PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast tips please

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I struggle to find a breakfast that fills me. Toast doesn't, oatcakes don't, and have been on porridge for the past couple of weeks and that hasn't worked. I tend to eat when I Get to work, cos I dont get hungry before then. So, it has to be something easy to make, and I have access to a fridge, microwave and toaster. I don't like bananas or grapefruit though.

Donna
26-02-2006, 11:18 AM
My low carb cooked breakfast keeps me going till at least 3pm - grilled sausage, bacon, tomato and scrambled egg, but not easy to make at work.

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 11:20 AM
i also forgot to mention I am a vegi as well.

Donna
26-02-2006, 11:21 AM
i also forgot to mention I am a vegi as well.

Ooops, dont think my breakfast will be any good then. Maybe someone else can help as I have no idea what you could eat apart from vegetables!:shock:

dinahsmum
26-02-2006, 12:30 PM
I would have said porridge - but that seems to have failed? :? Do you make it with good rolled oats, rather than Scotts etc, which I think is a bit like wallpaper paste? :roll: Get some jumbo oats from Holland & Barrett/Julian Graves etc - they take longer than commercial stuff - m/w for 5 minutes. If that's not enough add a slice of 'bread with grains' - granary or seeded wholemeal - with peanut butter.
All the above are low GI and therefore (in theory) slow energy release, so should see you through.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, I have just been using these Quaker Oats so Simple, so might try and get some 'proper' stuff - might not be able to get to Holland and Barrett next weekend though. will try it with the bread till then, I just feel odd having toast and porridge, but better than picking at stuff!!

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Sainsburys also do a very good whole oats for porridge (I think it is part of their taste the difference range). Far far better than the quick cook stuff.

How about having scrambled egg on a good quality wholemeal bread and then follow that with porridge or a good quality muesli

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 12:44 PM
there isn't a Sainsburys near me. And that concoction would take way too long at work, but might try it at home.

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 12:47 PM
You can cook the scrambled eggs in the microwave, they take about 2 mins to cook, these could be cooking whilst you are going the toast.

I think if your breakfast isn't filling you up you need to look at putting a bit more protein and perhaps a little bit more fat in your diet, these are the items that make you feel full up. Perhaps being a vegetarian you are lacking in these therefore your body still wants more food.

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I only know how to cook scrambled eggs in the microwave!!! I just thought that making scrambled eggs, eating that and then cooking porridge would be too much at work.
I do need to do something, i have been feeling hungry lots recently. Had blood tests in Jan for a health condition, and was told they woudl contact me if anything showed up (they kindly took extra to check my iron and B12 levels) and haven't, so can only assume that i am fine in that respect. So was hoping to start with breakfast - have always had issues with toast never filling me up, but thought porridge would work. Although I wont want that soon when the weather warms up.

dinahsmum
26-02-2006, 12:56 PM
? Add a banana/some dried apricots?
Pumpkin or sunflower seeds to nibble on during the morning?
Lots of glasses of water

Booktigger
26-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I hate bananas, but will try dried apricots, I like them (although will have to wait till a filling has been done, they really hurt my tooth at the mo).
Tried those years ago and wasn't impressed, but will give them another go.
I only drink water and fruit teas at work (Ok, the occasional hot choc too, but I don't drink coffee or tea), but have to watch the amount of water in this weather, as it makes me really cold - the lady who tested me for Reynauds did explain it is normal, and to try drinking plain hot water, but I can't tolerate that either.
am just a very odd person!!

dinahsmum
26-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I quite like hot water - although have only taken to it recently. Perhaps add a slice of lemon, or just a tiny splash of Ribena to give it a 'hint of' taste.
Here's a link to a GI site. All the low GI foods are 'slow energy release', so may be worth looking at.
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet/glycaemic_index_tables.htm

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 01:20 PM
How about some yoghurt sweetened with honey??

EmmaG
26-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I quite like hot water - although have only taken to it recently. Perhaps add a slice of lemon, or just a tiny splash of Ribena to give it a 'hint of' taste.
Here's a link to a GI site. All the low GI foods are 'slow energy release', so may be worth looking at.
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet/glycaemic_index_tables.htm

Good site DM :)