PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cat books?

dandysmom
22-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Reading Random's post about her Siamese kitten reminded me of one of my very favorite cat books: "Cats in the Belfry", and its sequal, "Cats in May"; also another one that I loved, "The Cats of Punchbowl Farm". These are both by British authors, but popular here. They are all funny & so true to the catness of cats...anyone have any suggestions about favorites?

CJK
22-02-2006, 06:20 AM
I havent read any cat book other than osbournes guide to cats n kittens lol.
I do all my research based reading online.
Sad arent i!
i read a lot of other books, virginnia andrews, and the such

yola
22-02-2006, 10:59 AM
There is a great book for older kids (although eminently readable by adults too) called Basil the Bionic Cat by Cathernine Garnell.

I got to know this lady via another cat website, and she very kindly sent a copy of her book (signed) for my little boy . . . he'll have to grow into it but I'm sure he'll enjoy it as much as I did.

dinahsmum
22-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Loved the Mog books when my kids were little. (I believe Mog went to the bridge in the final book? :shock: Glad we had passed the age of reading thm before that happened!)

Loved this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/mycatlikestohideinboxes.jpg
- obviously written by a true cat person.

yola
22-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Actually - I bought some books in Mothercare for Domi recently, and one was called 'A Kitten Called Moonlight'. It's about a little girl who spots a tiny white kitten in the middle of the night and persuades her mother to set out into the wild and story beach to rescue the kitten. It's a lovely delicate little story with a happy ending and Dominik loves it!!

It's also beautifully illustrated :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/DCARead.jpg

dandysmom
24-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Actually, what I meant & should have said, was Adult cat books...the ones that I mentioned are very funny & worth checking out from the library...I'm not much of a TV watcher, & when I'm not on the computer am usually curled up in an armchair with either the crossword or a book...and either Leia or Patches on my lap (never together, unfortunately, they don't like one another too much:cry: )

Luke
24-02-2006, 08:44 AM
OOoh well i love the following:
Meet My Cats-Lesley Anne-Ivory
Stray-A.N Wilson
Martins Mice-Dick King Smith
Six Dinner Sid- Inga Moore

and a whole load of others!!:D

LMC
24-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I really enjoy Derek Longden's books - funny and touching, well worth looking out for. The first two or three really only mention the cats in his life in passing...

Diana's story (about his wife, who died from ME)
Lost for Words (about his mother)
I'm a Stranger here Myself
The Cat who came in from the Cold
and a couple of others, which I forget, but a hunt for Derek Longden on Amazon will find them.

I also love Paul Gallico's Jennie - a really sweet story about a little boy who turns into a cat (or does he?) and the streetwise stray who helps him learn to survive - bit of a tearjerker!

I have an absolutely beautiful copy of a book written by a cat! - I'm at work and am racking my brains for the title - but it's a cat's biography with advice on how to handle their humans - written a few years ago now. I have a glossy edition with some fabulous photos, will post details later (unless anyone can hazard a guess at which one I'm talking about, I'll probably recognise it!)

James Herriott's Cat stories are lovely too.

dandysmom
24-02-2006, 10:36 PM
LMC, thanks for mentioning the Paul Gallico book; I have been racking my brain to remember the title of that one (LOVED it!) ; that's the one with the quotation "When in doubt, wash" !! Guess I'll have to check Amazon to find the title..Definitely a great read:D

smudgley
25-02-2006, 12:34 AM
LMC - Alices diary ;)

dandysmom
25-02-2006, 03:15 AM
LMC, the book we're trying to think of is "The Silent Miaow"! Had to go to Amazon to find title...also, checked Derek Longden & the only one we have here in the States is "The Cat Who Came in From the Cold"...I have put a hold on it at the library...liked the reviews...will let you know what I think after reading. Thanks for the tip:)

LMC
25-02-2006, 04:46 PM
The Silent Miaow is the one :D - thanks dandysmom.

The other 2 Derek Longden titles I couldn't think of were Enough to make a cat laugh and A Play on Words.