PDA

View Full Version : Problem behaviour

Rosie
21-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Morning everyone. I am new on here and have justed posted on the main pages. A few years ago I adopted two 12 week old kittens. I had them for a total of 6 months before I unfortunately had to take them back to the rehoming centre who said they would probably be rehomed to a farm or somewhere similar so they could spend most of their time outside. They regularly weed and pooded anywhere and everywhere including my bed - even when I was in it. They would jump on the worktops and wee. With advice I tried everything but nothing worked. They had littertrays and had constant access to the outside. My cat Rosie and all the cats my parents had when I was younger never did this. It has made me somewhat reluctant to get another cat since although I am seriously thinking about it this year.

Anyone come across this type of behaviour before and have they been successful in rectifying it?

dinahsmum
21-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow - that was a problem wasn't it?
Were they originally feral or semi-feral kittens?
I don't think you should let it put you off getting another kitten - if you get one that is home/house reared it should come litter trained at 7 or 8 weeks.

Smudgley, who does a lot of fostering and rehiming for Cats Protection, may have more words of wisdom.

Rosie
21-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I got the two kittens from a rescue centre but they had only come in about 20 minutes before I adopted them and had come in a taxi. The driver had been asked to drop them off. They could possibly have been ferral but they were not shy and didn't mind being handled.

Fran
21-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Rosie, welcome to Catpages. I am sorry you have had such a bad previous experience of rehoming. I am sure that your experience is not the norm and hope that you will consider getting a new kitty in the future. DM's advice regarding getting a home raised kitten is very good advice. I would just steer clear of getting one that has been raised on a farm or has had an outdoor existence. Good luck whatever you decide and please let us know if you get your new kitty :)

Jac
21-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Rosie. Welcome to CP. Sorry you had such a horrible time of it with your two kittens. I wouldn't let it put you off though. As Fran said go for home reared one's. Then you know that they are well cared for (or should be). I'm sure your next kitten will be just fine.