are saying - do it at 3-4 months, don't wait for 6.
Interesting!

Kazz
01-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I'll read the link but I think (distant memory) Cleo was done about 5-6 months and Oscar shortly after but not that young.

Karen

CJK
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
twix and oatmeal were done at 6 months if i remember right.
Doing it earlier would solve a lot of issues, but only if it is safe to do earlier. If it were done earlier then breeders wanting thier kittens to be pets only could get them done BEFORE selling them, thus ensuring they arent bred from.

dinahsmum
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
If it were done earlier then breeders wanting thier kittens to be pets only could get them done BEFORE selling them, thus ensuring they arent bred from.
That's what the policy says - vaccs @10 & 12 weeks, wait 2 weeks, neuter, wait 2 weeks, kits to new home 'all systems go' no need for vet visit for a year, at age 16 weeks instead of the current 12-13 after vaccs.
Sounds reasonable, and responsible breeders could be reassured that their kits sold as pets could not be bred from, no matter what

Julie84
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
That's what the policy says - vaccs @10 & 12 weeks, wait 2 weeks, neuter, wait 2 weeks, kits to new home 'all systems go' no need for vet visit for a year, at age 16 weeks instead of the current 12-13 after vaccs.
Sounds reasonable, and responsible breeders could be reassured that their kits sold as pets could not be bred from, no matter what

I think this sounds like a very good idea. I think some people, perhaps, might end up with accidental litters because they 'didn't get round to spaying' :roll:
(IMO not a valid excuse but no doubt happens) not to mention the people that actively want a litter, or belive all cats should have/sire a litter before being neutered.

I had my boys castrated at 5 months - I did ask if it could be done earlier but 5 months was the earliest my vet would do it.

I dropped the boys off at 8am that morning and they were home again by 12.30. I had taken the afternoon off work as I wanted to spend it with them in case they were feeling sorry for themselves. As soon as I got home they were jumping all over the place, rolling over each other and begging for food. No drowsiness from the anaesthetic and no visible pain or discomfort. They also had no stitches so didn't need to go back to the vets at all. My partner was sure that I had paid £120 (I had them both micro chipped while they were under) just to have their private bits shaved as they were exactly the same as they had been that morning - but had playing time to catch up on! :lol:

Based on that experience I would have no problem neutering before this age. Obviously spaying is a more intrusive operation but I think the benefits of not having a litter are far more beneficial to a cat and the cat population as a whole.

CJK
01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
and of course any reputable buyer wanting a PET only wouldnt have a problem waiting that tiny bit extra and having a nuetured cat.

SHame it doesnt happen more often though, and shame more people dont get thier cats neutured, moggies or not.

Mags
01-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Cassie was done at 5 months and Sam at 6 months......

dinahsmum
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
OK - this has reminded me of something from pre-history!

We got our first cat 6 weeks after we got married (didn't get a telly till 6 months lol!). So, that would have been Aug 1972 (yes - it's a long time ago. I was 4 at the time! :roll: ). The kitty (Sissons) was quite small when we had him neutered, but i can't remember the age.

Anyway, the reason i am telling this story is because he had it done with a local anaesthetic only and I held him :shock: . Sounds gruesome, but it wasn't.
The vet was an elderly female (so it seemed to me at the time - she was prob about 50) with hair pulled back and a tweedy skirt. Very matter of fact. She wrapped Sissy up in a cloth, with just the rude bits showing, made me hold the cloth bundle, put in the local (yes he squeaked then, and wee-ed) and made tiny incisions and removed tiny accessories. I was able to make soothing noises, he didn't cry. The whole thing took only minutes, i popped him back in the zip-top shopping back, walked home with him and let him out the bag. He hopped out and was good as new - absolutely no ill effects.
Maybe we make too much fuss over it now, for the boys? That episode made me think it was pretty simple.

Kazz
01-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Okay found :D :D :D my diary Cleo was done Friday 28th January 1983. Oscar was done Friday 25th Feb 1983. Haven't written the price down though just a smiley face by the side :-D

deester
01-03-2006, 04:51 PM
When we had our first moggy the vet told us to wait till she'd had her first season before speying, we asked how we would know, he said we wouldn't be able to miss it. The only visible sign was that she was desperate to get outside, which despite our best efforts she managed to escape and no amount of coaxing with a tin of tuna was going to bring her back in. The next day there was a row of tom cats sat on our wall! Which resulted in a young cat having difficulties passing large kittens resulting in a cesarean saving only two of four kittens. So yes I think it would be a good idea to have it done at least before six months.

