PDA

View Full Version : Made to feel guilty

Rosie
28-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I have had my Rosie for 8 years and Holly my lurcher for 9 years. I am, to be honest, a dog person really although I like cats as we always had them at home when I was small. I used to foster cats and that is how I came to have Rosie as a small kitten that never left! Anyway - Rosie is just a constant in the house if you know what I mean. The three of us co-exist together and Rosie's world is big. My garden backs on to fields and she has constant access to the outside which she loves night and day. However I am not a person who is overly tactile with cats and people say that Rosie misses out. I believe that cats don't need to be petted all the time like dogs. She seems content she sleeps on my bed at night (her and Holly) she visits the neighbours who all like her and hunts and brings home trophies on a regular basis. My neighbours daughter said that when she died she would like to come back as Rosie! Is she missing out because I don't fuss her?

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I think our cats tend to train us quite well! They certainly don't stand for anything they don't want and they also have a habit of finding themselves homes that they are happy with - to the extent of actually abandoning owners in certain cases.

Personally, I think it is you that is missing out on puddy-loves, head butts etc, but that is your choice and is fine.

I'm sure if Rosie could speak (and read!) she would refer you to Kipling and say that she is very content being 'The Cat That Walked By Itself'

She is fine!

LMC
28-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Agree with all that.

My Snowy sleeps on the bed and sometimes likes a bit of fuss - but she's very independent and just as happy left alone. Whereas Jenny and Amber will shout at me and demand attention when they want it.

If you weren't giving Rosie enough attention, she'd let you know - but it sounds to me like she has a wonderful life with all that space and a nice warm bed to sleep on when she wants it!

yola
28-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I think cats are satisfied with what they get used to - providing their not being mistreated of course - which I'm in no way suggesting happens with you, btw!!! Mine get kisses and snuggles all the time and I know feel put out if they don't receive this for whatever reason. If Rosie is used to a certain level of affection and seems happy with this they I don't really think there is a problem as far as she's concerned.

Donna
28-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Rosie seems to have a good life. Dont think all cats like fuss. My Chloe runs a mile if you even go to touch her. She only wants attention if she comes to you, and that is not often. But know she is happy and content. Some cats are happy with no fuss, warm bed, and food!!

CJK
28-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I worreid for along time that oatmeal and twix were missing out cos they rarely got petted at one point, but then when Mr d came along and oatmeal saw him getting fussed he came back to me for fusses, twix never has. i relaised then that it was the cats who didnt come for a fuss, even when I made silly kissy noises at them! ( maybe that scared em away- "oh noooo she gonna ksis us, YEEEUUKK")

oatmela was fine until once while i was pregnant with elliot, he sat on my bump and the bump kicked oatmeal in the belly lol