PDA

View Full Version : sreious question so please dont laugh at me

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok, i just KNOW you are all going to think me loopy, but i never had an adult girl cat before and i have a rather sensitive question about princess freya ( am getting fed up typing all that now so maybe should say PF form now on lol_)

Do girl cats usually have long nipples?

(ok when you stop laughing you can read on )

I know it sounds odd, but princess finally trusts me enough to let me comb her belly, and i noticed her nipples are really long. I dont know if that's normal, or not?

(i can still hear you laughing STOP IT)

lol :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Mine don't. Both short haired and you'd actually have to look to find their nibbles.................I know 'cos I just have.
They're not happy at being up-ended and examined and are both sitting herumphing at the indignity of it!

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:27 PM
lol, aww the poor things.
Tell them I said I am sorry for asking silly questions that mean they get upended!

Mags
24-02-2006, 03:41 PM
I need a magnifying glass to see Cassies:roll: :lol:
Are you sure PF isn't pregnant CK?:?

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:44 PM
oh crumbs that's all i need a pregnant cat!
vet felt her tum tum, surely she would have noticed? UNless not noticed cos she unerweight?

i was told she spayed but then can i believe anything i was told seeing as they "thought " she was a girl about two???

Hmm, keeping eye on her now!!!!!!!!!

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I need a magnifying glass to see Cassies:roll: :lol:
Are you sure PF isn't pregnant CK?:?
Mags - you're brave - I thought but didn't ask!
Bags I the ginger boys!
Eek :shock:

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:47 PM
DM that NOT funny!
you cant wish princess pregnant with ginger boys jsut cos u want one

to be honest that WAS my first thought BUT as u say I didnt want to say it.

OK well,s he on kitten food and royal canin anyway so is on good quality food. See how she goes.

Where the feline pregnancy testing kits in the chemist? lol
(I KNOW I KNOW< YOU CANT GET THEM I@M MESSING)

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:50 PM
erm guys.........would that be why she a fussy eater and only eats small amounts several times a day?????

I thought it was jsut cos of the change of food.
How can i find out if she is for sure?????

Mags
24-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Hope I haven't worried you CJ but that was my first thought.....do you know if she has ever had kittens?

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Don't know - you'll need to ask Kay or somebody else who breeds

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 03:53 PM
If she is pregnant (enought to have pronounced nipples) she's verrrrry thin. Keep up the good work on feeding good stuff.

Luke
24-02-2006, 03:54 PM
erm guys.........would that be why she a fussy eater and only eats small amounts several times a day?????

I thought it was jsut cos of the change of food.
How can i find out if she is for sure?????
Going off food and being select at how much they intake CAN be a sign of pregnancy...

random
24-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh dear I hope she isn't poor likkle mite :( Tabs nipples are really small, you have to look for them to see them...

Best of look CJK, maybe give vets a ring and have a chat?

CJK
24-02-2006, 03:56 PM
oh god! now i really worreid FOR HER, she is so thin, bless her.
ok, am off to google this and see what i can find out.... bless her heart.
wonder if that why they wanted her sold? they didnt seem to caremuch about her etc. poor babes

random
If she is pregnant (enought to have pronounced nipples) she's verrrrry thin. Keep up the good work on feeding good stuff.

That's what I thought, she is very thin so I doubt it, maybe a phantom?

yola
Back to the vet CJ - and sharpish!!! :shock:

Fifi's nips are virtually invisible BTW . . .

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe it's a Persian thing? - PM Yola if she doesn't spot this?

Luke
24-02-2006, 03:57 PM
It may be possible thats shes not long had a litter and finished rearing them...but also could be preggers
Both my girls have microscopic nipples, feel honoured CJ i actually had a look!!lol

CJK
24-02-2006, 04:01 PM
well i just hope you look:roll:ed at the CATS nipples luke!!!!!;)

gotta get kid fromschool, then gonna ring vets

Kazz
24-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Thank God I am not alone I have just turned Cleo over (and she is not happy she was sound asleep) and looked never thought about it before but you can't see her's either. She is short haired and her belly is white. Unless you move the fur you can't see them - even her baggy bit of belly (old age)

I would go straight back to the vets and ask - to methat would be a sign that she has very recently had kittens or that she is going to have kittens

Unless of course it to do with the fact she is a little underweight but I would say kittens:(

Karen

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Found this article CJ (beware the music!) - will go off and look for more
http://www.merrydancercats.btinternet.co.uk/poppys_pregnancy.htm

and this from the Purina site

How can I tell if my cat is pregnant?
If you do not get your cat spayed, they cat may become pregnant. You will not be able to tell if your cat is pregnant until the 2nd or 3rd week of the pregnancy. The pregnancy will last 63 days. Signs may include enlarged nipples (may change colour & harden to prepare for lactation) and a swollen belly from around 4-5 weeks.
We would recommend taking your cat to the vets for a check up to confirm pregnancy. Once there, the vet should be able to advise the best course of action.

and another

Weeks 3 and 4 - Days 15 - 28

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.edwards1/catsconnect/images/Breeding/Chapter0401.jpgAt this point the queen should give you some indication that she is indeed carrying precious cargo. The first most noticeable sign is the pinking and enlarging of her nipples (usually referred to as ‘pinking up’), the fur on her belly will become thinner and move away from the nipples leaving a small bare circle (perfect for little mouths to suck without getting a mouthful of mum’s coat). Maiden queens may not pink up as visibly as expected (more experienced queens may light up like a beacon and get nipples like ‘coat-hangers’). Some queens also suffer from morning sickness and go off their food for a little while. Her coat will become glossy and she will look and feel on top of the world, purring to herself on many occasions - some queens get that 'glassy-eyed and content' look that many human mothers experience at five to six months (just before they become unbearably fat, awkward and miserable). At this point it may also be possible to feel the kittens as small ball-bearings placed along the uterus - be careful though as too much prodding and poking could cause damage

Mags
24-02-2006, 04:45 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: .....Watch this space!

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 04:48 PM
PS
You get some 'Don't go there :shock: ' results when you google for nipples pinking up :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

CJK
24-02-2006, 04:49 PM
oht hanks dm , off to look at that.
Watch this space indeed! and there was me thinking i was going off my trolley for asking!!!!!!!

thanks everyone, I'll be getting her to vets asap

CJK
24-02-2006, 04:50 PM
DM, what WERE you loking at????
Think we best keep our eye on you and look, looking at "dont go there" nipples!

Mags
24-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Do you know if she was allowed outdoors CJ....or was she an indoor cat?

dinahsmum
24-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you know if she was allowed outdoors CJ....or was she an indoor cat?
Don't I remember that she wasn't allowed indoors?

CJK
24-02-2006, 04:59 PM
no, she was kept indoors, but the woman had a few ragdolls, am sure one was a boy!
i ahve emailed her but doubt i'll get a reply, tried phoning and left a message too.

Moli
24-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Could she just have had a season before she was spayed??? One of my dogs is the same she had a season, the other two aren't they did't have seasons...

CJK
24-02-2006, 05:06 PM
cat out of the bag only take debit/credit cards and i cant find smylees website at all, keep looking though. Just off to peek at dms link

Sweet
24-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I am no help with your questions CJK - but will be watching this thread for any news. Violets nipples can hardly be seen.

Maybe more kittens :) you will have your hands full ! LOL

CJK
24-02-2006, 05:10 PM
oh so arent a cats nipples always pink then?
( see what i mean about never having had a girl cat b4 lol)

Thank god for you all here to ask so many questions of. Princess freyas are DEFINATLY pink and very long, though not fat. I been trying to get a picture of them ( yeah i kow i am going completely barney today) but with the flash on all u get is white glare and without you cant see a darned thing!!!!!!

I cant tell if she got a rounded belly or not, and prob wouldnt tell from this anyway.
rang vets, they cant fit her in until next friday, they said not to worry, cos it not an emergancy and just hang on until friday unless she becomes ill or soemthing.

CJK
24-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Could she just have had a season before she was spayed??? One of my dogs is the same she had a season, the other two aren't they did't have seasons...

I was told they hadnt seen her have a seasen but only had her for 3-4 weeks, as it was thier friends cat who couldnt look after her anymore.

But as said before, i am not sure how much of what they told me to belive anymore.
Just keep feeding her and giving her love and see how we go for now

smudgley
24-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Just caught up with this thread CJ.
Here are my thoughts:)
*Firstly if her nipples are very pink - this could be a sign of pregnancy.
*If they are enlarged, this could be a sign of pregnancy, but could also be a sign of her being recently off a litter.
*If she is recently off a litter, her hair may be falling out, I know her coat is not in great condition, but she looks in "good coat" from the photos, (does that make sense?) What I mean is - she could be knotty & grubby through lack of grooming, but is her coat dull / dry / falling out? If so, this may indicate she's recently off a litter.
*you asked if the vet should have been able to tell by feeling her abdomen if she is pregnant & you thought maybe not as she is so thin. 2 points there. 1) the vet would not neccasarily be able to feel if she is pregnant. 2) The vet would be more likely to feel her pregancy as she is thin, but it would actually be harder to feel her pregnancy if she was fat.
*there are 2 ways to determine pregnancy 1)an ultrasound scan (this is what I do, if you were near I'd come & scan her for you) 2)the other way is by taking an x-ray, which I would never do just to diagnose pregnancy.

So unless you want the expense of paying for a scan, the best thing to do is sit tight. Give her plenty of premium quality food & wait & see what happens.

PS Don't want to sound harsh - but if my vet couldn't see me for 7 days - I'd be changing vet pretty sharpish!

CJK
24-02-2006, 07:51 PM
managed to get some piccies, not that it will help i guess...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/cjk231176/P1010143.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/cjk231176/p1010142.jpg

CJK
24-02-2006, 07:55 PM
she not loosing her coat really, just the usual amount i would expect when combing her. I tried to gently feel her tummy and it feels kinda firm, but i never felt a cat tummy before so i have no idea.

the vet just said can we wait until friday as it not important and they really busy,and they said that if she JUST pinking up ( i think that the expression used) that she may only be 2-3 weeks, and given another week they should hopefully be able to feel it better.

the vets in our town are pretty crap anyway, but until i can drive i am stuck.

(oh and i edited this jsut to say THANKS SMUDGLEY!!!)

Donna
24-02-2006, 08:02 PM
I have no advice CJ as both my girl kitties were speyed as soon as they were old enough. But I cant see or feel their nipples. Sometimes get little white areas on Misty's black coat if she is laying flat on her back with her belly upwards, but that is just where the fur isnt growing on the nipples.

dandysmom
24-02-2006, 10:30 PM
It's beginning to sound likely that she is pregnant; all my females were spayed at the right age, & all had almost minuscule nipples, white, not pink...just checked Leia (who didn't appreciate it:roll ) same with her. Surely the people who had her before would have known if she had had a litter?? Or maybe it was before they got her? I remember reading somewhere that some Persians come into heat VERY quietly without the usual rolling & calling...keep us posted CJ, will be watching this space..and you are NOT loopy!!:-D

CJK
24-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Had she been mine fomr a kitty she would have been spayed.
Previous so called owners know very little about her it seems. they said they only ahd her 3-4 weeks!
If i was even looking after a cat i'd ask her name,age, spayed or not, any litters, vaccinated, etc etc.

But not some people! Once i saw her i just couldnt leave her though.

but anyway she is now In a loving caring home ( not bragging here jsut saying she wasnt b4 obviously) and hopefully i can gt her into better health and do what i can for her.
I'll do whatever i can for her.

Moli
24-02-2006, 10:43 PM
At least she is safe now CJ, and will get all the love she deserves...

CJK
24-02-2006, 10:45 PM
i was actually a ittle upset yesterday, i carried her upstairs with me at night and put her on my bed, after about two minutes she ran off. It's as if she hasnt been allowed to go upstiars before, she hardly goes upt here and when she dos if one of us goes up she comes crawling down cowering poor thing.
She'll soon learn that the bed is comfy lol

Mags
24-02-2006, 10:47 PM
She will soon know what it is like to be spoilt CJ!;) :lol:

dandysmom
24-02-2006, 10:48 PM
"So-called" owners is right on!! Let's hope she HAD a litter & isn't pregnant now:roll: With all you have on your plate now, you don't need kittens!! (But they are so adorable..) From the pictures, the nipples don't look anything like a female who never kittened or wasn't pregnant???

CJK
24-02-2006, 10:52 PM
well if she does ahve kittens we will cope.
I'll be making a big fuss of her and my kids adore her. Elliot laughs so much when she headbutts him. she wrey of me a little still, and dont yet know what she like with men, she only once come to me for a fuss. mostly she is perched in the cat tower sleeping or washing.
I am amazed at how long one cat can wash for!!!! she goes on for hours sometimes. But i cant walk past her without at least a little tickle behind the ears!!!
Feel so sorry for her cos she could have had the msot awfull life, and the poor baby cant tell us.

She did play with the cat roundabout toy today which i was really pleased about.

sometiems there are some people who just deserve THE BIGGEST kick in the shins ever. and thats being polite about it.

Phill
24-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Your Vet Could Not See You For 7 Days! My Vet Mill See Me Same Morning And The Pratise Is Huge Lose Of Cats And Dog.

Sorry Can Not Help You On The Hipples>

dandysmom
25-02-2006, 03:30 AM
well if she does ahve kittens we will cope.
I'll be making a big fuss of her and my kids adore her. Elliot laughs so much when she headbutts him. she wrey of me a little still, and dont yet know what she like with men, she only once come to me for a fuss. mostly she is perched in the cat tower sleeping or washing.
I am amazed at how long one cat can wash for!!!! she goes on for hours sometimes. But i cant walk past her without at least a little tickle behind the ears!!!
Feel so sorry for her cos she could have had the msot awfull life, and the poor baby cant tell us.

She did play with the cat roundabout toy today which i was really pleased about.

sometiems there are some people who just deserve THE BIGGEST kick in the shins ever. and thats being polite about it.
Know what you mean about the most awful life: when I got Patches I was her 5th (at least!) home: she had obviously never been brushed & cringed when I tried to do it; also had never been allowed on furniture, apparently, when she saw Dandy or Misty jump on the sofa, etc., she looked at me with the most astounded expression, as if to say "Aren't you going to swat them?" Enough to break your heart:cry: :cry: Thank God PF has found a forever home with you...

CJK
25-02-2006, 06:52 AM
well my other cats go where they like, on the sofa on the ebds, Mr darcy even gets IN the beds. They have free range of the home, as should be where possible.
Mind you I dont much like twix's new found habbit of peeing in my bath!!! I have seen him doing it the last 3-4 nights, never known him do it before. Needless to say the bath now gets disenfected before anyone gets in it lol.

PF is eating well, small amounts here and there, and seems to prefer the dry food over wet. I am leaving it down all the time for her, but it's kinda not good for chubby boy oatmeal, he meant to be on a slight diet.

HAve tried getting him more active but he dont wnna know.

PF still pooping on the floor though, despite me putting a litter tray down. She wee's in it, soi cant figure out where the rpoblem is, maybe she doenst liek the litter, but thats y i changed to wooden.
Cos she keeps going on newspaper am going to try lining bottom of tray with it.
Other than that i'm stumped how to get her to use the litter tray all the time.

oh well, enough waffling

Booktigger
25-02-2006, 10:22 AM
CJ, sorry to go slightly off subject - you mention Twix weeing in the bath. This can be a sign of cysitis, and is more common in males, so he needs to see the vet - some will give you tablets without a urine sample, some need a sample before they can give you anything, so might be worth ringing first. As for her not using a tray for pooing, if she is happy pooing on newspaper, just put newspaper in one tray, and if she starts using it then, gradually introduce litter.

CJK
25-02-2006, 01:12 PM
thanks for the advice, i'll get twix an apopintment, problem i got is theyre now shut until monday. Only open 9.15 -9.45 saturdays.
I thought he was doing it cos he was shut in ( had to lock the cat flap so princess can't get out)
But best to be on the safe side now i know.

Snoof
25-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I have to say she looks astonishingly comfortable in the pictures I've seen of her, CJK. Ninja still only looks like that when I'm petting him (which he decided yesterday he's allowing me to do again :D) - although clearly their lives have been different.

I'm guessing Mr Darcy's presence might also be helping her. I hope Twix is ok and I agree with your vets that it should be easier for them to tell if she's pregnant by next Friday - given she's not about to pop out a litter I'm not so fussed that they asked you to wait to be honest. If it were an emergency, I would be, but it doesn't strike me as one given you're feeding her top of the range stuff.

She'll hopefully soon learn not to be afraid. Have you tried taking her upstairs and then fussing her, or is she a bit nervous about being fussed, still?

CJK
25-02-2006, 02:16 PM
i can coax her upstairs by calling her, but she still not too keen on being picked up. Which if she IS pregnant i can understand. She not got the podgy belly so no isnt gonna pop out a litter just yet!
she certainly lvoes the royal canin persian food, which is good cos she getting good stuff into her. she even purred this morning lol

Snoof
25-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Awww, that first purr is so special :smt049 She's a very lucky little girl to finally find a loving home.

Booktigger
25-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Am glad to hear that CJ - it 'could' just be cos he was locked in, or it 'could' just be cos he is reacting to the newcomer, but you always need to get the medical side ruled out first. I also find it annoying that vets dont open for long on a Sat - I know they are entitled to time off, but why not give them a day off during the week and let them work on a Sat?
Am glad to hear she is purring now, it is such a brilliant thing. Fingers crossed she isn't pregnant, but at least she is on high quality food now.

CJK
25-02-2006, 09:20 PM
i think it daft they dont open on saturday for longer, a lot of people work weekdays and only have weekends for non-emergancy stuff.
Even if they shut for one or two afternoons aweek and opened saturday it would be better.
Even if you dont work all the time you often have to wait until monday if it non-emergancy.
Will keep close eye on him and take him monday morning, will jsut arrive and say " iw as hoping you can fit us in" lol. If we're there they might do

mishmunnypenny
25-02-2006, 09:56 PM
hi CJD, couple of things.. my vet is open saturday mornings, they never make me wait for an appointment and they arent very far from you :) I think I know the vets you mean, I had a friend use them once, she doesnt any more..!

Also, when I took Star in, I also found one of my boys suddenly started peeing where he shouldnt. I didnt connect the two, but suddenly he was peeing blood and needed a rush trip to the vets. He is ok now (we think, he's still taking the pills), but the vet put that down to the stress of the new cat. If you can get a sample, it might make all the difference to him.

don't know anything about pregnant females though, sorry, although with five girls I've hardly ever seen any nipples!

CJK
25-02-2006, 09:58 PM
my brother goes to swanspaul in wellingborough but i dont drive so i am pretty much stuck with whats here really.
Twix didnt do this when we got darcy, but first thing monday we will be there and amke sure we get something done.

mishmunnypenny
25-02-2006, 10:05 PM
bit difficult if you don't drive.. swanspool are rubbish too though!

hope Twix is ok :)

CJK
25-02-2006, 10:10 PM
well they been good to my brother. A lot of people from rushden go there.