LMC
01-03-2006, 04:51 PM
When do cats go through puberty though? Snowy was spayed at only approx 4-5 months old (just before I got her from the RSPCA) and I don't think she's ever really grown up. Spaying/neutering obviously affects the hormones, so maybe too early is not a good thing?

Booktigger
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I think spaying should be done earlier, but there is a lack of vets willing to do it. There is a rescue near me that neuters all puppies and kittens at 8 weeks old, and don't rehome unless they are done - this is to save them being brought back a few months later complete with babies - they do have to travel to the vet who is willing to do it though. They have been doing it in excess of 14 years now, and the only one they lost had a heart murmur, so the outcome may have been the same if done at 6 months - they also kept one of the first males, and they never had any urinary probs with him. They find that the animals come round quicker, and deal with it better than a 6 month old - I met a 16 week old puppy, and the scar was so tiny. Kittens can come into season as young as 4 months, and as they are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first season, I think that is a very good reason. And of course, it means owners can't forget, or the cat can't escape before they have had chance to get her done. I know of American breeders who would love to make sure all theirs were spayed, but unable to find vets who are willing to do it at a reasonable price.

Emm
03-03-2006, 11:45 PM
my vet won't spay them until they are 6 months old - all my cats were done as soon as they were 6 months old - I'm not sure about doing it earlier but I don't know enough to make an informed choice on that one

Julie84
04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Snowy was spayed at only approx 4-5 months old (just before I got her from the RSPCA) and I don't think she's ever really grown up.

Genetically Snowy may have always been intended to be a small cat. You'll never know now, but I wouldn't regret it - spaying is one of the best things you can do for a cat.:)

I have two brothers who were both castrated on the same day at 5 months old (almost to the day). Now at 9 months, one brother is almost a kilo heavier than the other. Tom isn't fat though - just a bigger cat, you can see the difference in bone structure, he has a bigger head, feet and frame.

Snoof
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't remember if I replied to this already or not, but thanks for posting this DM. I'll talk to my vet when I take Ninja in - as we're getting a male and a female at the same time, I really want to make sure I get them altered in time!

Donna
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I think females should be done definately before the first season. As soon as you can. I got both my female cats within six weeks of each other and they were speyed around five months I think, and never did I ever consider letting them have kittens. It is just a natural process - buy a kitten, get it speyed.

Both mine had no side effects or problems from the op and it was the best money I could of spent on them. I couldnt of coped with looking after a pregnant cat, labour and kittens, let alone finding homes for them all.

Booktigger
05-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Here is a link to an early spay and neuter study - I don't think it has been done long enough for any long term effects, but might be able to find one that has.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/early-neuter.html

bobbie3917
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
im on a cat breeders group (well a few) and a lot of the do it at 15 weeks before they go to there new homes. BUT it is finding a vet that will do it that young. i would get my boys done befor they leave but no vet in the area will do it that young its a shame really

Moli
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
All my boys were done at 5 months....

DiddyDawn
23-03-2006, 11:21 PM
My vet won't do them until they are 6 months old and I totally agree with him. I think it would be like having your child go through a hysterectomy at a young age......I would prefer for mine, both male and female to mature inside first. In males my vet said it can effect the size of the urethra if they are done before puberty and this would make sense.....I'm happy with the way things are with my vets and even if they would do them at a younger age, I would stick to the 6 months.

Booktigger
24-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Dawn, there have been studies in America (Will find the links later) that prove that it doesn't affect the size of the uretha - and I know a rescue that have been doing early neuter for over 14 years with no probs in the male cats. And females have less chance of mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat, which can happen before 6 months.

dinahsmum
24-03-2006, 10:09 AM
We all tend to be guilty of 'doublespeak/doublethink' over our cats. 'Doesn't seem natural' isn't a very good argument, for an animal which we keep quite unnaturally in our houses, feed them on 'unnatural' convenience foods, etc etc.
Yet another feline dilemma! Best to make a decision you are happy with and stick to it. If it's made with what you think is your pet's best interests at heart - go for it!

emma_pen
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I see the down sides of neutering dogs early. BUT, as a VN I can honestly say earlier is better in cats - I have expreienced cats get pregnant at 4 months of age and there are too many 'accidents'. I think it is especially important in females. WE neuter from 4.5 months of age, though the norm is 5.5 months. We have neutered ferals as young as 12 weeks.

geniejackson
05-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Daisy was done 20th Oct 2005 ...22 weeks old.

Naomi
06-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Moli was done at 5.5/6 months and if anything she's grown up quicker. She doesn't seem to have her kitten 5 minutes anymore. She hasn't really 'played' since the day she was done.

I would have prefered to have had her done as soon as we got her, about 11/12 weeks old, atleast it would have all been over and done with. I think it would be a good idea for kittens to be done before they went to new homes.