PDA

View Full Version : What age - what food?

Ruthlynn
27-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi all,
When I picked Lily up from the rescue place, the lady said that she wasn't on kitten food anymore - she's five months old now. So I've been feeding her the adult variety but she's sooooo hungry all the time that it occured to me that it just didn't have enough protein in it for her. Anyone got any advise? I bought some Feli kitten today - not too keen on Felix but it was the only kitten variety I could see apart from Iams which I'm even less keen on!
any input would be welcome!:D

dinahsmum
27-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I'll need to catch up on kitten feeding as it's been a long time..............
I would have thought that a 5 month old was still building up its body and using lots of energy too, so I think you're right to go back to kitten.
Good luck with her.

Kazz
27-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd stick with the kitten food at 5 months - do you know I don't remember there being kitten food around when my two were kittens - was there kitten food around 23/24 years ago - I can't remember what I fed them:?

dinahsmum
27-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I'd stick with the kitten food at 5 months - do you know I don't remember there being kitten food around when my two were kittens - was there kitten food around 23/24 years ago - I can't remember what I fed them:?
There was Whiskas Kitten, Kazz. In the half height cans, with a brown wrapper. Trying to think hard about when/where/for which cat(s) I've used it. If I get terribly bored I'll see if I can google a 'history of whiskas kitten food! :roll:

Kazz
27-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Ta DM

Do you know I have no idea how my two got passed being kittens never mind get old because I don't recall reading a book or even feeding them kitten food - :? let alone looking into a website :shock: how times change.

Ruthlynn
27-02-2006, 07:29 PM
It's true guys - they all survived without these special diets and stuff - When we had Murph, i spent more time worrying about his diet that ours and I think he was better fed too!!:roll: :D

Donna
27-02-2006, 08:37 PM
My cats were fed on kitten food up to one year. The vet advised me of this, and it is also on all the packaging.

I did try weaning them off of the kitten food a bit earlier than one year as it seemed rather bland for Misty's taste, but although they LOVED the adult food taste, it gave them sore tummies as it was too rich for them. Five months is too young to be on adult food as it has less calories and is too rich for their tummies.

Elaine
27-02-2006, 10:05 PM
KazzI'd stick with the kitten food at 5 months - do you know I don't remember there being kitten food around when my two were kittens - was there kitten food around 23/24 years ago - I can't remember what I fed them:???:
I dont remember what I fed Winston 20 years ago either.

But i do remember when Eva was a kitten and the vet advised us that she should be on kitten food until she was a year old. But then at around 10 months old they told us to start her on adult food because she was becoming an extremely large lady cat and had filled out a little more than she needed.

Elaine
27-02-2006, 10:07 PM
[quote=Elaine]KazzI'd stick with the kitten food at 5 months - do you know I don't remember there being kitten food around when my two were kittens - was there kitten food around 23/24 years ago - I can't remember what I fed them:???:

But i do remember when Eva was a kitten and the vet advised us that she should be on kitten food until she was a year old. But then at around 10 months old they told us to start her on adult food because she was becoming an extremely large lady cat and had filled out a little more than she needed

Elaine
27-02-2006, 10:08 PM
[KazzI'd stick with the kitten food at 5 months - do you know I don't remember there being kitten food around when my two were kittens - was there kitten food around 23/24 years ago - I can't remember what I fed them:???:

But i do remember when Eva was a kitten and the vet advised us that she should be on kitten food until she was a year old. But then at around 10 months old they told us to start her on adult food because she was becoming an extremely large lady cat and had filled out a little more than she needed[/quote]

Elaine
27-02-2006, 10:08 PM
LOL what a bloody mess i made of that LOL

Booktigger
28-02-2006, 03:43 PM
There are so many conflicting theories on this - some say that when they have been neutered they no longer need the extra calories, some say a year, some say 10 months. I think the most sensible was to keep them on it until they look 'adult size' and then wean them off (doing it gradually) to avoid them getting overweight.