PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat respond to his/her name?

Kazz
27-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I wonder if your cats respond to their names? I had never considered it before tonight but a neighbour just popped in and while I was talking to her she was amazed when Cleo responded to her name - I called her and she came - I did not consider this unusual but my neighbour found it amazing!!!
Oscar and Cleo both have always responded to their names I could call Oz and Cleo would not move vice versa if I wantedthem in from outside (out of sight) I only needed to call them and they came...

So I wonder do your cats come when called by their name

Karen

smudgley
27-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Smudge & Emily both know their names.
Even Matilda is getting to know her name & she's only had it for 3 weeks! :shock:

I really think it depends how much you use it & how much interaction you have with your cat.

We have a cat at work & she doesn't know her name as noone ever uses it. She's always asleep though :roll:

Edit to add ~ She has had it about 2 weeks actually. Because she came here 2 weeks and 5 days ago - but was nameless for a few days!

Kazz
27-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah you could be right Smudgley...I can call Sal and Tess, Oz nor Cleo would move from the heap of sleeping bodies....say "girls" and Tess and Sal come say "Here you are" and all four would move....as "Here you are" is usually followed by food.:roll:

Karen

Note for those who don't know
Sal and Tess are the dogs, Oz and Cleo the cats.:)

Snoof
27-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Fred, Dishrag, Manfish and Rajah did. Jake never did, but he was a bit of a rogue (and a really talented thief!).

Ninja, surprisingly, even though he's skittish and grumpy, will come in from outside when I shout "Niiiinjaaaaa, foodieeeeees!" (as you do :lol:) but he will usually wait until I've vacated the room his food is in to eat (except when it was in the kitchen, he'd just keep an eye on me - we have a pretty big kitchen).

bobbie3917
27-02-2006, 12:59 AM
yes all of my cats have know there names and when i had out door cats they would come right home after 1 or 2 calls.
Minx is 18 weeks and knows her name well and when i had sky she was first called pindy and we didnt like it so changed it and she soon picked it up.

i cant really say if mittens know her name as she was always behind me so never really had to call her

dandysmom
27-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Mine have always known their names, and respond IF they are in the mood!!:D Leia was only 3 months old when I re-homed her, but she knew her name (I had planned on caling her Taz, but she knew she was Leia... so..:roll:) She also responds to "crunchies" which is what I call their dry food snack at lunch time...and Patches responds to "milk"...her special treat!:-D

Emm
27-02-2006, 09:08 AM
all my cats know their names - and the dogs also know the names of each cat - if you call say Confucious then the dogs will go and find her and get it right :lol:

Moli
27-02-2006, 09:11 AM
My cats all respomd to their names...

LMC
27-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Jenny definitely knows her name. I think the other 3 respond more to my tone of voice - Amber comes whichever of them I call and Snowy and Molly only ever respond if they feel like it :lol:

dinahsmum
27-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Mine both know their names - plus the various nick-names which they respond to.

yola
27-02-2006, 10:18 AM
All my 3 cats usually come running (if they feel like it) when I call their names. Even if theyr'e asleep, they will look up if I say their name to them.

janey83
27-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Tigger has always responded to his name

CJK
27-02-2006, 10:48 AM
twix and oatemal come runnig when i call thier names. MR Darcy only comes running to the word dinner, and princess only had her name about 5 days, but she comes when you make that lip smakcing /kissy noise.

PaulaB
27-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Tippy and Socks will answer if they feel like it. Queenie always comes. BUT if a couple of whistles are done ALL of them come running as a cat treat is given.

random
27-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Yep Tabs does, but you have to shout, TABBBBBBBBBBS tabtabtabtabtabtab, and then she will come! :mrgreen:

Mags
27-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Cassie always responds to her name by lifting her head.....whether she will come running to me depends what mood she is in!:roll: :lol:

CathyW
27-02-2006, 03:50 PM
dogs come when u call their name, cats take a message n get back to you later :lol:

Snoof
27-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Just now when I stopped loving on Ninja he decided to go see what's shakin' in the 'hood (:roll:) and when he got to the hole he goes out through, I said "Hey Ninja, you going out?" and he pulled his head out of the hole to look at me (in that impatient, what-has-the-human-got-to-blabber-about-now way :lol:)... Then left when I said "No it's ok, have fun darling".

I don't need to work to become a crazy catlady, do I? :lol: :oops:

Elaine
27-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Winston no longer comes when i call him but that is because his hearing is pretty dull these days or maybe its just selective. Graham says he doesnt respond to my calls because he gets waited on hand and foot so why should he when i am gonna run after his ass anyway:shock:
Eva responds to my calls unless she is in a big cream puff about something:D
Bernie doesnt really respond to his name but responds big time when his food is being served up:lol:

Donna
27-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Misty and Chloe come running when I call them IF THEY WANT TO. Chloe normally talks to you as she comes running which is quite sweet!!!

Fran
27-02-2006, 09:26 PM
dogs come when u call their name, cats take a message n get back to you later :lol:

All my cats know their names and come to call. If they are outside they all come when they are called :-D

dandysmom
27-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Just now when I stopped loving on Ninja he decided to go see what's shakin' in the 'hood (:roll:) and when he got to the hole he goes out through, I said "Hey Ninja, you going out?" and he pulled his head out of the hole to look at me (in that impatient, what-has-the-human-got-to-blabber-about-now way :lol:)... Then left when I said "No it's ok, have fun darling".

I don't need to work to become a crazy catlady, do I? :lol: :oops:
A good one, Snoof..FUNNY!!

bobbie3917
28-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Misty and Chloe come running when I call them IF THEY WANT TO. Chloe normally talks to you as she comes running which is quite sweet!!!

Minx likes to chat while she on her way you can hear her before you see her she is a right chatter box

and nope Snoof your half way there LOL

Snoof
28-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't encourage me, you guys :roll:

:lol: