PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree/pedigree crosses - why?

dinahsmum
23-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I seem to be seeing lots of adverts for pedigree/pedigree crosses
Bengal/Burmese
Maine Coon/Siamese**
Birman/Oriental
for instance (all available now, apparently)
I'm wondering - why?
Is the cat world moving to the new dog fad (Labradoodle, Springador etc)?
Will the results of the cross be an improvement on the parents?

I tend to think that the cat world has quite a lot of natural variety and doesn't need this sort of intervention, but I'd be very interested to hear other opinions, particularly from breeders.

** What on earth would these be like?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

CJK
23-02-2006, 12:59 PM
i dont see that as any different to breeding moggie,s after all they started out as cross breeds.
Further down the line instead of having a birman bengal cross you'll ahve a bit of birman a bit of begalk a bit of soemthing else a bit of another cat.

i think it's all a bit daft really

Luke
23-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Hmmmn not sure why, but siamese cross Maine coon seem very fetching cats from what i've seen.

CJK
23-02-2006, 02:41 PM
oh some of these purbreed crosses are very stunning looking, but surely if the purebreeds are corss bred then they arent purbreeds and as i said down the line we'll end up with tonnes more moggies.

Luke
23-02-2006, 02:44 PM
oh some of these purbreed crosses are very stunning looking, but surely if the purebreeds are corss bred then they arent purbreeds and as i said down the line we'll end up with tonnes more moggies.
Oh yes i know this, and don't in anyway dispute it;)

CJK
23-02-2006, 02:46 PM
mind you, there are some gorgeous moggies about!!!!!!!!!

Booktigger
23-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I have major issues with pedigree crosses - they might look cute, but in my opinion, they are not being bred for the right reasons. Responsible breeders will breed to better the breed, and I don't see how people who allow cross breeds can do that, especially when some of the breeds can't be registered as the associations dont' allow those crosses. So, in my opinion, all you are doing is breeding moggies, just ones that are going to be slightly higher in demand cos they can say it is an x cross.

Rosie
24-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Probably putting my neck on the block here but anyway - being primarly a dog person but who shares her home with a cat too - I just see it as another way of making money. People always like something a bit different and if it looks either pretty or unusual you are on to a winner. Rescue centres all over the country/world are killing thousands of dogs (and I presume cats) each year but we still keep breeding them:mad: I am sure there are a lot of genue breeders who how many more just in it for the money.

bobbie3917
24-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Hmmmn not sure why, but siamese cross Maine coon seem very fetching cats from what i've seen.

but they will look just like a big moggie, they will not be pointed as MC dont carry pointed colours at all and they will not be long coated as Siamese dont carry the long coat gean both need 2 of each to come though, so if you get 1 that is either long coat or pointed colour they are not what they are said to be

bobbie3917
24-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I seem to be seeing lots of adverts for pedigree/pedigree crosses
Bengal/Burmese
Maine Coon/Siamese**
Birman/Oriental
for instance (all available now, apparently)
I'm wondering - why?
Is the cat world moving to the new dog fad (Labradoodle, Springador etc)?
Will the results of the cross be an improvement on the parents?

I tend to think that the cat world has quite a lot of natural variety and doesn't need this sort of intervention, but I'd be very interested to hear other opinions, particularly from breeders.

** What on earth would these be like?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

i think its a lot to do with ppl getting pedigree cats that are not on the active reg so no good stud owner will let them use there stud so they will look for any1 that is willing to take there money and they don't care what breed
and the thing is, its easy to say you have a maine coon or nfc if its big and fluffy or a Bengal there not all spotted.

bobbie3917
24-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Probably putting my neck on the block here but anyway - being primarly a dog person but who shares her home with a cat too - I just see it as another way of making money. People always like something a bit different and if it looks either pretty or unusual you are on to a winner. Rescue centres all over the country/world are killing thousands of dogs (and I presume cats) each year but we still keep breeding them:mad: I am sure there are a lot of genue breeders who how many more just in it for the money.

hi have to agree with you by here Rosie
the see that they are crosses and think well they must be cheeper than a pedigree and most of the time there not

borderdawn
25-02-2006, 07:49 AM
These breeders are no better than crossbred dog breeders, all for money,cant be for anything else really IMO, and I agree with Bobbie, a lot look like moggies, so what was the point in the first place?
Dawn.

bagpussarah
01-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to reply.

I have two tortoishells and had a siamese x who died 15 months ago. She was a rescued cat and she lived to be 18. I loved her dearly and still miss her. She had such a lovely nature and was devoted to us. I wanted to have another cat who would be a lap cat as my other two aren't. After much research I decided to go for a pedigree Siamese,purely for the personality. Anyway...I saw an advert for Siamese kittens and contacted the people selling them. They were not breeders and told me that the kittens were not pedigrees but that the mum was a siamese/bengal x and the dad was a pedigree siamese. I went to see them, as the owners had informed me that they had wanted to have just one litter from their two cats as they had such wonderful personalities and hoped that this would be passed down to the kittens. They weren't wrong!! The kittens were raised in a wonderful family enviroment, and our little Casper who is now 5 months old has such a fantastic personality that we will never regret getting him.

The point I am trying to make (in a roundabout way) is that people like myself often choose a cat because we know that we will enjoy sharing our family with them. It was important for us to find the right cat for us and not whether he or she is a pedigree or not.

Sarah

bobbie3917
01-03-2006, 12:38 AM
hi Sarah i have no problem with no pedigree cats (i have owned enough of them) and im sure no 1 else on here has either.

2 points,
1) any1 that has a litter of any animal is a breeder be it kittens, pups, bunnies, snakes what ever

2) did you pay a lot of money for your kitten?

im sure he is a cute boy and you are pleased with him but why do they do it? its not to better the breed, to my its just to make money and if they feed the kittens right and they give them all there jabs and take the cost of the litter they wont be making much

how old was your boy when you got him?

Booktigger
01-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I am glad you got a nice cat Bagpusssarah, but the prob is with these people who get two pedigrees and think that the kittens will be nice - they dont register them, they might not have breeding rights - they could be pet quality only and not 'good enough' for breeding, they don't know if there are any genetic faults they will be passing on (although each cat should be fine if they are a good pedigree, you don't know what will happen when you start crossing them), and as one female can have 8 kittens, it only takes a couple of people and it is a lot of kittens needing homes - these could potentially take homes away for kittens and adults in rescues. Slightly off subject, sorry, but people who 'just want one litter' really annoy me as well.

bagpussarah
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi again,

I agree that it is better to have cats neutered as all mine have been so far, and Casper will be next month when he is 6 months old. I also agree that it is not necessary for a cat to have a litter. Previously all my cats have been rescue cats and I was originally going to have an adult Siamese from a rescue. However, after discussing it with the lady who runs one of these rescues, I decided to go for a kitten as she felt a male kitten would get on better with my two adult torties.

The point I was trying to make was that although I looked to get a pedigree at first, I was attracted more to the personality of the mum and dad cats than I was to whether they were pedigrees or not. I did not want to breed from him, I just wanted a cat who would be a great addition to our family. The couple I bought him from also made it clear to me that he was not a pedigree.(his mum is a bengal/siamese x and dad is pure siamese.)If I had seen him without his parents, I would probably not have realised that he isn't,as you cannot tell he has Bengal in him, until he meows that is!!

I really just wanted to answer the question that someone had asked as to why people bought pedigree x. Sorry to go round the houses, but my answer to that is...I didn't set out to have a pedigree x but the right cat for our family just happened to be one.

CJK
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I dont have a problem buying/rescuing/being given any cat, pedigree, moggie, pedigree cross breed at all.
but I dont see the point of cross breeding pedigrees. What if iw ere to breed Princess freay and mr darcy, both cats are pedigrees, though not GCCF registered. IS that ok? can i sell kittens for hundreds of pounds and tell people "oh well theyre lovely kittens" ( which i am sure they would be), but why do that for any reason other than moeny??

I cant see any other reason, but before you all go getting angry, I am NOT planning on doing that, jsut making a point.

OH BTW Mr D booked for his chop 13th march!

deester
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
If it wasn't for someone crossing a snow bengal with a BSH silver tabby I wouldn't have two of my lovely cats, I personally love the look of my cats the striking colour of the snow bengal with the more rounded features of the BSH cat. Incidently I have read that some bengal breeders have tried to breed in a little BSH, though it is has been scorned by other bengal breeders.

We took as much time & care choosing our crosses as we did our pedigree cat and previously moggies bearing in mind how long they can live, how much they cost to keep, which as we all know here is a hell of a lot.

I don't see the problem lying so much with people who breed cats whether pedigree or pedigree crosses, a breeder of pedigree or cross pedigree cats will not let his cats roam and just mate with anything. The problem lies more with irresponsible owners who let there un-speyed or un-neutered cats out resulting in un-wanted litters and very often ferral litters.

CJK
01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
i think ignorance plays a huge part in this. There are those who have genuine ignoreance, IE they dont know the facts about FIP etc, ferrals, shelters unwanted cats. In which case I say you should look it up before getting a cat, and then there are those who plead ignorance.
Either way thier idiots in my opinion.
Before i get any pet i try and research it. It doenst make up for experience, hence my numerous psots here asking questions lol, but i wouldnt think of getting a pet without first looking up all the facts.

Nothing wrong with moggies either, two of mine are.

There's an ad on ad-mart i think it is, for kittens, mum a something ( cant rememebr what breed) and it says dad? So i emailed her saying dont you know who the father of them is. Her reply?
"no dont have any idea, let her out and she came home pregnant one day"
DUH! of course she will if not speyed. but they dont seem to know about, or in most cases care about, the infections, illnesses diseases etc that they could be open to, and dont care that thousands of cats each year are PTS cos they cant find homes.

If only these people would open up thier eyes and see the wider picture.
FOr instnace Princess shouldnt have been allowed to get pregnant, had she been mine froma kitten she would long ago ahve been spayed, as she isnt GCCF registered, and therefore shouldnt be bred from.

But thats just my opinion