PDA

View Full Version : Catflaps.

Snoof
25-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Ninja's about two, and we're not sure he's ever used a catflap before. In the next few months, we'll be getting two kittens, so we're going to put in a catflap (rather than leaving the kitchen door open and freezing to death :roll:) with a magnetic lock, and put the side that doesn't open unless the cat has a magnet on the inside so Ninja won't have to be stopped from going out (he hates being kept inside) while they have to stay in.

I'm a little worried that he won't get how it works. He's skittish, so it's not like we can just show him - he likely wouldn't appreciate being that close to feet.

I've been thinking maybe we can make the catflap hole in the door and use the door without the catflap in it for a few weeks so Ninja'll be used to using that hole to get in and out, before putting the catflap in. Does that make sense? Am I worrying over nothing?

dinahsmum
25-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Think that sounds a very good idea - but only when the weather improves!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

Snoof
25-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Until we do that the kitchen door's wide open 24/7 though, DM :lol: The conservatory's outside the kitchen door, so atm we humans are just freezing for the feline companion!

Emm
25-02-2006, 03:33 PM
when I moved to my house I had to teach all my cats how to use a catflap - I had lived in a flat before. I propped the catflap open and left it like that for a couple of weeks - they soon got used to it and worked out how to get back in. I've heard another way is by putting some really tasty meat or fish on one side of the catflap and let the cat work out how to get to it.

Kazz
25-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Suggestion for the catflap - when mine were tiny tiny I held the catflap flap bit up for them with a old fashioned clothes peg worked a treat:)

Donna
25-02-2006, 10:07 PM
When I had my catflap installed Chloe sussed it out within a few minutes. Over six months down the line, Misty still cant work it out.... so not sure whether you will have any luck or not....

Snoof
25-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Suggestion for the catflap - when mine were tiny tiny I held the catflap flap bit up for them with a old fashioned clothes peg worked a treat:)
Did you peg it to something or did you just use the clothes peg to hold it open a little bit? I'm thinking if I just sand down the edges of the hole, it'll be ok to leave it with the hole and no catflap for a few weeks (better than the open kitchen door anyway :roll:).

Thing is, while Ninja is very smart, he's also very skittish and wary... So I'm worried that if he's not introduced to it gradually he may just decide it's too much fear and uncertainty to be worth it.

Kazz
25-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi
I have just spent 15 minutes trying to write a reply and can't explain it properly at all :roll: I will get a peg and take a picture tomorrow to show you, my advice especially if he's skittish get a clap flap thats clear so he can see through it before he goes out my two treated the see through cat flaps as windows and spent hours just looking out of it :roll: mind you they are both daft:roll:

Okay one last try to expain.....
A peg in both corners/sides so the flap up in the air on the side that opens outwards ie away from the main part of the house. So he does not think its a trap :) does that make sense??? so the flap is not above his head - honest he'll get it and get a cat flap that locks 4 ways amazed how useful that is one that locks in the locks out then locks completely then is open.

Snoof
26-02-2006, 12:01 AM
OHH! So you mean high up on the doors, nearly in the corner between the door and the flap?

Mags
26-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Cassie took one day to get used to her catflap......it is a clear one (I call it her window!:roll: ). It is also a 4 way lock one, same as Kazz described, very useful to avoid other cats getting in.

I just used to hold the flap open for her to go out a few times and she soon got the hang of it.........mind you, I had to do the same thing outdoors until she learnt how to get back in!:lol:

Snoof
26-02-2006, 01:15 PM
:lol: Mags!

I'm not so worried about other cats coming in - there's no cat flap between the conservatory and the outside, but we've not had other cats coming in at all. On one occasion I remember one trying and Ninja giving it a good old dose of what-for - the only other time I can think of was the other day when a big gorgeous red tom tried to get in and my friend scared it off.

Kazz
26-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Thats it in the corners high up.:D

Sweet
26-02-2006, 03:15 PM
No cat flap here, were the ones freezing with the door left open every time Violet is out.

Looking forward to Summer LOL

Snoof
26-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Thats it in the corners high up.:D
What a brilliant idea! I think I may do a combination - leave the hole with no flap for a week, then put the flap in and put the clothespegs on for another week... Then taking off the pegs and seeing if he can figure it out.

Donna
26-02-2006, 06:41 PM
What a brilliant idea! I think I may do a combination - leave the hole with no flap for a week, then put the flap in and put the clothespegs on for another week... Then taking off the pegs and seeing if he can figure it out.

I tried that too!!! But Misty still cant work out how to use a flap:shock:

I am really gonna try an intensive training course in the summer - she even sits and watches Chloe go in and out and still cant do it :roll:

Will be hard - if she cant work it out then she doesnt go out to play!!! :D

Mags
26-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I tried that too!!!
Will be hard - if she cant work it out then she doesnt go out to play!!! :D

Oooh you are a hard mum Donna!:lol:

Donna
26-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Oooh you are a hard mum Donna!:lol:

I am fed up constantly sitting by the cat flap Mags!!! She stands right at the flap and just waits for me to lift it. I have started to push her so her nose touches the flap and it opens so she might realise how to open it herself, but that is just asking too much. If I push her nose and it opens she goes out, but she hasnt realised what has happened.:shock: :roll:

dinahsmum
26-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Poor thing! :?
Sounds like she was 'behind the catflap' when they were handing out the brains! :)

Kazz
26-02-2006, 07:08 PM
I am fed up constantly sitting by the cat flap Mags!!! She stands right at the flap and just waits for me to lift it. I have started to push her so her nose touches the flap and it opens so she might realise how to open it herself, but that is just asking too much. If I push her nose and it opens she goes out, but she hasnt realised what has happened.:shock: :roll:

Maybe she's just one of lifes watchers - :)

Mags
26-02-2006, 07:09 PM
What do you do when she wants to come back in Donna?
If you leave it long enough (like 2 days:shock: no, I'm joking!!:-D ) she will start to nudge the flap herself, especially if it is near her food time...

Donna
26-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Once I have pushed her through I tend to hook up the flap so it is open so she can get back in, but at the moment it does cause one rather nasty cold chilly draught through my kitchen!!!

I have this long piece of ribbon that I have tied to my radiator which is near the catflap and then there is a loop on the end that fits over the flap to hold it open!!!

Brainless Misty will have to learn cos I dont want another winter of my kitchen feeling like the Antarctic!!

Mags
26-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Donna I wouldn't open or leave the flap open for her as she will never learn that way. When she wants to come back in she will get fed of of just staring at the flap and start nudging it herself.....

Donna
26-02-2006, 07:55 PM
But she has to be able to get in Mags, cos of that nasty bullying cat that constantly harrasses my kits. I did have it shut one day as I forgot to hook it up and the cat chased Misty and she smashed into the French doors and then the cat had her cornered and went for her. Scared she will get attacked again.

Mags
26-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh I forgot about the bully Donna:roll: :? I suppose it will have to be a case of patience then.....perhaps when it gets warmer she will get a bit more adventurous.....

Donna
26-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh I forgot about the bully Donna:roll: :? I suppose it will have to be a case of patience then.....perhaps when it gets warmer she will get a bit more adventurous.....

Summer I will book her in for her intensive training course!!:p

Mags
26-02-2006, 08:01 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kazz
26-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I forgot about your bully cat he/she doesn't come through the flap does he - may be one reason she is unsure of going out :? just a thought.

Donna
26-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I forgot about your bully cat he/she doesn't come through the flap does he - may be one reason she is unsure of going out :? just a thought.

Yes Kazz, as I have to leave the flap open, it does come in the house a lot. Comes in and steals all their food and scares them half to death. It even broke through the magnetic lock on the flap:shock:

Kazz
26-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Hmmm thats not nice see its the one thing I was nervous about when my two got older especialy Oscar - as he kept other cats at bay - but the dogs fulfill that role perfectly - Cleo sleeps safely because the dogs keep other cats at bay.

Karen

Donna
26-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I need a dog sitter for my cats then!!

That cat is the reason they are so timid and wont go out in the garden for more than ten minutes at a time.

Snoof
27-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Maybe if you put some smelly food she really likes on the other side, Donna? Ninja's easily plied with food, provided the food is not near any toes (this reminds me of DM's suggestion to start feeding him stuff off my toes :lol: but I think that needs to be postponed until after he's seen the vet - or maybe before would be better in case my feet turn out to be toxic! :lol:).